Active shooting situation in El Paso mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My prayers are not only with the family's and people of Texas but are also with the family's of people affected by any type of violence anywhere.

Some people think taking firearms away from everyone will solve the problem. It will not. You can't remove the hate from someones heart. They will find another way. They always do. You first have to find out what makes people do the horrible things they do. This will never happen because you can't read someones mind. One of the thing we can do is to look out for the signs. If you see something tell someone who can make a difference and stop someone from doing horrible things. In almost every case there have been signs and no one has done anything about it till it was too late.

To think banning or removing firearms from private ownership is the answer, please think about this...

In 1990, 87 people were killed in one night, by one person, in one location. The person was mad at an ex girlfriend. He had confronted her in her place of work and was removed from her place of employment. He went down the street and purchased One dollars worth of gasoline poured it down a set of steps and lit it on fire killing 87 people. Eighty seven people died. This was the Happy Land social club fire in New York City. This is not the only mass killing case where people have died it is just one example.

Until we find out what makes people do this we will not prevent evil people from doing evil things. They will find a way.

Some times taking only one side of an argument on the internet and fighting with people only makes it worse. People will dig in and refuse to hear any other options that might actually be helpful. Then nothing gets accomplished.

I don't know the answer but I think to prevent this type of thing from happening we have to find out what makes people do the horrible things they do.

I have to admit, I do believe it's almost impossible to stop these shootings (sadly). Even if they said no more guns can be sold in the US, I do believe these sick/evil/demented individuals would get their hands on a gun(s) or find another way to kill. Sadly, I think this is reality. There is no easy answers to this epidemic. I am not blaming social media but I do believe it has everything to do with these shootings. When we were kids, parents watched the 5 o'clock news and we grew up not really knowing everything that was going on. Now, kids find out so much on social media and some who have a propensity towards mental illness/evil doings, can get caught up with all evilness that is out there and carry out evil acts.

Ya know, this made me realize that my position on this is a little contrary to my position in the balloons at Disney thread ... where I believe small environmental actions are meaningful even if there are still bigger problems to solve. Not logical to take the stance that small actions are meaningful on one issue and not on another. So maybe there is something small I can find here to do here. I will think about it. Sorry to anyone I irritated by my comments.

This is how change happens. It all starts with one person willing to acknowledge that maybe they need to rethink their stance.

I don’t know you, and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m proud of you.

-The majority of time people talking about gun regulation are not talking about taking all the guns away. People can’t have an honest conversation if others are not willing to frame it correctly. I own guns and support regulation.

-The Dickey Amendment. Written by politicians owned by gun lobbyists is the reason we will never have this answer. We can’t know how to fix it, because its written into our law that we can’t spend federal dollars studying it and learning how to prevent/fix/curb this problem.

I am going to say this knowing I am going to get points taken away and this post will be deleted. You can't have a conversation about extremists mass murdering people over and over again without mentioning the politics around it. If people say, " we have to find out what makes people do this" there is no way around not mentioning the LAW that exists in the United States that prevents us from knowing this answer.

By the same token you have to realize that the vast majority of pro-gun people are not against some regulation. The extremes have to be taken out of it for a change to happen.

But the pp is right in one thing. If there is enough hate and anger to kill, the one that is angry and hateful will find a way to kill. No gun—use fire, use a vehicle, use a bomb.

I have no issues in looking at what gun regulations will help but we have to ALSO look at other issues.

Meh. A few days ago a roadside bomb in Afghanistan killed 32 people on a bus. Stuff happens.

No “stuff happens” is going to the store and seeing they’re out of my favorite bags of potato chips. These are people’s lives. You didn’t really think this through

By the same token you have to realize that the vast majority of pro-gun people are not against some regulation. The extremes have to be taken out of it for a change to happen.

But the pp is right in one thing. If there is enough hate and anger to kill, the one that is angry and hateful will find a way to kill. No gun—use fire, use a vehicle, use a bomb.

I have no issues in looking at what gun regulations will help but we have to ALSO look at other issues.
I know this, so we have to come together and stop being afraid that the extremes on either side are going to take over. We have to look at ALL the issues that contribute to this.

Feeling hopeless today with this second mass shooting in 24 hours. My facebook newsfeed is SILENT on the issue. It's like no one notices or cares anymore because they know it's fruitless to talk about it.

Feeling hopeless today with this second mass shooting in 24 hours. My facebook newsfeed is SILENT on the issue. It's like no one notices or cares anymore because they know it's fruitless to talk about it.
It's weird right? It's sad to watch Americans giving up.

Agreed. Only a few fringe goofballs think we should take all guns away or allow people to open carry military grade assault rifles.

I would think White Supremacist Terrorism would be a much better way to phrase it, rather than White Terrorism. That seems to paint an entire race as terrorists, and would be no better than saying “Black Terrorists.”

This country is a mess right now, because both sides call each other names, categorize each other, yet fail to listen and try to understand that someone can believe differently than you and not be the devil.

You can believe in enforcing immigration laws and still believe yesterday’s shooting was a heinous and unforgivable act. I do think social media plays a huge part in this.

Mass shootings are a relatively recent development in a country with generous gun rights. To many people today, being famous is the be all and end all. Throw in some serious emotional issues (because I don’t think emotionally healthy people do this) , access to a gun/ability to kill with a vehicle/knowing how to make a bomb, and mix that with someone who KNOWS their actions will have the entire world talking about them, and you have a recipe for disaster. The only aspect of that which I has changed over the past few decades is social media and the desire for fame at all costs.

Personally, I do not get the craving for fame/infamy, but that is what our society rewards today.

I agree.

Mine is now but before church time it wasn’t and I imagine many more will post after 12 or so. I don’t we have given up. I think it’s reaching a point where all sides will see a reason to come to the table to discuss changes needed.

I would think White Supremacist Terrorism would be a much better way to phrase it, rather than White Terrorism. That seems to paint an entire race as terrorists, and would be no better than saying “Black Terrorists.”

This country is a mess right now, because both sides call each other names, categorize each other, yet fail to listen and try to understand that someone can believe differently than you and not be the devil.

You can believe in enforcing immigration laws and still believe yesterday’s shooting was a heinous and unforgivable act. I do think social media plays a huge part in this.

Mass shootings are a relatively recent development in a country with generous gun rights. To many people today, being famous is the be all and end all. Throw in some serious emotional issues (because I don’t think emotionally healthy people do this) , access to a gun/ability to kill with a vehicle/knowing how to make a bomb, and mix that with someone who KNOWS their actions will have the entire world talking about them, and you have a recipe for disaster. The only aspect of that which I has changed over the past few decades is social media and the desire for fame at all costs.

Personally, I do not get the craving for fame/infamy, but that is what our society rewards today.
And you can work towards immigration reform without propaganda, rhetoric & draconian methods that fuel ppl like this killer. Perhaps when there is a change on that front, they’ll be a change on the other.

My prayers are not only with the family's and people of Texas but are also with the family's of people affected by any type of violence anywhere.

Some people think taking firearms away from everyone will solve the problem. It will not. You can't remove the hate from someones heart. They will find another way. They always do. You first have to find out what makes people do the horrible things they do. This will never happen because you can't read someones mind. One of the thing we can do is to look out for the signs. If you see something tell someone who can make a difference and stop someone from doing horrible things. In almost every case there have been signs and no one has done anything about it till it was too late.

To think banning or removing firearms from private ownership is the answer, please think about this...

In 1990, 87 people were killed in one night, by one person, in one location. The person was mad at an ex girlfriend. He had confronted her in her place of work and was removed from her place of employment. He went down the street and purchased One dollars worth of gasoline poured it down a set of steps and lit it on fire killing 87 people. Eighty seven people died. This was the Happy Land social club fire in New York City. This is not the only mass killing case where people have died it is just one example.

Until we find out what makes people do this we will not prevent evil people from doing evil things. They will find a way.

Some times taking only one side of an argument on the internet and fighting with people only makes it worse. People will dig in and refuse to hear any other options that might actually be helpful. Then nothing gets accomplished.

I don't know the answer but I think to prevent this type of thing from happening we have to find out what makes people do the horrible things they do.
not many are suggesting that. when a first grade class got shut up the one request fro grieving parents was to outlaw high capacity magazine, a product that has no use other than mass killings. Not required for any legitimate gun use. Not much to ask for such a tragic event. Of course it never even got a vote.

not many are suggesting that. when a first grade class got shut up the one request fro grieving parents was to outlaw high capacity magazine, a product that has no use other than mass killings. Not required for any legitimate gun use. Not much to ask for such a tragic event. Of course it never even got a vote.
The US decided after Newtown that gun violence was bearable. Those in power decided collectively that “there is nothing we can do about it”. And here we are now. I wonder where tomorrow’s mass shooting will be. Maybe in my town, maybe yours.

I think that it's important to figure out what makes these people tick. Why do they hate so much? What are they so afraid of?

In the meantime, people shouldn't be afraid to go shopping. This is not going to be solved immediately but it would be nice to see something done. Something besides more and more security that is.

I think a lot has to do with being PC and not calling out the crazies when we see them. Can't do it in schools, can't do it on the job, can't ... Have to be sensitive and not label people and blah blah blah. And all we can do is wait for the crazies to carry out their demented acts before something can be done. This guy was posting his thoughts on social media, no? He had this manifesto yet no one flagged him. He should have been put away. Even today, in the PC, they mentioned not being able to disclose what he has been saying because he has RIGHTS. I say screw HIS rights. Step 1 is to flag these potential killers. Flag them and put away the extreme cases (like Sandy Hook). Just my opinion.

Also, like that they are not saying his name. I think we need to make less out of these attacks in the media. They want to notoriety so don't give it to them.

And punishment should be quick and harsh. Some sort of deterrent. Kinda wish he had just been shot by LE like the Ohio guy. Maybe they should put him in a cell with some Mexican cartel and turn their backs. (I say this kind of tongue in cheek but he should get a swift and harsh punishment, maybe lawmakers can come up with something there...there is no doubt he was the shooter so skip the long drawn out trials).

ANd, yes, even as a gun rights person I do believe we need to do something with gun laws. If he was flagged due to his craziness then he should not be allowed to buy a gun. And these assault style guns need to be banned. And those bump things too.

I am posting with emotion. Just saw mentioned on news that a 2 month old suffered broken bones as the mom fell over her to shield her and then the mom was shot dead. Terrible awful...I HATE it!!!!!

Oh, and, praying can't hurt so why not do that too in conjunction with some other changes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter