Active retirement communities near Disney...

When my parents moved to Solivita (2002), it used to take an hour+ to get to the parks. You could only use two lane Poinciana Parkway(?). We did one vacation where we stayed at their house and went to the parks every day. Never again. :P

It has gotten better, but our kids have "aged out" of Disney. We'll do a VRBO if we go for an extended stay.
Up to a couple of years ago you had to use Poinciana Blvd which is a two lane local road. A few years ago a new road, Poinciana Parkway, opened up. It's a two lane limited access toll road that brings you up to the Champion Gate area. In 2021 construction is going to start increasing the Parkway to a four lane divided highway.

You might want to take into consideration the Brightline train that's supposed to be coming to Disney Springs. That would make a lot more Florida communities more easily accessible.

I live in north Tampa and can drive to Disney in about an hour and a half if there are no traffic problems, but there are rarely no traffic problems, and it seems to get worse every year. Once the train starts running between Tampa and Disney Springs, it'll be really tempting to make the 30-minute drive to downtown Tampa and just hop on the train and relax in comfort rather than fight the traffic to Orlando and (even worse) back.

You might want to take into consideration the Brightline train that's supposed to be coming to Disney Springs. That would make a lot more Florida communities more easily accessible.

I live in north Tampa and can drive to Disney in about an hour and a half if there are no traffic problems, but there are rarely no traffic problems, and it seems to get worse every year. Once the train starts running between Tampa and Disney Springs, it'll be really tempting to make the 30-minute drive to downtown Tampa and just hop on the train and relax in comfort rather than fight the traffic to Orlando and (even worse) back.
I'm REALLY looking forward to the Brightline train! We bought in Del-Webb Land O'Lakes and DD lives in Windermere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter