Activating annual passes?

k5thbeatle

DIS Veteran
I am assuming they no longer send out "physical vouchers" for annual passes these days? What do you need to do now to activate an annual pass if you decide to buy one for an upcoming trip?

How early can the annual passes be bought prior to an upcoming trip? We are looking at just 1 trip in Sept 2019 and staying for 3 to 4 weeks. But have no idea how far in advance we can buy the annual passes? We are hoping there might be some annual passholder room discounts that we will be eligible for if we are able to pre-purchace the annual passes earlier enough?

How early can the annual passes be bought prior to an upcoming trip? We are looking at just 1 trip in Sept 2019 and staying for 3 to 4 weeks. But have no idea how far in advance we can buy the annual passes? We are hoping there might be some annual passholder room discounts that we will be eligible for if we are able to pre-purchace the annual passes earlier enough?
The current vouchers have an expiry date in mde if 2030 so you can buy the AP at any time.

Disney will be happy to take your AP $ at any time. ;-)

How familiar are you with AP room discounts? I'd suggest posting on the Resorts/Discounts board, you'll get plenty of feedback.

But FYI, you don't have to have an AP purchased to book a resort room with an AP discount. You just have to have it when you check in. It doesn't make much sense to buy one now for something that far away (you're just letting Disney have a lot of your money today with no benefit to you).

Also just in case you don't know, AP room discounts act like all other resort discounts... availability can be limited and varies by resort, room type, time of year/promotion, etc. Just because you have an AP doesn't automatically mean you get a room discount. (Sorry if you already know this).

Hope that helps!

Disney will be happy to take your AP $ at any time. ;-)

How familiar are you with AP room discounts? I'd suggest posting on the Resorts/Discounts board, you'll get plenty of feedback.

But FYI, you don't have to have an AP purchased to book a resort room with an AP discount. You just have to have it when you check in. It doesn't make much sense to buy one now for something that far away (you're just letting Disney have a lot of your money today with no benefit to you).

Also just in case you don't know, AP room discounts act like all other resort discounts... availability can be limited and varies by resort, room type, time of year/promotion, etc. Just because you have an AP doesn't automatically mean you get a room discount. (Sorry if you already know this).

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much for the detailed information...we are total newbies in regards to anything AP related...coming from Australia never thought we would ever be getting an AP...so literally just started contemplated getting one for 2019 trip this week...so currently reading this site constantly to learn, learn, learn...so much to learn. I will definitely check out the resorts/discounts board next...they should be able to help me with knowing if we would be eligible for the discount...as arriving late from Australia first day would mean we would not have activated our actual annual pass on that first day we arrive to resort

Thanks so much for the detailed information...we are total newbies in regards to anything AP related...coming from Australia never thought we would ever be getting an AP...so literally just started contemplated getting one for 2019 trip this week...so currently reading this site constantly to learn, learn, learn...so much to learn. I will definitely check out the resorts/discounts board next...they should be able to help me with knowing if we would be eligible for the discount...as arriving late from Australia first day would mean we would not have activated our actual annual pass on that first day we arrive to resort

There is a little bit of wiggle room with actually having your AP activated / the card with you when you check in. They aren't going to not give you a room / honor your discount (if you've booked with one) if you check-in without it active, especially with a late arrival. If that does happen, they will likely just ask you to present it the next day, if at all.

Happy planning!

You cannot see the AP room discounts online if you do not have an AP. But you can call and they will tell you what's available. Once your AP is on your MDE, you can see them.

OP - if you buy your AP through Disney and have MDE, it will automatically be linked to your account. I just take my ID and a MB to a ticket counter, they scan my MB and know I have an AP. They "activate" it and give me the discount card. I have never had to show anything with a bar code, just my MB. Of course, I have a number of MBs associated with my account so that helps but if you are staying at a Disney resort, you will already have your MB when you get there and it will already be associated with your account so it works the same. If you aren't staying at a Disney resort, you can buy a MB ahead of time and associate it with your account and I'm assuming it would work the same way. I've found the ID and MB are all I need to activate the AP. Make sure after you have that you always have your card with you if you want to get the discount at restaurants and for merchandise and always have your ID with you, 99% of the time they are going to ask.

Hi , I buying an annual pass for June , can i use this yto get discounts on hooe de doo before I receive my pass

They send you a barcode in an email and you take that to a ticket counter on site.
It will expedite the AP activation at the Guest Relations or Ticket Booth if you also have with you the credit card that you used to purchase the AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter