• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accurate description of Mission Space Orange?

Moxiepup

Mouseketeer
I've been debating on whether to go on Mission Space Green or Orange. Can someone please verify if what I'm imagining is so? From what I've been able to gather, it seems like Orange is like a carnival cyclotron, or round-up (which I used to have no problems with), and that in addition, the seats tilt up or down, while spinning, to coincide with the image on the screen. Is this fairly accurate? If not, how does it differ?

I've found that as I've gotten older, I can get motion sickness much more easily than when I was younger. It's like every time you get nauseated by something, it stays in the background of your system and ups the ante for the next time you do something that throws off your inner ear. A nausea bank, if you will! I rarely got motion sickness when I was younger. I'll be taking Dramamine just in case, but really don't want to be woozie for part of the day either, as I've heard happens to some people.

I've found that as I've gotten older, I can get motion sickness much more easily than when I was younger. It's like every time you get nauseated by something, it stays in the background of your system and ups the ante for the next time you do something that throws off your inner ear. A nausea bank, if you will!.
you want Green.

The cyclotron description is exactly how I would put it. If that gives you issues, it would be best to stay green.

Orange you'll see a screen that will show your on the liftoff platform and you'll be tilted back and will feel some G force as you go through take-off. then once in 'space' you have a few seconds of not feeling much force or pressure or movement, until you land and well then, at least for me, its alot of all of that.

I would say ride green, and don't take the Dramamine. There's no point in feeling druggy for a good chunk of the day just for a 6-minute ride. Especially when you can experience everything BUT the sickening motion anyway, lol.

The last time i rode it i took my nephew with me who was 7. We rode orange because I told everyone its not that intense. Well it was actually more intense than i had remembered. But everyone made it through ok and my nephew loved it. I would say in your case you should do green.

Yes, it is like a cyclotron or "Gravitron" type of centrifuge ride, but it does not give you full G's the whole time. You will only feel the extreme pressure at three times during the ride for about 10 to 15 seconds each time. The rest of the time the spinning is slowed a lot and you feel "weightless" (due to the difference in going from the higher Gs to fewer). It is not full-tilt the whole time like most carnival rides do.

I've been debating on whether to go on Mission Space Green or Orange. Can someone please verify if what I'm imagining is so? From what I've been able to gather, it seems like Orange is like a carnival cyclotron, or round-up (which I used to have no problems with), and that in addition, the seats tilt up or down, while spinning, to coincide with the image on the screen. Is this fairly accurate? If not, how does it differ?

I've found that as I've gotten older, I can get motion sickness much more easily than when I was younger. It's like every time you get nauseated by something, it stays in the background of your system and ups the ante for the next time you do something that throws off your inner ear. A nausea bank, if you will! I rarely got motion sickness when I was younger. I'll be taking Dramamine just in case, but really don't want to be woozie for part of the day either, as I've heard happens to some people.
I think the difference between the cyclotron and M:S Orange is that you are in an enclosed area so you don't have all the additional visual stimulation from spinning. As a point of reference: I can't spin in the tea cups and I could not do the old Body Wars. Star Wars and M:S Orange make me feel the same way: a little background nauseous that goes away in about 15 minutes. That being said, the take-off is one of the most awesome moments in WDW (IMO ;)) so I wouldn't want you to miss it even if you're feeling nervous. I've never been on the Green side but I suspect what make me a tiny bit sick is not the spinning but the virtual reality aspect (all the bumps and tilting) of the ride.

I don't get motion sick but I felt like I was going to pass out on Mission Space Orange during the 3 high speed spin part. My legs and arms felt all tingly and I was seeing spots.

I get motion sickness so I always avoid this ride. That being said would I not get sick on the Green?

I never got motion sickness until I was an adult. Now I do not get extreme motion sickness but it's enough to make me not want to ride spinning rides. The first ride I EVER got motion sick on was Mission Space Orange. I pretty much thought I was going to die for most of the day. It was miserable. I'd say if you're going to ride, save it for the end of the day so your entire day isn't potentially miserable.

Stick to green...

I get motion sickness so I always avoid this ride. That being said would I not get sick on the Green?

Green doesn't spin. Green is only a slight tilt plus the visuals on the screen and a little motion as you land etc. It's like star tours without 3D and with a mainly broken ride vehicle. :)

Op the thing about orange is that you're not supposed to feel the spin. With cyclotrons you are absolutely supposed to feel it. They make sure of it. On Orange the spin is done to cause your body to feel the Gs of taking off into space.

While there are some who state they followed the rules (and I'm not doubting what they state, but since I'm not with them watching (then I would get sick!) I can't use wording that indicates absolute knowledge) and still felt sick, if a person follows the rules/instructions exactly they aren't *supposed to* feel the motion as spinning. They *should* feel it as pressure like they are hurtling out of the atmosphere.

You might be one that feels sick despite following instructions. Or maybe you won't. No way to know.

Thanks everyone!

I think the difference between the cyclotron and M:S Orange is that you are in an enclosed area so you don't have all the additional visual stimulation from spinning. As a point of reference: I can't spin in the tea cups and I could not do the old Body Wars. Star Wars and M:S Orange make me feel the same way: a little background nauseous that goes away in about 15 minutes. That being said, the take-off is one of the most awesome moments in WDW (IMO ;)) so I wouldn't want you to miss it even if you're feeling nervous. I've never been on the Green side but I suspect what make me a tiny bit sick is not the spinning but the virtual reality aspect (all the bumps and tilting) of the ride.

I think you're right about the visual reference thing, and that's what's got me concerned. I can do a cyclotron fine, and a tilta whirl, but not the tea cups! On a cyclotron, I usually look at the person across from me, and have never felt remotely sick. It's probably been several years since I've been on one though! The last time I rode a plane, I felt a twinge of queasiness while looking out the window though, which is not usually like me. I'm not liking the way middle age is betraying me! I'm still a kid at heart and don't want to miss what could be an awesome ride. I wonder if I did start to feel sick, if closing my eyes and imagining myself on a cyclotron would work?

I never got motion sickness until I was an adult. Now I do not get extreme motion sickness but it's enough to make me not want to ride spinning rides. The first ride I EVER got motion sick on was Mission Space Orange. I pretty much thought I was going to die for most of the day. It was miserable. I'd say if you're going to ride, save it for the end of the day so your entire day isn't potentially miserable.

This is what I'm worried about! If I do decide to ride Orange, it will definitely be at the end of the day. Probably single rider, as DP, who gets motion sickness just looking at swings, will never try Orange ever!

Yep, you may not realize you're spinning, but like you said, it's that inner ear thing! And IT knows you're spinning. I'm prone to motion sickness too, but I let my DS talk me into getting on with him. IF you can get your eyes to focus on one spot, and only one spot, that will help some. But easier said than done. Unfortunately, my eyes wanted to follow the moving objects on the screen. I should have focused on something else on the control panel that wasn't moving. I wasn't "done for" after getting off the ride, but I definitely felt some nausea with a slight headache. I was glad I tried it at least once. But once is enough for me. I don't like Dramamine, so I brought some ginger candy for our trip. Ginger is fairly good at calming nausea. But you need to take it before going on, and maybe again afterwards. Definitely try the green side. And if you do decide to go for it, save the orange side for the end of your day. That way you can head back to your room. And don't get on with a full tummy, and wait at least an hour after eating.

Thanks everyone!

I think you're right about the visual reference thing, and that's what's got me concerned. I can do a cyclotron fine, and a tilta whirl, but not the tea cups! On a cyclotron, I usually look at the person across from me, and have never felt remotely sick. It's probably been several years since I've been on one though! The last time I rode a plane, I felt a twinge of queasiness while looking out the window though, which is not usually like me. I'm not liking the way middle age is betraying me! I'm still a kid at heart and don't want to miss what could be an awesome ride. I wonder if I did start to feel sick, if closing my eyes and imagining myself on a cyclotron would work?

This is what I'm worried about! If I do decide to ride Orange, it will definitely be at the end of the day. Probably single rider, as DP, who gets motion sickness just looking at swings, will never try Orange ever!
They warn you not to close your eyes on Orange. I think if you look at the screen you'll be fine. There is no single rider for M:S but I've noticed that standby is not usually too bad.

We rode green and I thought it was still a fun ride, walking out we were behind some that just got off orange. One guy was bent over constantly spitting in the bushes and one boy had a barf bag and started dry heaving. Seemed like it must have been a lot of fun...

We rode green and I thought it was still a fun ride, walking out we were behind some that just got off orange. One guy was bent over constantly spitting in the bushes and one boy had a barf bag and started dry heaving. Seemed like it must have been a lot of fun...

Definitely end of the day... IF...
:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone!

Closing your eyes and/or looking away from the screen makes it 10x worse

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter