• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accidental Rise of Resistance timing

luvallprincesses

DIS Veteran
We are planning our first trip to California to do both Universal Studios and Disney the first week of March 2020. I reserved our hotel on Marriott points previous to the announced opening of Rise of the Resistance six weeks prior to our arrival. (It’s my daughter’s college spring break so our dates aren’t flexible.) I know crowds with Galaxy’s Edge have been unpredictable, but does anyone have any insight as to if we will definitely regret this? We’ll be doing Disney parks Tuesday-Friday, 4 day passes.

A few other questions, if anyone has insight:

1. We’re booked at Springhill Suites Maingate listed as 0.7 miles away. Anyone with experience on this walk and/or shuttle service? Or feedback on this hotel in general?

2. We’re planning to fly in from the east coast on Saturday, booked at Sheraton Universal Saturday and Sunday night, doing the park on Sunday and hoping to do some LA/Hollywood things on Monday, then head to Anaheim Monday evening and flying home on Saturday. Do we want a car for our family of 4 with this itinerary? Airport to Universal to Anaheim to airport. We LOVE not having to drive around WDW, enjoy the break if driving in unfamiliar places while on vacation. But what makes the most sense for this itinerary?

Thanks for any help!

I can't answer as to Rise of the Resistance, but as to your other questions.

1. It's walkable. I did it when I stayed near the Anaheim Convention Center and walked the back way, via DTD.
2. You could Uber/Lyft but you'd probably need a XL. I don't think you'll need a car while at DLR.

We’re booked at Springhill Suites Maingate listed as 0.7 miles away. Anyone with experience on this walk and/or shuttle service? Or feedback on this hotel in general?
I previusly had the booked up until a few days before our trip then got a killer deal on the Sheraton so we made a move there. You will be close, but walking there is a bit of a challenge. You really can't sneak over to Disneyland Drive very easil and walk in as you run into cast member parking and my understanding is they won't let you through. Option 2 walk down Walnut street and turn onto Magic drive then down to Downtown Drive. Option 3 use the shuttle, I've read some mixed revews about it from SHS:MG, many opted to just Uber to Downtown Disney, that was our plan.

We are planning our first trip to California to do both Universal Studios and Disney the first week of March 2020. I reserved our hotel on Marriott points previous to the announced opening of Rise of the Resistance six weeks prior to our arrival. (It’s my daughter’s college spring break so our dates aren’t flexible.) I know crowds with Galaxy’s Edge have been unpredictable, but does anyone have any insight as to if we will definitely regret this? We’ll be doing Disney parks Tuesday-Friday, 4 day passes.

A few other questions, if anyone has insight:

1. We’re booked at Springhill Suites Maingate listed as 0.7 miles away. Anyone with experience on this walk and/or shuttle service? Or feedback on this hotel in general?

2. We’re planning to fly in from the east coast on Saturday, booked at Sheraton Universal Saturday and Sunday night, doing the park on Sunday and hoping to do some LA/Hollywood things on Monday, then head to Anaheim Monday evening and flying home on Saturday. Do we want a car for our family of 4 with this itinerary? Airport to Universal to Anaheim to airport. We LOVE not having to drive around WDW, enjoy the break if driving in unfamiliar places while on vacation. But what makes the most sense for this itinerary?

Thanks for any help!
If you are using points, the springhill at the convention centre is the same category and an easier walk. I looked at the one on Ball but couldn't find a clear answer on the best way to walk.

The walk from the convention center hotels are a lot easier and safer IMHO. Springhill suites there is one of the better situated being right at the corner. With a CVS to boot.

Since you prefer not to drive, I agree with the recommendation to take Uber/Lyft XL. You'll need the larger vehicle to accommodate your luggage.

Try to time your departure Monday evening for after rush hour, if possible. As long as you do your best to avoid traffic, Uber/Lyft XL will probably be cheaper than the cost of a rental car + parking fees.

I'll be there the week before you, then!

I'm down for whatever and don't mind regarding the RoTR opening. I'm excited to attempt riding it, honestly.

I previusly had the booked up until a few days before our trip then got a killer deal on the Sheraton so we made a move there. You will be close, but walking there is a bit of a challenge. You really can't sneak over to Disneyland Drive very easil and walk in as you run into cast member parking and my understanding is they won't let you through. Option 2 walk down Walnut street and turn onto Magic drive then down to Downtown Drive. Option 3 use the shuttle, I've read some mixed revews about it from SHS:MG, many opted to just Uber to Downtown Disney, that was our plan.
The Sheraton is showing less points but only for a King bed and sofa couch. With an 18 year old daughter and 13 year old son that’s probably not a great option for us. Springhill is 2 beds plus a sofa. Maybe it’s worth calling Marriott if the Sheraton is nice?

If you are using points, the springhill at the convention centre is the same category and an easier walk. I looked at the one on Ball but couldn't find a clear answer on the best way to walk.
The Springhill Suites convention center is not available on points, at least for our dates. It’s showing family suites only for cash. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The walk from the convention center hotels are a lot easier and safer IMHO. Springhill suites there is one of the better situated being right at the corner. With a CVS to boot.
The Springhill Suites convention center is not available on points, at least for our dates. It’s showing family suites only for cash. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The Sheraton is showing less points but only for a King bed and sofa couch. With an 18 year old daughter and 13 year old son that’s probably not a great option for us. Springhill is 2 beds plus a sofa. Maybe it’s worth calling Marriott if the Sheraton is nice?
Yeah might not work out best, with the ages of your kids the walk and/or Uber will probably be fine.

As far as the Sheraton, we found it to be great. I'd stayed once before, and felt the same way. The only concern I had was the temp in our room wasn't as low as I wanted and no way to correct it. You can read my review here. If it were any time but summer during a heat wave into the 90s I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Thanks for all of your help. A few Moore questions:

1. What is going to be the best mode of transportation for each leg of our trip? Airport to Universal Studios for 2 nights (staying at the Sheraton Universal), then transfer to Springhill Suites Maingate at Disneyland for 5 nights, then back to the airport. Do an Uber XL for each of those legs or arrange some of those transfers ahead of time?

2. Before I start researching ticket options too much, can anyone tell me where to start pricing out 1 day at Universal (or will we want 2 days and not do any Hollywood/LA attractions?) and 4 days at Disney? And along with that question, should we spend the money on MaxPass and/or hoppers for some/all of our 4 days? I was originally thinking no with 4 days but...back to the title...Rise of the Resistance opens a few weeks earlier and might change the game.

Thanks for all of your help. A few Moore questions:

1. What is going to be the best mode of transportation for each leg of our trip? Airport to Universal Studios for 2 nights (staying at the Sheraton Universal), then transfer to Springhill Suites Maingate at Disneyland for 5 nights, then back to the airport. Do an Uber XL for each of those legs or arrange some of those transfers ahead of time?

2. Before I start researching ticket options too much, can anyone tell me where to start pricing out 1 day at Universal (or will we want 2 days and not do any Hollywood/LA attractions?) and 4 days at Disney? And along with that question, should we spend the money on MaxPass and/or hoppers for some/all of our 4 days? I was originally thinking no with 4 days but...back to the title...Rise of the Resistance opens a few weeks earlier and might change the game.
1. Try asking in this thread for up to date, specific info: Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information.

2. Check Mousesavers.com for any ticket deals for USH and DLR -- all vendors listed there are legit. For MP questions and great help, ask here: Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy.

We didn't need even a full day for Universal on our last visit. The one in Orlando is a lot bigger. We left about 3 or 4 and went back to DL for the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter