• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accessible locations beyond the parks

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
Hi all, can you possibly recommend any accessible (powerchair) must sees or just nice places for family trips for us to enjoy together, when we fancy non park days.

We will have a rental vehicle and lots of time, so would welcome any ideas.

This will be my first time travelling profoundly disabled after 17 years of twice yearly visits to disney world in peak fitness, so the whole thing is going to be a huge learning curve.

Honestly feel hugely anxious, and want so much for my illness and physical condition to not spoil all the treasured memories the kids and my wife (and indeed I) have of our special place.

Therefore want things in my head that I know I can choose to do that won’t cause too many issues.

Not going until next summer all being well PG 🙏 but this is such a huge deal I’m getting working on it now… Thanks ever so much.

Last edited:
We enjoy just exploring the resorts - buildings (including lobbies, shopping, restaurants, elsewhere) and grounds, including taking some time to just sit and relax and sit and people watch. Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing (architecture, animal viewing, activities). We also love Wilderness Lodge, Poly, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary. A fun activity we enjoy is doing a "monorail resort tour" - taking the monorail and getting off at and touring around at our own pace each of the monorail resorts and their grounds, often grabbing something to eat at their QS restaurant, even if just a snack. We especially like this during the holidays when each resort is decorated.

In December 2019 we had a fun few hours doing this: We were staying at AKL, so took bus from AKL to DHS, then got on Skyliner. Took it all the way to Epcot. Got off and went over to Boardwalk and explored the resort then looped walking the lake the long way to Yacht Club and Beach Club and explored them then back to Epcot to board Skyliner. Took Skyliner to Pop Century. Had an early dinner (awesome pot roast!) at Pop Century's food court. Walked over to Art of Animation. Bus to Animal Kingdom park. Bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge.

There are many garden parks all around the Orlando area. One is Leu Gardens.

There's the Orlando Science Museum.

If you are willing to drive, there's the Kennedy Space Center.

Don’t forget Disney Springs - quite accessible, and an easy bus ride from every Disney Resort. (And a lovely accessible boat ride from OKW, SSR and POR/POFQ). There’s shopping, dining and quite a lot to see; if you haven’t been in the last 5 years or so, you will find that it’s *quite* different!

In addition to WL, Fort Wilderness is accessible and it’s a lovely accessible boat ride from the MK docks. There’s a little shop right there, as well as a QS (seating outside) and a bar, and one of the best buffets on property as well. Sadly, the Hoop Dee Doo Revue is not yet up and running, but I hope to hear it is again someday…

For Resort touring, you can “hub” out of any of the Theme Park bus stops, or you can also use Disney Springs bus stops as a “hub”. All of those buses should be accessible.

There’s other stuff you can do besides Resort tours (although we love to do that on every trip!) like go to TTC and pick a Monorail line or a boat line and just make the round trip. It gives you a different perspective! And, nowadays, you can ride a nice lovely loop on the Skyliners - just pick a point to hop on; it’s very easy to roll on/off, and they stop the car for you in a designated accessible pull out area at every station but Riviera.

Recently, one of the fireworks cruises has returned to operation - Ferrytales is a popular way to see the fireworks from out on the lake; our family loves fireworks cruises because you are less crowded, and although you can’t see the Castle, you get the full audio, and you get a beautiful perspective out on the water.

We have also done our own version of the “Dine around the Monorail” progressive meal that starts at one of the hotels with adult beverages/appetizers, then an entree/dinner meal at the next stop, and coffee and dessert at the final stop. A bit silly, I suppose, but it takes our family about 3 to 4 hours all told to complete a lovely evening.

Ask your Lobby Concierge or Club Level Concierge at your Resort for more ideas as well 🙂

Don’t forget Disney Springs - quite accessible, and an easy bus ride from every Disney Resort. (And a lovely accessible boat ride from OKW, SSR and POR/POFQ). There’s shopping, dining and quite a lot to see; if you haven’t been in the last 5 years or so, you will find that it’s *quite* different!

In addition to WL, Fort Wilderness is accessible and it’s a lovely accessible boat ride from the MK docks. There’s a little shop right there, as well as a QS (seating outside) and a bar, and one of the best buffets on property as well. Sadly, the Hoop Dee Doo Revue is not yet up and running, but I hope to hear it is again someday…

For Resort touring, you can “hub” out of any of the Theme Park bus stops, or you can also use Disney Springs bus stops as a “hub”. All of those buses should be accessible.

There’s other stuff you can do besides Resort tours (although we love to do that on every trip!) like go to TTC and pick a Monorail line or a boat line and just make the round trip. It gives you a different perspective! And, nowadays, you can ride a nice lovely loop on the Skyliners - just pick a point to hop on; it’s very easy to roll on/off, and they stop the car for you in a designated accessible pull out area at every station but Riviera.

Recently, one of the fireworks cruises has returned to operation - Ferrytales is a popular way to see the fireworks from out on the lake; our family loves fireworks cruises because you are less crowded, and although you can’t see the Castle, you get the full audio, and you get a beautiful perspective out on the water.

We have also done our own version of the “Dine around the Monorail” progressive meal that starts at one of the hotels with adult beverages/appetizers, then an entree/dinner meal at the next stop, and coffee and dessert at the final stop. A bit silly, I suppose, but it takes our family about 3 to 4 hours all told to complete a lovely evening.

Ask your Lobby Concierge or Club Level Concierge at your Resort for more ideas as well 🙂

Although I'm not the OP, I appreciate your suggestions. I'm a little uneasy about a long wait at MK dock for an accessible boat to Fort Wilderness. My understanding was that only every other boat was accessible. That "Dine around the monorail" one sounds like a lot of fun! Do you have any recommendation on the order of resorts, or should I just figure out what works for me?

Although I'm not the OP, I appreciate your suggestions. I'm a little uneasy about a long wait at MK dock for an accessible boat to Fort Wilderness. My understanding was that only every other boat was accessible. That "Dine around the monorail" one sounds like a lot of fun! Do you have any recommendation on the order of resorts, or should I just figure out what works for me?

While it’s true that it used to be (pre-pandemic) every other boat, I’m not sure about that now…
You could always take the boat over from MK, and then take a bus back to the front of FW (or over to WL) and then use either Disney Springs or any of the Theme Parks for a “hub” to your next destination - thereby avoiding the wait at the dock.

And as far as the order for our “Dine Around The Monorail” evening, on our last trip we started at CR for appetizers & adult beverages at The Wave (oops… well… that’s gone now LOL) then went to Poly for dinner, and on to GF for dessert. The only “version” we haven’t done in a while is where we *start* at Poly, because our daughter’s favorite Disney dessert is actually Dole Whip, and so most often we start at GF, then dinner at CR and finally on to Poly to have dessert (and beverages if Trader Sam’s isn’t too crowded 🤣🤣🤣) while lounging in one of our favorite lobbies at Disney World!

You could do a modified “Dine along the River” if you had a Park hopper - you could start appetizers at HS or EPCOT, and then hop off the boat at Boardwalk for dinner, and then on to the other Park (EPCOT or HS) for dessert!

You can also do a “Disney Springs Dine Along The Waterfront” by starting at one of the docks, with appetizers at a nearby location, hop on a boat to the next dock for dinner, and then find dessert at the third dock! I love the water taxis; they aren’t the fastest, but they are fun, and it’s so pretty to see Disney Springs from the lake!

And after Oct 28th, when POFQ (*finally*!!!) reopens, you could also do a “Sassagoula Progressive Dinner” where you start at one of the Resorts (OKW, POR POFQ), and then ride the river back and forth. My personal choice there is: POR for apps/adult beverages (try to catch YeeHaw Bob’s early show!) then down to DS, water taxi to the OKW dock, then on to OKW for dinner (Olivia’s, where else?) back to the OKW dock at DS, water taxi back to the POR dock and then POFQ for dessert (beignets, of course!). That’s a longer evening (or afternoon!) because you do have to hub through DS twice, but it’s all about having a lovely, relaxing evening!

And remember that you can also do progressive brunches and lunches as well; you can even have a progressive meal *while in one of the Parks*. No rule says that you have to sit in one spot for an entire meal at WDW! 🙂

Last edited:
Hi all, can you possibly recommend any accessible (powerchair) must sees or just nice places for family trips for us to enjoy together, when we fancy non park days.

We will have a rental vehicle and lots of time, so would welcome any ideas.

This will be my first time travelling profoundly disabled after 17 years of twice yearly visits to disney world in peak fitness, so the whole thing is going to be a huge learning curve.

Honestly feel hugely anxious, and want so much for my illness and physical condition to not spoil all the treasured memories the kids and my wife (and indeed I) have of our special place.

Therefore want things in my head that I know I can choose to do that won’t cause too many issues.

Not going until next summer all being well PG 🙏 but this is such a huge deal I’m getting working on it now… Thanks ever so much.

Like you, I used to walk the parks and do great for many years. Then I couldn’t. The first time is quite scary. I’m at the point, now, that I use the chair for everything - even shopping.

We usually go to Disney Springs one day and check out the shops and eat. I’ve never had a problem at Disney Springs. When we stayed at Port Orleans, we took the boat back to the resort and they accommodated me with no issues.

We haven’t traveled outside of the Disney area, but over the years of our travel to other cities, most have accessible restaurants, shops, museums, etc.

In Boston, there was on small tour that wasn’t accessible. I went through Paul Revere’s House. However, they said they were working on installing an elevator so it would be accessible.

I think you’ll be okay no matter where you decide to go. I’ve found most places to accommodating.

Have a great trip.

We’ve stayed at SSR several times. I NEVER knew about the boat ride! Where do you catch the boat for Disney Springs? I know we’ll want to do that the next time we’re there!

We’ve stayed at SSR several times. I NEVER knew about the boat ride! Where do you catch the boat for Disney Springs? I know we’ll want to do that the next time we’re there!

There’s actually *2* docks at SSR (Treeshouses have their own dock) - but admittedly I have never used either (it’s still on my Resort bucket list!)

In the POFQ forum (here on the DIS) tonight, they did announce that the boats to/from SSR & OKW (round trip to Disney Springs) begin service again TOMORROW! I am *so* happy!!! I love the Sassagoula fleet, and the Disney Springs water taxis (exact same boats LOL) because we have spent so many happy, relaxing hours on them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter