• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

About to go for the 10th time and looking for something "different."

saxman

723 miles away
About to head for our Spring Break trip in March and have built in more flex time to find something we haven't tried yet.

1. We are driving, so it doesn't have to be WDW, but we are Disney nuts.
2. Staying 5 nights.
3. Have stayed at POP, AofA (little mermaid), Boardwalk, Swan, PO Riverside, OKW (this year.)

We have read various blogs and so forth but you guys have way better recommendations so any advice would be appreciated.

GO!

Have a nice Breakfast at Olivia's go to the pool hang for a while take the boat to DS walk around eat go back to the pool watch the movie under the stars they show that night you can also watch the bands, bowel, go to Disney quest and a huge amount of other activities at DS... some of my favorite Disney days --replace breakfast depending on resort. OKW is very relaxing....and the slide at the pool is actually one of the better ones....If you want to do it likely Disney has it BTW think of things you might want to do...Boat rentals, fishing, biking, hiking, parasailing, jet skis, horse back riding, race car driving private yacht and the list goes on... I would suggest other places but the time you are going will be very crowded everywhere... in the future you can try Universal studios.

After our first 5 trips, we started trying things other than the parks, such as HDDR, a pirates and pals fireworks cruise, mini golf and Disney Quest. We adults enjoyed it all. I think it depends on the age of the people going. My kids LOVED it all. They were 6 and 4 and then 7 and 5. I saw many kids fall asleep on the fireworks cruise though.

Hoop dee doo or mini golf
Resort hopping.. Hanging at the Grand Floridian and listen to the pianist and Orchestra
Drive into Orlando and do the outlets or mini golf there or check out a new restaurant (our fave in the mall is Buca di beppo)

The cabins at FW are a favorite of our family, as is visiting any (or all) of the monorail resorts for dinner or breakfast. O'hana is awesome!

Have a nice Breakfast at Olivia's go to the pool hang for a while take the boat to DS walk around eat go back to the pool watch the movie under the stars they show that night you can also watch the bands, bowel, go to Disney quest and a huge amount of other activities at DS... some of my favorite Disney days --replace breakfast depending on resort. OKW is very relaxing....and the slide at the pool is actually one of the better ones....If you want to do it likely Disney has it BTW think of things you might want to do...Boat rentals, fishing, biking, hiking, parasailing, jet skis, horse back riding, race car driving private yacht and the list goes on... I would suggest other places but the time you are going will be very crowded everywhere... in the future you can try Universal studios.
I'm sure you meant bowl and if I'm not mistaken, the Richard Petty driving experience is gone isn't it?
Take one of the tours or do an Illuminations Cruise.
Definitely a tour! If everyone in your party is 16 or over, do Keys to the Kingdom. It's outstanding!
Hoop dee doo or mini golf
Resort hopping.. Hanging at the Grand Floridian and listen to the pianist and Orchestra
Drive into Orlando and do the outlets or mini golf there or check out a new restaurant (our fave in the mall is Buca di beppo)
Love Buca! We used to have one nearby but it closed :( .

Let me add, if you're in DS take in a Cirque de Soleil show. They are excellent. AMC dine-in theater is a different experience. Have a drink in the bar at Raglan Road and just take in the entertainment. Get a drink at the bar in Morimoto and sit outside to people watch. In fact, people watching is a great pastime at Springs.

We rented gold carts at Ft Wilderness once and explored the Tri Circle D Ranch. It was a lot of fun. I've been going since I was a kid and had no idea any of that stuff was there.

Disney Backstage tours: many different ones to choose
Love Dining with Imagineer for Lunch: Prefer the Hollywood and Vine location for this one. Have done this twice.

Try resort dining instead of park dining for table service. Check out the resort at the same time. Take in a spa treatment.

Take more pictures on your trip. So, it takes more time, but then you have wonderful memories.

Go to Sea World, Universal or IOA. You can do Legoland or Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Go to Kennedy Space Center. There's a decent science museum in Orlando. Bok Tok Gardens is nice. Go to the beach.

I third the Fort Wilderness suggestion. We like to eat at Trails End and go to the movie and marshmallow roast. You could go to Hoop de Doo.

We also enjoy mini-golf, both on and off site.

Wow guys! So many wonderful ideas.

We've done HDDR and loved it. What do you guys think about the Spirit of Aloha? It may be too late for good seats but we've considered it.

Very interested in the Campfire Singalong with Chip and Dale.

Probably not going to able tours yet with a 7 year old. We've done the fireworks cruise with the Peter Pan gang.

Keep 'em coming

Our plan for this summer:
- Keys to the Kingdom tour. (You could do the Family Magic Tour or a fireworks 'cruise')
- Eat at least one new snack every day. (We have a list going of things we want to try. Not having the QS dessert will help with this. We're usually too full.)
- Stay at a new resort.
- Ride the ferry to the MK. We've never done it, and I want to.
- More pool time and relaxing (At least, that's what I told DH we would do...)

My kids loved the Albatross Cruise at Bc/yc. There are other similar experiences offered at other resorts. But, if you do that one, the adults could explore the Boardwalk area, play mini golf, or grab treats in France while your 7 yo is on the adventure.

take the boat to DS walk around eat go back to the pool watch the movie under the stars they show that night you can also watch the bands, bowel, go to Disney quest and a huge amount of other activities at DS...

With all due respect, bowel movement would probably not be something new to try... most have already done this... Another idea at DS is the amphicar ride, which is expensive but fun, but only three passengers per car.

What do you guys think about the Spirit of Aloha?

A luau in Hawaii would have much more variety of food, and IMHO would also have a better show. If you don't think you're likely to get to Hawaii at all, this one could be better than nothing.

Not sure what all you have done on past trips, but in March you can attend a spring training game at Disney World (if it's not already sold out), and go to the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival and try food from their Outdoor Kitchen kiosks.

It looks like your younger child may not be old enough yet for the Dining with an Imagineer lunch, but something to keep in mind for a future trip.

In terms of offsite activities, I enjoyed an airboat ride as something really different to do.

CBR's pirate rooms are fun to stay in. I agree with another poster who said to see Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba show in Disney Springs. Have you done the tea at the Grand Floridian before? (They have hot cocoa for non-tea drinkers.) Off-site, I know there's a bicycle park nearish by, plus trails you can go on (I have seen pretty photos from a friend who lives there), though don't know where to send you to rent bikes. Depending on your beliefs, you may want to spend a day at the Holy Land Experience. Shop at the outlets, if you are into that. Planet Hollywood just reopened in Disney Springs after a huge remodel.

things I have really enjoyed

- rent boats and enjoy the lakes.
- helicopter tour over the theme parks/area, surprisingly close to property, not all of disney property is a no fly zone, can be as cheap as $30 a person depending on what you want to fly over and how long that takes. There is even an option for a night tour that ends with watching illuminations from the air.
- day trip to universal.
- seeing something performing at dr phillips arts center (amazing list of acts that come through all the time)
- trying some central florida or regional places to eat (4rivers, ravenous pig, hollar & dash, columbia)

things I'm hoping to try this year:
- air boat ride
- somewhere to experience manatees
- spending more time in the tampa area (lots of great things there, can be faster to get too than parts of orlando).
- legoland

We try to do at least one new thing each year. It can be a tour in one of the parks, or trying a new restaurant, or leaving the World (rarely leave though). My DD & I even went horseback riding at Fort Wildreness once. That was a lot of fun & not expensive. While we were doing that my DH was doing the Segway tour at FW. There's so many fun & different things to do at Disney in & out of the parks.

I see someone already mentioned my suggestion, but I'll second it--Braves spring training game. We've done two and had a blast. Can sit in the super nice stands or cheaper tix to sit in the grass :)

Also with a 7YO, maybe Legoland? We waited a little too long and the kids were a little too big. But I still enjoyed seeing parts of the old Cypress Gardens again, especially the banyan tree. You can almost always get a free-kid-with-adult ticket in the Lego magazine.

On that same trip, I gave my son the choice of Gatorland or Legoland (in the same general area). Still wish we'd tried Gatorland--the zipline looks fun.

And we love the KSC visitor center. The real Atlantis orbiter is there now and the display is amazing. Be warned , though, it will cost you the same amount as Legoland--about $50 each plus $10 parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter