• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about Magical Express

jfeasel

Mouseketeer
I have some questions on how Magical Express works. I've been to Disney many times, but never used this option. I'm meeting two other college roommates at Coronado Springs. We're all traveling from different parts of the country and our flights all arrive at different times. We just booked through AAA and gave them all of our flight info. So, here are my questions:

1. It's my understanding that once I check my luggage at my home airport, I won't have to touch it again; my bag will be delivered to my room. Is this correct?

2. Will Disney send us special tags for our bags so that they will know which bags to take where once we land in Orlando? I've cruised Disney before and we did have special tags so they knew which bags were going to the ship.

3. Once we exit our flight, what happens?

4. On average, how long does it take to receive your luggage in your room?

5. We picked Magical Express because it didn't cost us anything, we were all arriving at different times and we didn't want to rent a car. How has everyone's experience been with this service? I did Mears before but that time we still had to claim our luggage.

6. We're all flying in on Southwest. I'm assuming Disney does get the luggage from Southwest flights, is that correct? I wasn't told otherwise by the agent.

1. It's my understanding that once I check my luggage at my home airport, I won't have to touch it again; my bag will be delivered to my room. Is this correct?

You are correct.

2. Will Disney send us special tags for our bags so that they will know which bags to take where once we land in Orlando? I've cruised Disney before and we did have spcial tags so they knew which bags were going to the ship.

Yes, approximately a month in advance they will send you a "ticket" for magical express that you will show the driver and special tags that you put on your bags. They say your name, resort, etc.

Once you exit your flight just go to the Magical Express counter, directions will be given in the packet you are sent. You will check in with them and they will get you on your bus. Don't worry about your bags.

3-4 hours is our experience.

5. We picked Magical Express because it didn't cost us anything, we were all arriving at different times and we didn't want to rent a car. How has everyone's experience been with this service? I did Mears before but that time we still had to claim our luggage.[/QUOTE]

Our experience has been wonderful. The only downside was this past week when we arrived at midnight we asked the resort to just have them hold our bags until the next morning. At 2am our phone rang saying the bags are there and would we like for them to bring them...not real happy about that but got over it quickly.

1. yes, you are correct
2. yes, disney will mail you bright yellow tags that you attach to all your checked baggage. When you "check-in" at magical express, you tell them how many bags you have checked.
3. once you exit your flight, you go downstairs to the desk for Magical Express. Just keep asking people that work at the airport.
You checkin, and are told which bus line to get in.
4. probably 4-6 hours
5. we LOVE magical express!! we've used it twice and will use it again in Dec. I do hear thought that the busy months it takes a while to get on a bus. No sure about that though. We've never had to wait.

Good luck!

I have some questions on how Magical Express works. I've been to Disney many times, but never used this option. I'm meeting two other college roommates at Coronado Springs. We're all traveling from different parts of the country and our flights all arrive at different times. We just booked through AAA and gave them all of our flight info. So, here are my questions:

2. Will Disney send us special tags for our bags so that they will know which bags to take where once we land in Orlando? I've cruised Disney before and we did have special tags so they knew which bags were going to the ship.

5. We picked Magical Express because it didn't cost us anything, we were all arriving at different times and we didn't want to rent a car. How has everyone's experience been with this service? I did Mears before but that time we still had to claim our luggage.

6. We're all flying in on Southwest. I'm assuming Disney does get the luggage from Southwest flights, is that correct? I wasn't told otherwise by the agent.
Let me first say my dh and I love ME! It saves so much time! I will try to answer your questions:
1.Correct---your lagguage will be put in your room a couple of hours after you
arrive. So we always put a change of clothes, shoes, swimsuit
or what ever else we think we might need before our lagguage
arrives.
2.If you booked your trip through disney they will send the special tags to you
or we book ours through AAA and they send them to us,
3.Once you leave your plane you will look for the Disney signs. Actually in
with your special lagguage tags it should have directions on what
to do when you arrive.
4. It usually takes 2-3 hours. We always check into our resort, go to DTD for
dinner and when we get back to the resort our stuff is in our
room. Unfortantly we still have to unpack ourselves. LOL
5.As I mentioned we love this plan. It gets you to the resort so much faster
and with less hassle with our lagguage. We used to do Mears
but believe me you will love this much better.
Let me know what you think when you get back home. Enjoy

As previously posted yes, once you check your bags in at the airport you will not see them until they arrive at your room. Average delivery is between 4-6 hours. After deplaneing you will go to the "B" side of the airport, go downstairs 2 levels to the ME check-in, you'll be directed to which line for your resort. Average time from deplaneing to resort check-in is 70-90 minutes. Have used ME 3 times so far and has always been great!

I don't believe that you can do the luggage check in on Southwest Airlines unless something has changed recently.

I agree with all the other comments, it is super easy to use, and a great perk of staying onsite! With that said do be prepared to have an “overnight” bag that you take with you/carry on; just in case your bags would get lost (this happened to me at Disney, the airline lost 2 of MY bags! and had to buy clothes there for the week—not fun and $$!) and also because depending when you get in, it does take a few hours to get your bags from ME. Also make sure to write down the # of bags you checked! You’d think this would be easy, but we travel with 3-4 adults, and 6 kids each year, and by the time we get to Orlando I forget how many we ran thru! You might not have that issue since it is just you!

We did ME during the first week when it was supposedly hell. We didn't get our luggage tags in time for our flight. So I tied pretty pink ribbons on the bags for easy identification. There were some pretty good horror stories going around from that week. But even without tags our luggage arrived in 3 hrs.

It was so nice not messing with rental cars and traffic, that we will do ME AGAIN and AGAIN. After several millions have used it, they have the bugs worked out. And remember many of the people who are using it are absolutely clueless and won't read the instructions or will immediately forget them upon landing at MCO. ME takes care of everything. Just be patient with the clueless ones around you.

also - When you get downstairs when your flight is over ( turn right at the bottom) - don't despair if you don't see the counter - it is all the way at the end

From the Airport to your resort DME will get your luggage, regardless of airline. So yes, they will get the luggage from your arriving flight into MCO.

From the reosrt to the Airport (return trip) you will not be able to use luggage check-in at your resort with Southwest (not a participating airline for resort check-in), so you will have to take your luggage with you on the bus. This shouldn't be a problem, since you can leave it with luggage services at your resort until it's time for you to board the bus (done that previously without any problems).

Have fun!

I don't believe that you can do the luggage check in on Southwest Airlines unless something has changed recently.

You can ABSOLUTELY 'do' the luggage check in on Southwest on your way TO Orlando.

Inbound, EVERY airline "participates" in Disney's Magical Express luggage handling bonus. Put the yellow tags on the handles of your suitcases, check them in at the airport, and don't give them another thought.

"Participating" airline only comes into play for the trip home, and only for luggage handling. There's an entire thread devoted to this at the top of this forum.

That is only for your return home!! Going TO Disney your luggage will be taken care of.

For your return home, you must take the luggage on the bus and checkin at the airport.

Just got back...we flew on Southwest. ME was awesome! It worked just as it should. Easiest travel with luggage I have ever had.

As stated, you will not be able to check luggage in at THE RESORT on your homebound flight. You will have to check your luggage at the airport. When ME takes you back to the airport, you will dropped off on floor 1. Check-in will be on floor 3. For us, they dropped off the B side passengers first, and then the A side (Southwest side) second. There are bell hops to help with luggage on the B side, but not on the A side. There will be a baggage cart available to rent, if you need help. ME will schedule your pick up at your resort for 3 hours prior to departure. We were picked up at 4:00 am for our 7:00 am flight. Beware the Southwest check in line!:scared1: If you have to check your luggage. The line for Southwest at the airport was unbelievable! It took us 50 minutes to get checked in. Fortunately, security was rather quick. If possible, get checked in early. What I do...I call my Mom and have her check in for us. She does not print the boarding passes, because that would be pointless. Then when you check in at the airport, you select, reprint boarding passes at the kiosk. The benefit is that you can get in the "A" group:thumbsup2 . We had plenty of time, we made it through. I just wanted to give you a word of warning incase you freak out when/if you see the Southwest line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter