? about locking your luggages

MMCD

Mouseketeer
I haven't flown internationally since 9/11. Are we suppose to lock our luggages (whether it is international or within US flights)? I'm on AA coming from out of the country. I know when I was out of locks, I would use twist wire from bread to close the zippers together. Is this still allowed?

I'm just wondering because when we use Magical Express, our luggages may not arrive timely. We will go eat somewhere upon arrival. I'd feel comfortably that my bags are locked and my underwears haven't spilled out.

Thanks,

MMCD

We have been advised since 9/11 NOT to lock luggage, because security will break the locks and open them if there is anything suspicious on X-ray. Sometimes the most innane things can look suspicious on X-ray, so my advice is to not lock them and don't carry anything too valuable in them.

It is true that you should not lock your luggage because they will break the lock if they feel like it. You can buy a lock at AAA that is a universal lock that the inspectors can open with a master key. Don't know the cost, but it is an option. It is a weird feeling knowing your luggage isn't locked but then that's one of the prices we now pay for increased security.

When we flew Southwest in May, I used the "twist ties" to keep the zipper pulls together. It works fine and have used them on other flights as well. Keeps the undies safe and sound inside the luggage!!

Keep valuables close to you.

Enjoy!!

There are TSA approved locks now that you can use on your luggage. I have used mine three times and each time - no problem at all. When I checked my bags on the first use, and the the guy at the machine asked "Is your luggage locked" I said "yes, but I have TSA locks" and he said "Even better! You're done have a nice flight!"

TSA locks can be purchased many places - I bought mine at LL Bean - 2 for about 16 (I have a discount though so they only cost $10). QVC carries them also. They come in several colors. You can set a 3-digit code on them.

Just this weekend, I saw some at Target, but they were smaller and had a key, not a code.

I look at them as a deterrent/barrier to theft plus a way to make sure the luggage doesn't pop open where the zipper joins!

DO NOT lock your luggage unless it's a TSA lock. I watched a TSA screener at MCO use a crow bar to open a locked suit case, totally distroying it. When they were done they took some tape and taped it closed, so someone will be buying a new suitcase when they get home.

I don't lock my luggage anymore. I see no point in having TSA locks, because once I give my luggage to the ariline, theonly people who will come in contact with it at TSA people, so if you have alockl that they have the master key to, they'll be able to open it anyhow if they really want to steal something.

I just don't put anything into my checked luggage that I wouldn't want to be stolen. If someone is really that desperate for my Disney t-shirts or my dirty underwear(at least on the way home!!), they can have them.

If it's valuable, I carry it on.

I buy the plastic, one-use ties. They are similar to the plastic ties used to bind shoes together at the department stores. I get them at Lowe's They are easy for the Airport to cut off if they need to, but would show evidence of someone getting into my luggage. If I found them broken and no "note" inside, then I would know someone other than security had been in them.

Granted they will not stop anyone, but I hope that anyone with less than honorable intentions will choose the unlocked luggage.

Oh and one other thing. If it is not busy at the airport, sometimes they will let me have my luggage x-rayed first and then I am allowed to put my locks on.

TnRobin said:
I buy the plastic, one-use ties. They are similar to the plastic ties used to bind shoes together at the department stores. I get them at Lowe's They are easy for the Airport to cut off if they need to, but would show evidence of someone getting into my luggage. If I found them broken and no "note" inside, then I would know someone other than security had been in them.

Granted they will not stop anyone, but I hope that anyone with less than honorable intentions will choose the unlocked luggage.

That's what we use as well:)

Dollar stores usually carry them - 50 for a dollar...I keep them in the outside pocket of the checked suitcase, along with a "baby" nail clipper, to open it at our destination.

HTH!!

:sunny:

If you use the TSA locks and your luggage gets searched by security, will they just puck the locks back on or will they still use the plastic wire ties? The handle for my bag ended up locked inside last time. It'd be nice to just have the locks put back on. Then again, next time, I think I'll put the handle in my carry on now that I know how things happen.

I've only used the TSA locks on one trip so far and they were locked on the bag the way I gave them to the airline/TSA. If they did open the bags there was no indication of it.

Disney Doll said:
I don't lock my luggage anymore. I see no point in having TSA locks, because once I give my luggage to the ariline, theonly people who will come in contact with it at TSA people, so if you have alockl that they have the master key to, they'll be able to open it anyhow if they really want to steal something.

I just don't put anything into my checked luggage that I wouldn't want to be stolen. If someone is really that desperate for my Disney t-shirts or my dirty underwear(at least on the way home!!), they can have them.

If it's valuable, I carry it on.

I would like to think that the only people that come into contact with our luggage are TSA security people. But this is not a perfect world and luggage gets lost and sits on loading docks unsupervised. I would definately invest in TSA approved locks.

I used the disposable luggage one time use locks the last time we traveled and it worked out very well. I like knowing that my luggage hasn't been messed with and if TSA searches it they leave a note and a zip tie on it so you know it was them and it's secured back up. I would recommend using the one time use locks, I wouldn't want my zipper opening and leaving my stuff all over the tarmack/inside the belly of the airplane. I've had this happen once when I was in the army and it's not fun chasing your clothes on a windy runway (not that they would even let you do it now), and losing your stuff.

I fly every two weeks and now rely on the twist ties from bread bags, etc.

And if TSA DOES open your bag, they may put on a plastic closure. I had a very frustrating evening at POR once trying to open my suitcase after 12 hours of travelling. Finally I called Engineering, and it took them awhile to snip off the closure!

Just a comment about things looking suspicious: TSA doesn't recommend stacking books and/or chocolate bars in your suitcase. Those are both critical items to my survival, so I try and spread them around a little. Apparently they can appear similar to bars of plastic explosives when your bag is scanned!

we are fans of the zip strips. we buy them in bulk. just make sure you have baby nail clippers or something similar in an outside accessible pocket to get them off at your destination!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter