ABD Galapagos Trip Reports?

susans

Earning My Ears
Getting ready to fly out Monday to do this Adventure. Has anyone seen a full trip report on this trip that they could share?

Thanks

Dahly, how did you like your trip?

Susans, I did write a very long trip report with pictures that will be put on another website. Unfortunately, it probably won't be posted before you leave. Have a great time!

Hi Beachbunny!

We had a great time...my son wants to go back! We had Chris and Eduardo, and there were 20 of us, so it was a nice sized group. 7 kids between 7-13 (my DS is 11) so he had a good time with them, especially on the ship, where they could hang out in the library/game room without having the grownups over their shoulders. I enjoyed everything, and I don't know that I could say I had a favorite. DS's favorite was the tortoises.
The guides were great and went out of their way to get something for my son after he mentioned it once.

thanks for the tips you gave before I left!

Thanks for offering to answer my questions--I'm in the process of packing.

Ok questions:

Do I really need to pack a dress or skirt or nice pantsuit?

How cold did it get--do I need to pack a lot of sweaters for Quito?

Did either of you leave a bag (suitcase) at the Marriott in Quito?

Beachbunny, why did you suggest bringing a washcloth and soap for the trip?

what is the dress code for dinner on the ship? I just packed two dresses but really would prefer to be more casual if I can get by with it..

What was you "can't miss" moment on this trip?

Was seasickness a problem on the ship?

I know that a lot of questions and I did read the Disney booklet, but I really appreciate your input.

Thanks for offering to answer my questions--I'm in the process of packing.

Ok questions:

Do I really need to pack a dress or skirt or nice pantsuit?

How cold did it get--do I need to pack a lot of sweaters for Quito?

Did either of you leave a bag (suitcase) at the Marriott in Quito?

Beachbunny, why did you suggest bringing a washcloth and soap for the trip?

what is the dress code for dinner on the ship? I just packed two dresses but really would prefer to be more casual if I can get by with it..

What was you "can't miss" moment on this trip?

Was seasickness a problem on the ship?

I know that a lot of questions and I did read the Disney booklet, but I really appreciate your input.

I took 1 pair of slacks and two dressier capris, wore the capris on the boat for dinner, and the slacks at the farewell dinner in Quito. I did see a few people in dresses, but certainly not necessary unless you want to be a little dressier.

I took a "hoodie" and wore that over my tshirt during the day in Quito, it was a little windy a couple of days, not so much cold.

On the 4th evening, (the last night at the hacienda) you will be given the option of sending a bag back to the Marriott, so you don't have to lug everything to the ship. We took a fold up duffle bag with us, so I packed that with used laundy. Also, and hopefully this doesn't spoil a surprise...Disney gives you each a small duffle bag on day one, so we packed those with the things we had bought up to that point, and sent those back to the hotel as well. We only took our original large suitcase (and our backbacks) onto the ship with us.

I know there weren't washclothes at the hacienda, and I don't remember if they were on the boat either. On the boat there is biodegradable soap, so you may prefer your own. Beachbunny may have a different reason.

My can't miss is kind of sappy....this trip was really for my son, so seeing him with the tortoises, which was his highlight, was my highlight.

I did get a bit queasy on the first night on the ship. I took bonine with me, and that helped.

Hopefully these help. We had a great time, and we hope you do too. Tell Chris and Eduardo that Leslie and Raymond said hi!

Hi Beachbunny!

We had a great time...my son wants to go back! We had Chris and Eduardo, and there were 20 of us, so it was a nice sized group. 7 kids between 7-13 (my DS is 11) so he had a good time with them, especially on the ship, where they could hang out in the library/game room without having the grownups over their shoulders. I enjoyed everything, and I don't know that I could say I had a favorite. DS's favorite was the tortoises.
The guides were great and went out of their way to get something for my son after he mentioned it once.

thanks for the tips you gave before I left!

Is there some reason why this trip is limited to 20, or did you just have a small group? I was wondering if they raised the price so much for 2010 on this particular trip because they were able to easily fill it. But if they are going with only 20, then that wouldn't make any sense.

Hi Dahly! I'm glad you had a good time! We certainly did.

Washcloth and bar of soap: Neither the hacienda nor the boat had washcloths. The boat only had biodegradable soap that did not give you a clean feeling. If these are things you require, bring your own.

Dressy clothes: I guess it depends on the group, but no-one on my trip dressed up. Even on the ship at dinner, many wore shorts. I had a skort for the nicer dinners. DH only wore shorts in the Galapagos and used his zip off pants in Quito and Otavalo.

Cooler weather clothes: It all depends on the weather, but we had a particularly cool morning in Otavalo. I really hate the cold. I was cold in my t-shirt and light jacket.

Bag in Quito: Yes, we left a bag with our sweaters and Otavalo Market purchases back in Quito. It was waiting for us in our hotel room upon our return to Quito. We used the duffel provided by ABD (you'll get it on your first day).

Seasickness: If you get seasick, bring something for it. I saw a lot of our group wearing patches behind their ears. I had a patch but didn't use it. The last night on ship is especially bad because we're going against the current. The dining room cleared out very fast after dinner.

Can't miss: The second swim - it's a deep water swim from the dinghy. We encountered turtles, penguins, and sea lions. We have a ton of underwater pictures from this swim - bring a water proof camera!

Also, if you get a bonus trip to a rose farm in Otavalo, that was another can't miss! Ask your guides if they can set this up for your group.

Group size: I was told they will take up to 40 people. Our group had 25 people.

Have a great time! Say "Hi" to Chris and Eduardo from Julie!

I don't think your "cant miss" moment is sappy Dahly--sounds like your son had a blast.

Thanks for your input.

Bobo912--I think our group is in the low to mid 20's as well (according to my TA). I'm not sure if they are keeping these trips in the 20's on purpose or not.

Price: Before I purchased this tour, I checked out prices for our ship in the Galapagos. Just for the 4 nights on ship, the price was $2800 per person. With the early booking discount, I thought our trip was a steal! By the way, there were a few people on board who had booked with Abercrombie and Kent. If you think ABD is pricey, check out A&K!

So if all our groups for the trip are averaging 20-26 people, maybe that's why they needed to raise the prices for 2010. It also sounds like with 2 guides that you would get a pretty personalized experience.

I LOVE roses. I hope we get to do this too. Thanks for the heads up beachbunny. We had Chris for a guide on another ABD tour. He is very good.

Price: Before I purchased this tour, I checked out prices for our ship in the Galapagos. Just for the 4 nights on ship, the price was $2800 per person. With the early booking discount, I thought our trip was a steal! By the way, there were a few people on board who had booked with Abercrombie and Kent. If you think ABD is pricey, check out A&K!

I looked at Abercrombie & Kent. Looks awesome, but definitely not doing that one. Tauck Bridges and Thomson are less than ABD though for similar trips. I wouldn't have hesitated if the ABD prices had been closer to last year's price, but it's around $1400 more per person.

So if all our groups for the trip are averaging 20-26 people, maybe that's why they needed to raise the prices for 2010. It also sounds like with 2 guides that you would get a pretty personalized experience.

That could be, but if I were making the decisions I would try to lure in more travelers. They have to pay the two guides and whatever other overhead they have regardless of whether they have 25 or 40, so it seems like they would want the trip as full as possible. They don't let me make the decisions though. :)

I really wasn't defending Disney and their price increases for 2010. I was just speculating that might be why they raised their prices.

I will say that my trip to Peru last year was incredible thanks to our guides. I didn't know Chris was going to be on this trip until long after I had booked it.

That said, I too will be looking at other tours for 2010. I haven't decided not to do another ABD but it's not a "no brainer".

I think the 20 on our tour was just a lucky break. We enjoyed being with a smaller group.

I think Chris mentioned the tour after ours was going to be 35 people. He had also told us that they were doubling the number of trips next year, based on the feedback and the number of guests they had this year.

We also got to do the Rose tour...it was an unexpected surprise, and very enjoyable. The amount of roses they grow is amazing. It was just a short walk from the hacienda.

I had also looked at the prices for the Galapagos Explorer II before we booked...I thought we were getting a deal for the whole trip based on the cruise price alone. I haven't looked up 2010 prices for the ship, so I don't know if is part of the increase in next year's rate. I am glad we went this year. If we had waited until 2010, we probably wouldn't have gone based on the new prices. I wasn't even going to look, but after the discussions on this board, I had to take a peek. I about fell out of my chair. I really, really enjoyed our trip, and even knowing we probably got somewhat of a deal with the EBD, they would have to add quite a bit for me to pay next year's price.

Question Dahly or beachbunny--were the hikes very difficult? When we were in Peru, one of them (to the sungate and back in an hour) was a killer....

I'm just speculating too. Trying to make some sense out of the increase. If ABD's costs for the trip have gone up significantly they would have to pass a lot of that on to the customer. That I can understand. I would just like to know if that is the case.

Price: For the price I paid this year (EBD plus Costco rebate of $200 per person), this adventure was worth every penny! However, I'd really have to think twice before paying next year's prices...

Hikes: Most of the hikes are classified by the ship as moderate. I'd say relatively easy - flat or rocky volcanic surfaces, and no real hills.

There is one hike - on the second day - involving 300+ stairs - that is difficult. The view from the top of the mountain looking out to sea and Pinnacle Rock (where they filmed Master and Commander) is fantastic, but may not be worth it if it will tire you out too much for the remaining days. Pace yourself in Galapagos - there is just so much to see and do!

Can't miss: The second swim - it's a deep water swim from the dinghy. We encountered turtles, penguins, and sea lions. We have a ton of underwater pictures from this swim - bring a water proof camera!

I'm not particulary comfortable in the water, although my son thinks he's Michael Phelps. His over-confidence worries me a bit. Not exactly sure how to word this question, other than just asking did you feel totally safe? Did you think the kids swimming with you were totally safe? Were floatation devices available? Is the water calm?

Thanks for the info beachbunny--not too worried about the steps, think I'll be able to handle them (famous last words)...

Swimming: I didn't need a floatation device. It took all my effort to stay under water. I was wearing a wet suit and boy are those suckers bouyant!

One word of warning - the last open water swim also off the dinghy - I didn't do that one because the seas were VERY rough and we were told there were "only" fish and sharks. I'm glad we didn't go because people said it was very rough and they encountered jelly fish. One girl in our group got stung.

So to answer your question, yes, I felt safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter