ABD Cancellation policy

bonnielynn

DIS Veteran
Could someone explain and I wonder if you get sick or something, doesn't the insurance help guard you against loosing all your $$?

We just got back from Southwest Splendors on Saturday. I had purchased the travel insurance offered by ABD on all 6 of us. My dd19 wasn't feeling well the week before, and I was afraid she wasn't going to make the trip. So I started calling ABD to find out what to do. (She ended up making a full recovery and coming with us.) Anyway, I was told by ABD that we would get all our money back on her, including airfare, because I booked it through them. I would also get the initial $300 deposit back. The only thing I would be out would be the $137 insurance. And if we felt that we needed to stay home to take care of her, we would get all of our money back as well. Now, that being said, you do have to submit a doctor's note, itemized receipts, and health insurance claim forms. So you can't just decide you feel a little under the weather. But if you are truly ill or there has been a death in your immediate family, etc., then you are protected.

bonnielynn, with trip insurance, however, you have to keep in mind something called a "pre-existing condition waiver". Usually you can only get this waiver if you purchase the insurance within 14 days of your initial deposit for the trip.

Most insurance then have a pre-existing condition period (say, 120 days). If you *don't* have a pre-existing condition waiver, and you get sick with something just before your trip that you've been treated for within the last 120 days, you are not covered. (Say you developed bronchitis, 2 months before the trip, then it flared up again the week before the trip. You would not be covered without the waiver.

Also, as jenbadeux says, you need a doctor to state you're too sick to go. You can't just call up the insurance & say "I have a cold, I can't travel". Doctor has to certify that you're too sick to travel, and it has to be within a certain period of time before the trip.

That said, trip insurance is still a GREAT thing to have for those unexpected events. I injured my shoulder (torn rotator cuff!) a week before my hiking trip to Yosemite, and the trip insurance gave me a full refund for the tour price. I was also planning on visiting family while in Northern California after the tour, so they also paid the fee and price difference to change my airline ticket to depart a week later, so that I could keep the second week of my plans. The refund for the Yosemite trip paid for last year's ABD! As jen says, all I was out was the price of the insurance.

Jen, glad your daughter felt better in time to enjoy the trip!

Sayhello

FYI--just saw the following story on the difference between trip "insurance" and travel "protection" policies. The Disney policy is trip "insurance", which is good. Apparently there are government standards concerning coverage, and you may have some recourse. The news story I saw noted that trip "protection" is not regulated, and when a dispute arises, you could be out of luck.

Just thought I'd attach the story, because I had never heard of such a distinction before.

http://www.nbc4.com/consumer/17173802/detail.html

Turtlemom :confused3

I posted this on another thread but it bears repeating -- while traveling, always carry the phone number of your insurance provider with you at all times. Some (most? all?) providers will refuse coverage if they are not notified before you seek medical attention.

It's all in the fine print of the brochures, but many people don't even look at that unless they need to -- and when you *do* need to, who's thinking of pulling out a brochure or even remembering which pocket of the suitcase it's stored in?

Dotti

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter