Abby and Mom's great adventure, day one

abby

Abby's Mom
After a week, I finally sit down to write our trip report. First the cast, me, a single mom of an almost 5 year old, Abby. We live in Oregon and the last two years we have gone to San Diego on vacation, first with a friend, and then last year by ourselves, where I discovered the joy of traveling alone with my kid.
I booked the trip to disneyland in late December. (having been planning it for months) So we had three and 1/2 months of waiting.
Arrived on Tuesday afternoon (April 19) at SNA airport. good flight (why do I always over pack for the flight, I take a backpack of stuff and she uses very little of it.) Caught the shuttle to the DLH without a problem Checked in at 1:30 and our room was ready. Had a 3rd floor room in the Marina Tower. AT first look, I though, just like any other hotel room with two queen beds, faded carpet, and ok size, but not too big. I liked that the door opened outside, even if it was a two foot wide balcony.
A quick check of the room and we were off the to parks. Ignoring my daughters plea to take the monorail, we walked through downtown disney, to the parks. I wanted her first memory of disneyland to be walking down mainstreet, not coming off the monorail.
She was so excited I am not sure anything really registered for her. Off through the castle and to the teacups. She begged for Dumbo but the line looked to long for me. Then on to it's a small world (the first of many trips through this). Then it was autopia. She loved driving the car. Although she was scared till I explained she really couldn't drive off the road.
Then she decides she wants to go on the Matterhorn. Now I love rollercoasters, but knew on this trip with just her and I, I was not likley to go on many. So we get in line, and only have to wait about 15 mintues. There are some folks in front of use, including a woman and two boys (maybe 8 and 10). They end up riding with us. As we get half way through the ride, my DD whispers, "I'm not having fun, this is scary" (I figured my rollercoaster days were over.) when we finished the boys behind us were raving about how much fun it was and asked her how she liked it, her response, "it was great, let's go again" (thanks boys) So not to waste an opportunity we hopped back in line and went again.
Saw Belle by the castle, and we got an autograph. Note, by DD is very shy, we got an autograph book first thing so she had a reason to approach characters, otherwise she wouldn't. She allowed Belle to sign her book, but would not pose for a picture with her.
Although the park was open till 7 we left by 6, both being tired after a day of traveling (and her bouncing off the walls the two days before we left.) Back to DLH and dinner. Ended up at Hook's point for dinner. great food, but I was surprised by the prices (although by the end of the trip I would not have been surprised.)
Wondered around the grounds of the DLH, did the remote control boats kid got a kick out of that. and then off to bed. I think she was asleep before her head hit the pillow, at least before I could have her look at the pixie dust.
Day one of our great adventure a success.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter