Abbott's New COVID-19 Test: 97%-98% Accuracy, 15-Minute Turnaround, $5 Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some limitations on how the test can be used:
https://www.fda.gov/media/141567/download
----------------------------------
The product is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2 in direct nasal swabs from individuals suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset. The SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid protein antigen is generally detectable in nasal swabs during the acute phase of infection.

Positive results indicate the presence of viral antigens, but clinical correlation with patient history and other diagnostic information is necessary to determine infection status. Positive results do not rule out bacterial infection or co-infection with other viruses. Negative results do not rule out SARS-CoV-2 infection and should not be used as the sole basis for treatment or patient management decisions, including infection control decisions. Negative results should be considered in the context of a patient’s recent exposures, history and presence of clinical signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19.

Similar to how MSC is doing its testing, the new test will have to be used in conjunction with a guest's meta-data / conditions / contact history. It seems to be more accurate than the other tests for this purpose (and have a faster turnaround time).

Testing of nasal swab specimens using the product, as outlined in the “BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag CARD,” Instructions for Use, is limited to laboratories certified under CLIA that meet the requirements to perform high, moderate, or waived complexity tests. This test is authorized for use at the POC, i.e., in patient care settings operating under a CLIA Certificate of Waiver, Certificate of Compliance, or Certificate of Accreditation.

So, an airport or a cruise terminal will have to set up a CLIA-certified lab on premises and/or have qualified medical staff present to administer it. At the moment, they won't be able to do it on a ship - though once you are outside of the US waters....

You’re right, my mistake. I was thinking of the Yale test recently granted emergency authorization by the FDA which uses saliva, which would probably be preferred by cruisers over the nasal swab:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/15...t-for-covid-19-opening-door-to-wider-testing/
The Yale test needs lab equipment for analysis. But once in the lab, it's pretty quick. I think any reasonably accurate rapid test is a big step in containing the virus generally in that it can nip a potential cluster in the bud. It will drive the R-values lower pretty quickly.

Have you actually had one? I know everyone has different discomfort thresholds but Ive seen it likened to a pap smear as far as discomfort level

I have not personally been tested, but as a physician, I have ordered another Abbott COVID-19 test on patients many times and I have watched it be performed. While it is not horrible, it Is unpleasant for many patients. Properly performed, the swan is only in the nose for a few seconds.

Have you actually had one? I know everyone has different discomfort thresholds but Ive seen it likened to a pap smear as far as discomfort level. Maybe a little freakier since you can see what's going on, unlike a pap. I wouldnt be signing up for daily pap smears for fun but its certainly something I'd consider if it needed to happen as one part of the plan for reopening some activities more safely.
I, as well as my husband and two kids have endured it. WAY MORE painful!!!

I, as well as my husband and two kids have endured it. WAY MORE painful!!!

I dislike having a pap WAY more... it was unpleasant but not painful. I've calmed friends who have had it down before they go in and they admit afterwards they were expecting it to be worse than it was. Though all agreed you feel weird up there until the next day. :tilt:

Regardless Id take a saliva test over that ANY day!

I just found out that I have a fear of deep nasal swabs. Hope they have other options if we have to get tested before or during cruising.

I've had the nose swab test three times. Twice it was uncomfortable but tolerable. Once it was REALLY bad on one side and hurt for days after. I think the nurse's technique definitely plays a role--kind of like how some flu shots hurt bad and others you barely notice.

I've had the nose swab test three times. Twice it was uncomfortable but tolerable. Once it was REALLY bad on one side and hurt for days after. I think the nurse's technique definitely plays a role--kind of like how some flu shots hurt bad and others you barely notice.
Id imagine your symptoms might also play a part in how sensitive you are to the test.

What a difference one space on the keyboard makes - I think a swan up the nose would be worse than a Pap smear.

Sorry for inserting humor in this serious conversation.

Happy DISboards anniversary! 12 yrs ago today you joined the best forum on the wikiweb.

Last edited:
A Swiss company, Roche, has also developed a blood test with a result 15 minutes. 96% accuracy when someone is positive, 99% accuracy when someone is negative.
End of September it should be ready and available for EU countries, they are working on the US.

Blood test, uh oh

I can see cruise lines constantly testing their staff and crew. And perhaps at embarkation. Continuously testing throughout the cruise or at different ports I don’t know. I think it also depends on the length of the cruise. It’s just a logistical nightmare even if you’re only sailing at half capacity.

Daily testing makes no sense for shorter cruises. I mean you test people who get on the boat so they’re “safe”. But on a three or four night Bahama or Baja cruise if by the slim chance someone catches Covid while in Port or had a negative test at embarkation but turns positive you would most likely be home anyways by time you would get a positive reading or show symptoms. Since from what understand you need at least a day or two or three in order to have that viral load show up on a test. So I can see for the shorter cruises they would just test at embarkation.

And I believe if you test at ports you’re not gonna show a person with a positive reading that just got infected within that day.

Doesn't have to be uh oh, if it's similar to the pretest when I go to give blood, which is just a prick in your finger, it's very easy.
Unless it's done on a spinning wheel and you are cursed and it's your 16th birthday, then I would say uh oh.

I can't find articles that tells what the test exactly will be.
Believe it’s a swan test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter