Abbott's New COVID-19 Test: 97%-98% Accuracy, 15-Minute Turnaround, $5 Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intr3pid

DIS Veteran
These tests should be given to every person onboard everyday of the cruise. The chances of getting a false negative 2 days in a row would be very small. That would also catch people who are too early in the infection at the start of the cruise to test positive but whose viral load increases during the sailing.

If the accuracy #s are right, that would be a nice step forward. I wonder how sensitive it is as well... can it reliably detect the virus when its in the early stage of infection or is that why it isn't 100% I wonder...

It might not be 100% because they have to account for manufacturer error, environmental contamination, improper storage and/or improperly administering the test. Most other tests have the same issues which is why they can't say 100% either.

The good part is the price and results speed. With that price DCL could write that cost into the price of your cruise and why not take a test every time you get off/on the ship or line up at MDR. It's not ideal but if it gets me on the boat, I'd be willing to get tested at least once a day while onboard. If they cruise at half capacity then there are extra rooms available to isolate anyone who tests positive or any suspected positive. So we would actually know more about our Covid status and have better protocols in place than those entering or remaining in land based businesses. With practices like this in place it may also help ease the concerns of some of the ports and help them be more receptive to opening up and getting their tourism economies going again.

These tests should be given to every person onboard everyday of the cruise. The chances of getting a false negative 2 days in a row would be very small. That would also catch people who are too early in the infection at the start of the cruise to test positive but whose viral load increases during the sailing.

Or we could give 2 tests at once every day, what are the odds on both tests being wrong? If they're $5 bucks a piece, what's an extra $10 bucks a day when you're paying for a $10k cruise?

I use the ThermoGenesis test. It detects IgM and IgG . So the test will tell you if you have COVID-19 as well as if you have recovered from it. All this in about 5 minutes start to finish.

I use the ThermoGenesis test. It detects IgM and IgG . So the test will tell you if you have COVID-19 as well as if you have recovered from it. All this in about 5 minutes start to finish.

I think in the future a lot of people are going to be shocked to discover that they've already had Covid and never knew it. For almost everyone it does not cause hospitalization or even require treatment.

The ThermoGenesis test needs a blood sample, which I reckon would be an impediment at high-traffic points of testing, such as airports and cruise terminals.

And I don't know many families eager to start their vacation with a needle poke in the arm.😓

The ThermoGenesis test needs a blood sample, which I reckon would be an impediment at high-traffic points of testing, such as airports and cruise terminals.

And I don't know many families eager to start their vacation with a needle poke in the arm.😓
Not that kind of needle poke. It is like checking your glucose test if you are diabetic.

To be clear, it's an "an emergency use authorization". Not a full out approval.
That's true, but the emergency here refers to the 'state of emergency' which COVID-19 currently falls under. In other words, has the same effect.

I presume that when it's no longer applicable to COVID-19, we will likely have a therapeutic treatment or a vaccine approved already.

This is great news and hopefully something that can allow our schools, universities and maybe not exactly critical but nice to have open businesses to resume. I agree testing would need to be daily for cruises and a decent plan in place for positives that allow for the cruise to continue more often than not.

I think in the future a lot of people are going to be shocked to discover that they've already had Covid and never knew it.

Um, how? Antibodies seem to be disappearing at a pretty consistent rate of about 3 months time. Unless you expect people to find out via lung scarring, heart, kidney or neurological issues that affects them later and can be traced back to an asymptomatic COVID bout. That's not exactly good though.

Last edited:
Reminder to please stay on topic - we're not here to argue how many hospitalizations it would take to be concerned or how to do tracing.

One issue is you have recovered from covid. Antigens can reside in your nasal passages for weeks or months after you have recovered. That would be unfortunate to be denied boarding when you have already had it and recovered. Not that this whole situation isn't unfortunate. However, cheap, fast, semi-accurate testing could be great.

I believe the 97%-98% accuracy is within 7 days of symptom onset. The report I read didn't mention accuracy for those who are asymptomatic. So to me that doesn't sound like it has much value for cruises - if someone is already showing symptoms they shouldn't be boarding anyway.

It would be very hard to convince people to be tested daily. If the test is done properly, it is extremely uncomfortable.

It would be very hard to convince people to be tested daily. If the test is done properly, it is extremely uncomfortable.
Have you actually had one? I know everyone has different discomfort thresholds but Ive seen it likened to a pap smear as far as discomfort level. Maybe a little freakier since you can see what's going on, unlike a pap. I wouldnt be signing up for daily pap smears for fun but its certainly something I'd consider if it needed to happen as one part of the plan for reopening some activities more safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter