A WWYD? (regarding celebrating b-day early at WDW)

twinspluscade

DIS Veteran
I'm an uber-planner when it comes to vacations--I seriously have our next four summer vacations planned already (as far as where we want to go). We're planning on taking the kids to Disneyland in early June 2010. My twin daughters' birthday is June 7, so it's very probable we will be in Disneyland on their actual birthday, or at least close enough to celebrate it there without feeling "funny".

In addition to my daughters, I also have a son.....with a November birthday. I'm feeling kind of guilty that we won't ever be at WDW or DLR on his birthday--we are going to WDW this upcoming Sept 8-16, and then of course our DLR trip in 2010. Otherwise, that'll be it for Disney trips for many years--there are so many other places we want to vacation at, and we can only afford one vacation a year.

So, this afternoon I was toying with the idea of "celebrating" his November 14 birthday (he'll turn 4) in September at WDW. We have ADR's at the Garden Grille one night, and I was considering ordering him a b-day cake there. We'd also have "Mickey" (aka Mom and Dad) leave him a little gift in the room, and a little something for his sisters as well. He'd also wear the birthday button. I wouldn't expect any "freebies" or extras; it'd just be a fun thing for my son. He'd find it thrilling just to wear the button.

But....on the other hand, I would feel really wierd claiming it's his birthday two whole months before the real date. A week or two, sure, but MONTHS before?? Plus--my kids are very outspoken, and will be sure to tell anyone who comments on the birthday button that it's not REALLY Cade's birthday.:rolleyes: . Also, my twins will be just turned 5 when we go, and will have a hard time understanding that they have to wait nearly 3 years to have their b-day at DLR.

So...I'm going back and forth on it, and hoping to get some opinions here. What do you think--totally tacky to celebrate it two months early? Or a good idea so son can celebrate his b-day Disney style too?

Kelly

He's four and I would imagine that he would enjoy celebrating his birthday in Disney. Just explain to the kids that even though his special day is different you are celebrating during your trip. There really are no freebies, Maybe a cupcake that is decorated and the Birthday Boy would get some special attention, and a card in his room if you mention it at the front desk. Disney is magical so have a great time!

I wouldn't do it.

With your children's ages, I don't think that the twins would understand why your son gets to celebrate his "unbirthday" when they do not even though their birthday is almost as close to the trip. They likely won't understand that they will get to in a few years.

I would, also, be embarrassed every time someone wished him Happy Birthday and one of the children pointed out that it wasn't his birthday.

These threads can get heated so I will just point out that it may seem a bit dishonest to your five year olds and him, for that matter, to pretend it's his birthday.

The only time we have gotten a birthday button, it was my DD's actual 5th birthday and she wore it that day only. My DS22 somehow survived never celebrating his birthday at WDW. His birthday is a time of year when we could never go.

I don't know, but if you think that your son would feel some kind of way about not celebrating his birthday during a Disney trip go for it. As I am learning now as a mother of 3, it can be hard for the siblings to understand no matter how much we try to make things as even as possible. As I am an only child.

I say go for it! As one PP said Disney is magical and that means all things are possible. If you want to compromise have your DS wear the Birthday Button for half a day or something like that. There will be plenty of chances to make the rest of the trip special for each child in your own way, so take this opportunity for DS.

One thing worth mentioning is that when we went this past Dec we had dinner at CRT. The Fairy Godmother came out and did a little show. Each child got a special dessert, on top of the one that came with your meal. It was this great cupcake with Mickey sprinkles on it. It had a lit candle. The Fairy Godmother said that since she could not be with all the children for their real birthdays she wanted to celebrate with them now! I swear it brought tears to my eyes. Our DD3.5, was thrilled and all it consisted of was cake and a song or two!! So, enjoy the magic and thrill your DS. I think it will make you pretty happy to!!

Suz

I would only do something extra special if you are doing it for all 3 at the same time..that way no one is left out or has to wait their turn...2010 is a long time to wait for a turn and your son may have forgotten much about his turn by then.

Maybe all 3 can do a special excursion, like the pirate cruise or the Alice in Wonderland tea party....and order a cake for all of them and leave all a special surprise from Mickey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter