A Whole New World -- Disney with a 1 yo

canes876

Mouseketeer
DW and I are long time Disney World travelers who usually average 3 trips per year for the past 7-8 years. Due to DW being pregnant and having our first child we missed all of 2013, we did gain a DS so it was more than a fair trade pirate:

We are planning a 5 day trip in early September for DS's first birthday staying at the Boardwalk. We will also be bring both sets of Grandparent who haven't been to Disney in decades.

What tips does a Disney veteran need to know now that we have our little one with us? I know our typical Wishes reservation at California Grill and drinking around the World will need to change but what else... :confused3

Thank you!

Congratulations on your son!

My husband and I were also frequent WDW travelers before we had our son 16 months ago. We took our DS for his first birthday and stayed at the Boardwalk as well. We had an amazing trip. It was definitely different from our previous trips as we also enjoyed CG during wishes and drinking around the world:)

If your son has a stroller he will nap in, definitely take that along. We were able to enjoy strolling him around while he napped, and we were even able to sit and have a drink in Epcot while he slept. When it was too hot we would take him back to the hotel so he could get a good nap in a cool room. We also utilized the pool a lot more than we usually do

We also had my parents along who were nice enough to babysit so we could go to Yachtsman for a date night.

Character meals were very enjoyable with a one year old. We especially loved Ohana and Cape May. The best thing we did, however, was make an appointment for him to get his first haircut at the Harmony Barbershop at the Magic Kingdom.

Have a great trip, it is such a fun age!

Can I second the haircut idea??? We did that with our DS when he was 15 months old and we still talk about it 4 years later!! Do it!

Also I will add that you should utilize the baby care centers for changing diapers and a little rest. They were very clean and spacious for both of us to refresh the little guy.

Sorry to hijack, but I want to get my DD her first haircut wen we are there in February. How does this work and how do I get an appt?

Definitely do the haircut! Our youngest didn't have enough hair when we took him at 7 months, so we had to wait until we took him 2 weeks ago at 22 months. It was a great experience!

We took our DD at 14 months -- it was a wonderful trip! Just go with the flow, and assume that your pace will be slower than in the past. Our DD did great napping in her stroller, which allowed us to take turns on rides (and definitely make use of baby swap!).

We found waitstaff to be very accommodating -- and they tended to help move the meal along when LOs were involved.

I also packed an outfit/diapers/bibs, etc in a small baggie for each day...so all we had to do was pull a bag out each day to dress her, and re-pack the diaper bag.

Thank you once again for all these wonderful tips and ideas!

Can't wait till September :yay:

Haven't ever gone with a one year old... but just returned from a visit with a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old.

My one piece of advice: set your expectations to move at a SLOW pace. It will not be a get UP and GO and DO visit. You are at the baby's will, lol. Between diaper changes and feeding and napping... if you push it, you will pay for it. Granted at that age, he's not going to be going on the adult rides (and you have four grandparents to hand him off to, which is a HUGE plus). But just go with the flow. Enjoy him enjoying Disney. And get lots of video of his reactions (up close and personal, if possible) to all the sites. Those have been my favorite videos from this past visit. Watching the little ones' faces when seeing characters or watching fireworks.

P.S. Also, you can NEVER be too prepared (i.e. it's okay to over pack a bit). You will need more diapers and wipes than you think, *always* bring a change of clothes (or two) to the park with you... disposable bibs, WIPES, disposable changing pads, WIPES, snack, oh, and yes... wipes. ;)

Staying at the boardwalk for us was great with our 2.5 year old. Our daughter loved the boats. We rode them around on our arrival night since we weren't using park tickets that day.

Also, walking the boardwalk and the areas near beach and yacht clubs were fun for her. Consider letting your son put his feet in the sand beach at beach club. Could be tons of fun!

We also loved being able to walk to two parks.

Our main method was to get up and be at the bus stop early for magic kingdom rope drop. There was almost always a CM there with an iPad asking where everyone was going.

Then we'd come back by taking the monorail to Epcot and walking through the park. We'd stop and grab some food for lunch in that area and then had all early nights, though I stayed out for wishes at MK by myself one night and my husband met one of his friends and stayed out at Epcot another.

We really were happy with the choice since there was just so much to do in the area.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Haven't ever gone with a one year old... but just returned from a visit with a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old.

My one piece of advice: set your expectations to move at a SLOW pace. It will not be a get UP and GO and DO visit. You are at the baby's will, lol. Between diaper changes and feeding and napping... if you push it, you will pay for it. Granted at that age, he's not going to be going on the adult rides (and you have four grandparents to hand him off to, which is a HUGE plus). But just go with the flow. Enjoy him enjoying Disney. And get lots of video of his reactions (up close and personal, if possible) to all the sites. Those have been my favorite videos from this past visit. Watching the little ones' faces when seeing characters or watching fireworks.

P.S. Also, you can NEVER be too prepared (i.e. it's okay to over pack a bit). You will need more diapers and wipes than you think, *always* bring a change of clothes (or two) to the park with you... disposable bibs, WIPES, disposable changing pads, WIPES, snack, oh, and yes... wipes. ;)

We started taking our little ones at 3 months. We have had some great times but it is different. We once had to leave the Nemo show 5 min in thanks to an explosive and stinky diaper. Things happen just be prepared to switch gears at a moment's notice.

We were WDW veterans before we had kids and we didn't change that much. We never raced back to the room for a 7pm bedtime, we just put baby in the stroller or Ergo and they slept while we kept on going. We have been to 1/2 dozen Halloween and Xmas parties with the little one sleeping the whole time.

I agree though be prepared. The baby care centres have supplies but they are $$$.

Right there with you-- we are in the planning stages for our first trip with DS, who will be 11 months in June. Debating between Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge.

At 6 months now, I feel like we've just gotten into the swing of things with some of his routines, but I know so much more will change in the next 5 months... Hard to know what resort will be best for him, what rides & characters he'll like best, and just in general what the needs will be by then!

Fears- what if he has a meltdown on a ride that we can't get off right away? What if he has a diaper explosion on a ride and it leaves poo ON the ride?!

All that said, I'm still super excited to start a whole new kind of touring with him. Can't wait to see his reaction to arriving at MK for the first time! :banana:

We have some of the same fears and while I HATE the thought of inconveniencing others with our child's noise/smells/... I think as long as we do our be to be considerate to other guests all will work out!

Right there with you-- we are in the planning stages for our first trip with DS, who will be 11 months in June. Debating between Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge.

At 6 months now, I feel like we've just gotten into the swing of things with some of his routines, but I know so much more will change in the next 5 months... Hard to know what resort will be best for him, what rides & characters he'll like best, and just in general what the needs will be by then!

Fears- what if he has a meltdown on a ride that we can't get off right away? What if he has a diaper explosion on a ride and it leaves poo ON the ride?!

All that said, I'm still super excited to start a whole new kind of touring with him. Can't wait to see his reaction to arriving at MK for the first time! :banana:

I am pretty sure they have seen it all over 40 years. And that is why we vacation at WDW with young kids. Every 3rd kid is crying/screaming/freaking out so you are in good company ;)

I had to leave It's Tough to Be a Bug with my DS (he was 20monts) as he was screaming. We were on the end so I just slipped out and a CM let me out the back. No big deal.

We took our daughter last month at 14.5 months old and I'd second much of the advice you've been given, especially the expecting to take it much slower than you're used to.

I got a lot of tips by reading Trip Reports of others who travelled with a child around the same age. If you have time, they're a great way to preview what it might be like. (I'm writing one about our trip right now - link in siggy - but I haven't gotten very far yet. However, many followers on my report have taken their own kids very young also and have links to their reports in their signatures, if you need a place to start).

It's a great age and I'm sure you'll have plenty of magical moments!

agreed Disney with kids and without kids are 2 different vacations! First I think I did Disney with out kids about 20 times, my first trip with my daughter (single parent) when she was 5. I did more research on that trip then on my trip to Guatemala to pick her up!
my tips:
1. understand like with everything else once you have a kid, this too will be different, not bad just different. Fore example, loved park hopping before, now just too much traveling with a kid (IMHO)
2. bring more than you think you will need (food, diapers, extra close)
3. just because some kids nap in a stroller doesn't mean yours will!
and don't underestimate the importance of a good nap!

My brother only traveled to Disney when his kids were little, no worries about sockets, baby proofed rooms, somewhere to warm a bottle at 6a, stollers always welcome and chicken nuggest on all menus (well not sure about some of the signatures but you get what I mean)

Great info everyone! We're taking our DD in September as well when she'll be 15.5 months and I am very excited to see her interact, etc. We plan on booking a haircut for her (she's needed one for awhile and I've held out...) and I'm just so stoked! We are staying at POFQ and we'll be there for 9 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter