• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A weekend trip: pre-TR questions and advice

jiminy.cricket

Chasing the magic
Howdy, DISers!

I'm back, and this time, this is actually happening. I can barely believe it. As you might have noticed, my friend and I (who live far apart) have been playing with the idea of visiting Disney together for, well, years. Between life, school, work, for one reason or another, we've never followed through with it. However, it finally seems like the stars might be aligning and a trip to Disneyland is happening in a few weeks! I can hardly contain my excitement. I wasn't sure whether to classify this under the general Disneyland forums or as a pre-trip report, but I have a feeling I'll be updating this thread with a trip report later on. That said, I was wondering if I might once again solicit any feedback you can provide regarding this trip. Any advice is much appreciated.

Here's a rough run-down of the schedule. It will be a short trip over a long weekend. I'll be arriving around noon and leaving a little less than three days later. Here's where I need a bit of help.

1. Since I'll be in Southern California, I feel obligated to carve time during the day to visit the beach. I was lucky enough to visit a few southern California beaches last year briefly (as well as California Adventure), and they're quite lovely. However, I want to make this trip Disney-centric and will only have a few days in town. I'm leaning toward spending all of my time (even partial days) at Disneyland Park. Is it too much time at the park and will I regret not spending any time at the beaches?

2. I'm wondering how early I should try to find a spot for viewing Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever, which are musts for me! I was thinking of perhaps finding a different viewing area each night. I would love a fantastic view but ultimately would feel bad about blocking the view for any children.

3. Any must-eats or must-sees for this Walt Disney World veteran? Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever are at the top of the list. I sort of want to visit everything. The last time I visited Disneyland was 2001 and I'm so excited to be going back! I'm thinking Mr. Toad, Hyperspace Mountain, Skipper School, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (Is that still there?), and exploring all of the nooks and crannies that we don't have on the east coast. I'd love to see New Orleans Square, the Main Street Firehouse, the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through. My friend wants to see Star Tours. We're both disappointed that the railroad, Matterhorn, and Fantasmic will be closed--all of the Anaheim gems we were looking forward to seeing. As far as eats, I'd love to try Cafe Orleans. I tried the legendary corn dogs at DCA last year. Will need to do more research on food. I know the podcasters also recommend Pizza Press at one of the Good Neighbor Hotels.

Anyway, this post is growing a bit long-winded so I'll end it here before it becomes too cumbersome to read. Thank you if you made it this far! I'm bouncing off the walls!

I just did a short trip with DD and it was so much fun! We went midweek though so my advice on PtN and DF might not apply to you - but we watched PtN from the Small World area, literally in front of the queue entrance. We got there around 15-20 minutes before it started and got a spot behind a couple of strollers. For DF we actually watched them by default. We did not plan very well, and wanted to go to Pirates after PtN but got stuck by the Partners Statue, which worked out great since we had a prime spot (see my TR for a more detailed description).

As far as food goes - beignets at Ralph Brennan's, cones (chili, mac 'n cheese or chicken verde) at Cozy Cones, lobster nachos at Cove Bar, entire meal at Carthay Circle was amazing (I compare it to California Grill in quality but actually liked it even better than CG). Churros, Dole Whips (yeah I know you can get them at WDW). Tigger tails, gumbo (with a waterside table) at Blue Bayou, skewers at Bengal BBQ (yum), macaroons at Jolly Holiday bakery.

Rides - Mr Toad, Alice, Pirates is so different from WDW's version, ride in the front on the monorail, Indy, Nemo.

Wow! Thank you! It's so awesome that you found perfect viewing positions serendipitously and without much of a wait! I'll be sure to check out your report. I have been craving this trip so hard. You're making me hungry too!

A few decisions have been made. I think we are going to make this a strictly Disney trip and skip the beaches this time around. I'm just going to stay at Disneyland park for 2.5 days, and I think I'm going to go to the parks the first day that I arrive. My friend will be visiting DCA for his first day so I'll relay your recommendations for eats from that park to him.

I've heard that people begin waiting for the parade and fireworks anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours prior; I'm guessing it being a weekend, I'm guessing I should probably stake out a spot 45-60 minutes beforehand. How did you like your viewing area? I'm not sure if I should park near the beginning or the end of the parade route.

Here is the current plan!
Day 1: DF begins the day at DCA. I arrive in the afternoon and visit DL until closing. DF will hop over to DL at some point. We are both huge Disney nerds.
Day 2: DF and I spend the entire day exploring DL Park! DF leaves for the airport around dinner time. :sad1:
Day 3: My solo day to again explore DL Park!
Day 4: I take an early flight home. :sad1:

I'm hoping this will give me enough opportunity to maximize my experience and completely exhaust this craving, at least temporarily. I feel like hitting every experience on overdrive, and I want to make sure that I make moments to soak everything in!

Here are our current must-sees and must-eats! I just need to arrange them in a logical order and hopefully will get to see everything that I really want to more than once.
Star Tours (Fastpass first thing in the morning)
Hyperspace Mountain x 2 (Single-rider line)
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Pirates of the Caribbean
Indiana Jones (Single-rider line)
Storybookland Canal Boats
Mickey and the Magical Map
Matterhorn Bobsleds (Single-rider line)
Casey Jr. Circus Train
It's a Small World x 2
Peter Pan's Flight
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
The Enchanted Tiki Room
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Paint the Night x 3
Disneyland Forever x 3
Cafe Orleans
The French Market
Plaza Inn fried chicken
Ralph Brennan's beignets (I've heard lots of good things about these)

I really want to make time to slowly explore New Orleans Square and Main Street as well, including:
The Disneyland Story, featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
The Disneyland Firehouse
The Emporium window displays
The Main Street windows
Shops
The Disneyland Railroad exhibit
The Disney Gallery

Here are our second tier choices if there is time! Some of these are borderline must-sees.
Mickey Mouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
The Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at night (Fastpass)
The Little Red Wagon corn dogs
Matterhorn Macaroon from the Jolly Holiday Bakery (everyone seems to be raving about them)
Harbour Galley
Dole Whip Floats

And here are our third-tier choices if there is time. I guess we just feel a little less urgency to see these, but maybe an obligation to since some of them aren't available on the east coast.
The Disneyland Band
Skipper School
Alice in Wonderland
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Tarzan's Treehouse
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Splash Mountain (Single-rider line)
Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters

Will hopefully get this more organized in the weeks to come! Any suggestions welcome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter