A week on the Fantasy or 4 nights at Aulani for Spring Break 2016?

jemmi

Mouseketeer
My family is trying to decide where we want to go for spring break next year and we have it narrowed down to a week on the Fantasy or a week in Hawaii with 4 nights at Aulani and 3 nights at another hotel. There will be 6 of us, with two kids 11 and 15. I've only done a 3 day disney cruise and loved it but Aulani also looks incredible. What would you cruise experts recommend? Thanks!

I'm not a cruise expert, but I'd go to Aulani, just because I've always wanted to go to Hawaii !

I'd do the Fantasy. We're heading to Hawaii in about 85 days and it's kind of a pain trying to figure out when and where to do everything; eat, sight sea, etc. Cruises are a no brainer, except booking a couple excursions here and there. I really wish we had stuck with the Fantasy, even though it would have been our second time on the same Eastern itinerary.

My family is trying to decide where we want to go for spring break next year and we have it narrowed down to a week on the Fantasy or a week in Hawaii with 4 nights at Aulani and 3 nights at another hotel. There will be 6 of us, with two kids 11 and 15. I've only done a 3 day disney cruise and loved it but Aulani also looks incredible. What would you cruise experts recommend? Thanks!
Hmmmm.... posting this question on a CRUISE board, could lead to some fairly biased answers.

Personally, as much as I'd love to see the Aulani (and we will one day), I'd go on a cruise at the drop of a hat.

I haven't cruised yet but have been to Aulani twice. The only thing I'll say is that unless you are flying from the West Coast Hawaii is too far away for a meet weeklong trip. We are West Coasters and our minimum is 9 nights. But we really dislike long flights and we travel with younger children which is a lot of work.

I'd agree with the PP that 4 nights in Aulani is just not enough. Unless you add several more nights (even at a different resort) you'll barely be recovered from the flight by the time you have to head back.

the OP said they're spending 3 nights in another hotel.

I would choose a 7 night Fantasy if you haven't sailed it yet, but if you have, go Aulani. That's our plan of action.

We did Aulani Spring break 2013 and Cruise on the Fantasy 2014. Ours kids (younger than yours) preferred the cruise. This is weird b/c when you go item by item - they preferred Aulani's kids club, pools, waterslides, activities, beach - flights are close to the same for us from Arizona - but they would choose a cruise over Aulani. When I ask why - Sergio - they just loved our server enough to outweigh all those other factors.

For us adults -it is hard to say - Aulani was SOOO relaxing and so many firsts to experience with our kids - first snorkel, first kayak - we had a great time in the pool and lazy river as a family. We received some rough news the morning of the cruise so I feel we need a do-over on that - couldn't really relax and enjoy it. Obviously that is unique to us.

Check out ages on kids club at Aulani - can't remember if your 11 year old will be in the younger group or older group - but that could make a big difference in how much they enjoy it.

I'd recommend Aulani. We've cruised on the Fantasy and have stayed at Aulani. You've been on a 3-night cruise so why not try something new and visit Hawaii.
You mentioned you'll be at Aulani for 4 nights and 3 nights at another hotel. There's a JW Marriott right next to Aulani and they share the same lagoon.

Whichever you decide - cruise or Hawaii - is a winner!

Hmmmm, tough choice. We've done both and either way you'll have a great time.

We did Aulani last year (8 nights) and Magic cruise this year (7 nights western Caribbean). I absolutely agree that either one will be over the top amazing. Our kids are grown, but when they were younger our first choice would have been the cheaper option (cheaper, not cheap it's Disney!) I think our sons would have preferred the cruise because of the pools and slides, they would have loved food available and free, and they would have enjoyed the movies and probably teen activites if they liked the other kids. Food gets very expensive very quickly in Hawaii so in my opinion it's a factor. Soft ice cream on board is free, shave ice at Aulani is not.

Not that I'm going to flip flop on my answer, but when we were at Aulani we said to ourselves a number of times that our kids would have probably preferred Aulani to the theme parks because they would have enjoyed the water and not missed waiting in 60 minutes lines for three minute rides!

We're planning return visits to both, but for us a three hour plane ride to Port Canaveral beats eight to nine hours to HI.

Enjoy making the choice.

I would agree with the others that where you are traveling from would tip the scales. I loved the Fantasy and I have traveled a lot so time zone changes didn't faze me, but going to the east coast from the west coast was a big deal for my wife and 3 yr old son. We go every year to the in-laws in upstate NY, but I had forgotten that we always stay on west coast time (get up late, stay up late). I had picked the early 5:45pm dinner time for the cruise and my son was always cranky being forced up from his nap (his body was telling him it was 2:45pm). I think Hawaii would be easier for him to deal with from the west coast. If your on the east coast, I would vote for the Fantasy.

With your 11 + 15 year olds, and if your on the west coast, you might be able to do the later dinner seating on a cruise since they would want to stay up late anyway.

I vote for cruise. My kids have been to Hawaii a number of times, not to Aulani. When we really considered Aulani, it's a beautiful resort with Mickey. I'd rather spend less $ at just as beautiful a hotel without a Mickey sighting & the kids, 13 & 15, agreed. We go to DL every month to see him. I agree with the above poster, the Aulani is so separate from Waikiki, that you're almost stuck there paying the higher food prices, which gets pricey. On the cruise, it's free, eat all you want. I hate counting pennies on vacation.

Wow thank you so much for all your replies and suggestions! We would have quite a time change if we travel to Hawaii since we're from Ohio. I think we're leaning towards the cruise and then doing Hawaii when we can stay longer and enjoy it.

The cruise also will have a Star Wars day so the boys (big boys included) all want to check that out.

Wow thank you so much for all your replies and suggestions! We would have quite a time change if we travel to Hawaii since we're from Ohio. I think we're leaning towards the cruise and then doing Hawaii when we can stay longer and enjoy it.

The cruise also will have a Star Wars day so the boys (big boys included) all want to check that out.

Sorry for being late to the party, but I really think you made the smarter choice with the week long cruise :) As previously posted, all of your activities, dining, recreation is planned and taken care of for you on the cruise.

At Aulani, 4-5 days will be no where close enough to enjoy, relax and explore the gorgeous island of Hawaii. We took our first trip to Maui last summer with our two daughters (15 & 12) and the 7 nights we stayed flew by and we did not accomplish everything on our list. The Hawaiian islands deserve more than a few days. Plus traveling from Ohio, the jet leg is brutal. We broke up our flight from MI by spending the night in LA on both the flight to Maui and then two nights on the return flight. Otherwise you'll be exhausted the first few days on island missing out on valuable beach time! Good luck with your vacation planning and definitely keep Hawaii on your trip bucket list, but try to plan for more time there!!!! :-)

They both sound incredible. If it were me, and I had done a Disney cruise already (which I have), I might try Aulani because it is something different. Also, if you didn't already, you could possibly rent points at Aulani to save money.

With a week in Hawaii, I wouldn't break up your stay. 9 nights would be my cut off for splitting your stay between 2 hotels/islands. If it were 7 nights at Aulani vs 7 on the Fantasy, I would do Aulani.

We just got back from Aulani 2 days ago! We stayed 5 nights plus 2 nights in Waikiki. Our trip to Hawaii was so unique from any other vacation, including our Disney cruises. Our kids loved the vacation (they are 10, 7 and 4). You have a tough choice!

We did Aulani Spring break 2013 and Cruise on the Fantasy 2014. Ours kids (younger than yours) preferred the cruise. This is weird b/c when you go item by item - they preferred Aulani's kids club, pools, waterslides, activities, beach - flights are close to the same for us from Arizona - but they would choose a cruise over Aulani. When I ask why - Sergio - they just loved our server enough to outweigh all those other factors.

For us adults -it is hard to say - Aulani was SOOO relaxing and so many firsts to experience with our kids - first snorkel, first kayak - we had a great time in the pool and lazy river as a family. We received some rough news the morning of the cruise so I feel we need a do-over on that - couldn't really relax and enjoy it. Obviously that is unique to us.

Check out ages on kids club at Aulani - can't remember if your 11 year old will be in the younger group or older group - but that could make a big difference in how much they enjoy it.

I would love to hear about Sergio. We are about to go on the Fantasy. I'm requesting our server today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter