A Week in the World - 10/7 - 10/21

ElizaDoesDisney

Mouseketeer
I'm back! I was initially supposed to be going to Europe for two weeks, but that plan fell apart and at the last minute I decided to pivot - I just arrived in Orlando to spend a week meandering around Disney before heading to Port Canaveral for a week long cruise. I'm solo and looking forward to relaxing and soaking in all the atmosphere and, of course, eating and drinking all the things!

This is mostly a figure it out as I go trip, but I have made a couple of solid plans:
  • Wine Tasting at Wine Bar George on Monday
  • Dinner at Amare with friends on Monday
  • Dinner at Victoria and Albert's on Tuesday - I was super stoked when I actually snagged a random table that popped up from my dining alert.
On my vague maybe do list are some new-to-me places, but we'll see what happens:
  • Yak 'n Yeti
  • Knife & Fork
  • Toledo

I'll try to post pictures and reviews of everything I eat and drink here as I go along.

I was getting in late enough that I just booked a single night at the Hyatt in the airport. This is my go to for late arrival or early departures. Had dinner at the Lobby Bar which was far better than I expected.

Grey Goose Gimlet
IMG_3105.jpeg

Sashimi Appetizer - A but pricey ($22) but better quality fish than I expected for an airport/hotel restaurant.
IMG_3107.jpeg

Crawfish Chowder - This was excellent - well balanced with just the right amount of spice.
IMG_3108.jpeg

And grabbed a glass of wine to enjoy in the giant soaking tub in the room. Pure bliss.
IMG_3095.jpeg

Breakfast at McCoy’s is not nearly as good as dinner. But it’s decent and free for Globalists. They were slammed and waitress seemed frazzled so I stuck with the buffet - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, French toast, pancakes, oatmeal and a number of cold options. It’s not Boma, but plenty of choices for a quick breakfast.

IMG_3110.jpeg

I could not get to sleep last night - so I’m dragging a bit today. I still don’t really know what my plan is for the day. But a park or two at some point, probably.

out of curiosity, dI’d they give you solo rates for the cruise, or do you get charged double occupancy? I usually travel solo and a cruise is on the bucket list, but paying close to double most places is a huge turn-off.

like your trip report so far and looking forward to the rest!

out of curiosity, dI’d they give you solo rates for the cruise, or do you get charged double occupancy? I usually travel solo and a cruise is on the bucket list, but paying close to double most places is a huge turn-off.

like your trip report so far and looking forward to the rest!
I’ve done lots of cruises solo. Unfortunately the cruise line standard is that you have to pay for the full cabin which is usually dual occupancy. There are some ships which have single cabins (NCL, I think). And the other thing to look for is promotions that have reduced or sometimes no single supplement. If you do a google search some TAs will have a list of solo cruiser deals. I’m a big gambler (Disney and Vegas are my things) so I’m on a comped cruise, but I did still have to pay the fees for two.

Was able to check into Hyatt Place Lake Buena Vista early. And celebrated with a nap. I meant to go straight to a park, but reminded myself that relaxation is the game for the week. Eventually made my way over to Animal Kingdom. Not sure if I’ll do any rides, but I’m going to eat and drink my way around the park. Started at the bar at Nomad Lounge.

Jenn’s Tattoo - Bartender offered a “less sweet” option with one pump of syrup instead of three. Love it.
IMG_3116.jpeg

And while it wasn’t on the menu, I asked about the Gobi Manchurian (cauliflower) - this is a great bite.
IMG_3117.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg

Last edited:

So excited to see another report from you! Your tentative plans sound terrific and I cannot wait to hear all about your meals and trip overall!! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got in line for safari, but shortly after they announced that mechanical issues had the ride on hold indefinitely. I decided that was the universe telling me to circle back to Yak & Yeti. Glad I did. Thanks universe.

Tibetan Mule
IMG_3128.jpeg

Firecracker Shrimp - This has a surprising kick to it. It’s wonderful.
IMG_3129.jpeg

I can’t believe that Yak & Yeti has a bar! That serves the whole menu! How have I never known this???

IMG_3130.jpeg

Last edited:
Left AK right around closing and headed to MK parking lot. Arrived at TTC about 30 minutes before fireworks which was perfect amount of time to walk over to Poly and grab a Tahitian Torch from Trader Sam’s walk up bar then meander down to beach where I lucked into a lone open Adirondack chair. A successful evening.

IMG_3132.jpegIMG_3133.jpegIMG_3134.jpeg

Fireworks from Poly Beach were great, as always. I grabbed a boat over to MK and saw serpent from the water pageant on the trip. Was feeling the need for something more and after a debate ended up at the spring roll cart - they only had pepperoni left. They were tasty but a grease bomb. In good news, I’m definitely no longer hungry.

IMG_3139.jpeg

Wandered around Mk for an hour or so checking out the Halloween decor. Headed back to resort now. Plans for tomorrow: sleep in, guided tasting at Wine Bar George, moving to Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress for the next five nights, dinner at Amare with some local friends. May or may not step foot in a park tomorrow.

Slept in and eventually made my way over to Disney Springs. Put myself on the Gideon’s wait list (3.5 hours) before checking into Wine Bar George for the tasting. Tastings are currently running every Monday and Tuesday through end of November and I highly recommend. It was ~$125 after taxes and fees through eventbrite. George leads the tastings himself and it is different wines each time - 3 white and 3 red. He’s clearly very passionate about his craft but the discussion was accessible even to the non-expert wine taster (like me).

Relatively intimate setting with five four tops. A charcuterie and cheese tray at each table. And preset with the six wines.

IMG_3144.jpegIMG_3146.jpeg

George walked through a blind tasting of each offering talking through how to identify the wines by color, smell, and flavor.

IMG_3152.jpegIMG_3153.jpeg

I found a new buttery Chardonnay I liked (Chalk Hill). And had a great conversation with my table mates who were local foodies and gave me some good suggestions on places to try. I’d definitely do this again.

Post tasting lunch at Jaleo. I had to come here because they have the ham croquettes on the Hispanic Heritage Menu running through Oct 14. And that’s my favorite Andres dish ever - and I’ve tried a lot - I’m a big fan of Chef Andres’ restaurants.

Started with a red sangria.
IMG_3156.jpeg

Ham croquettes - These were a bit lukewarm and they are best when piping hot. But still delicious.
IMG_3158.jpeg

Tuna Tartare Cone
IMG_3159.jpeg

Fried eggplant with honey. My first trim tying this and it was excellent. But a huge portion.
IMG_3160.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the Gideons text just as I was finishing up at Jaleo. Took another 30 minutes to get through the line and check out. It was super cute inside, but these better be the best cookies ever. I got three - chocolate chip, peanut butter crunch, and pistachio toffee. I’ll work through them over the rest of the week. I also got a peanut butter cold brew - a little too sweet for me, but glad I tried it.

IMG_3165.jpegIMG_3166.jpeg

Checked into the Grand Cypress and got settled into the room. What a joy to have five nights here before having to move again. Eventually headed over to Swan Reserve and met up with local friends at Amare. This was a new place for all of us.

I did the Greek wine flight.
IMG_3174.jpeg

We shared a fried calamari. Very good - crispy and salty with two excellent dipping sauces.
IMG_3177.jpeg

Bread service with hummus.
IMG_3178.jpeg

I had the sea bass en croute. This was excellent - perfectly cooked. I thought I got a picture once it was opened tableside, but apparently not.
IMG_3179.jpeg

Had a modern grape with dinner.
IMG_3181.jpeg

And ended the meal with a complimentary house made orangecello.
IMG_3183.jpeg

Last edited:
The tasting at WBG looks amazing. I'm very tempted to try to go this month or next. I've done one other tasting event there with George and it was fantastic. My only quibble is I'd prefer more comfortable bar stools with backs but it's a minor complaint. Chalk Hill is a great chardonnay. I think it's on several WDW menus. I'd love to know the local spots your foodie tablemates recommended. :flower3: I've somehow not made it to Jaleo yet. I really need to fix that!! Love Amare and that modern grape drink is my favorite!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter