• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

a very SAD wake up call

Beauty

DIS Veteran
A lady that taught in J.C's school and that I knew personally passed away last night at age 42. What makes this sad is the real reason she passed away was because she was overweight. I can remember about 10 years ago (when she was about my age) the doctor telling her that if she didn't loose the weight it was going to kill her. She was big but not anything that I would consider humongeous (Sp?) but definatly very very overweight. I tell yall that scared me to death, I know I'm overweight, not grossly but enough and I don't want to die at age 42!! The weight had brough on high blood pressure and diabetes and she had gotten to where she could barely walk the past 6 months.

I had just about gotten to the mind set that I was/am going to be big for the rest of my life and I'm going to live my life happily as a big person, but not anymore. This weight has got to come off....so if anyone wants to volunteer to be a loose weight buddy I'm open....

Thanks for listening and if you pray this lady had a husband and a 6th grade little girl that could use your prayers!

How very sad, Beth. Bless her heart. Prayers for her husband and daughter, they have suffered a huge loss :(

I'll be your buddy Beth! I definetly need one.

Sounds great! I'm about to go to bed but I'll pm you tomorrow! I know the first thing I need to do is start walking some every day...I get virtually -0- excersise except for cleaning the house!!

I think we all need this kind of motivation to lose those extra pounds/kilos we are carrying around.

I'd love to lose around 10kg, but it's not absolutely necessary I do, that is just the weight I was before children came along.

Trouble is how do you keep the weight off. I can lose a couple of kilos & then in no time at all it's back on again.:(

I hear ya Nutsy....during the Phen-Fen craze here in the U.S. I took Phenteremine for a total of 2 months....I dropped almost 100 pounds in 2 months....Now from the get go there was no way that was healthy. I even ended up in the hospital from starvation because I wouldn't eat ANYTHING on those pills. Well it got to the point where my DH would have to sit me down and make me eat. But hey I was skinny so I thought it was worth it. Well I came off the pills and low and behold I have gained it all back. I need to loose a good 100 pounds.

Beth, I am sorry to hear this news. If you need another buddy let me know, I would love to lose 30 lbs. I asked DH to buy my a pretty journal for Christmas, I plan on journaling my food and my emotional state of mind.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

Sorry about your friend, a friend of mine passed away Nov 8. He, too, was severely overweight and wanted to lose weight. He was really excited but extemely nervous about going in for the new weight loss surgery to have his stomach ....whatever it is- shrunk to be small so he could lose weight. He talked to me about how the high death rate on the surgery and I told him not to worry about it- well, he didn't make it off the operating table. I don't know what went wrong, but I know he had high blood pressure, so it probably has something to do with that. Its too bad. He was 52 and had one son who just got married last summer- I think he is 27 or so. Too bad. This guy also just retired from Indianapolis Fire Dept. in May. Sad.

Hi. I have been losing weight thru a program in work for 2 months now. Lost 10 lbs so far. I am 32, not quite 5 feet tall and I weigh 161. I am going for a goal weight from between 125 and 130. We weigh in every Tuesday at 6pm.

I found that once I could verbally tell everyone what I weighed it helped a lot. I have started walking, not much though. I bought a stepper from Brookstone store a year ago. Small little stepper that fits in my bedroom and is portable. I use it at night while watching tv. Again, not a lot but enough.

I would love to be in on a weight loss program with you. We can pick a day and time to pm each other or even just come on the boards and "weigh in".

We can do it. It has been very hard losing the 10 lbs but I have to do it for me.

You can all do it too!!!

I'm sorry about your friend :( But at least let her death inspire you to lose the weight you need to be healthly so you can live a long life and see your little boy grow up :)

Very sad. My prayers to her family and her little girl.

Tamie

Such a sad loss! You have my sympathies.

I am in on the bandwagon to get healthier! It's a struggle but I've lost 26 pounds since June eating low carb. My blood work is better than ever! I have a long way to go --- but would be glad to be a buddy thru this journey. I am so phsyched at the new studdies by the American Heart Association on low carb eating! You can red about it on MSNBC.COM

I can honestly say that I feel better now than I have in years!

started in June of this year 247
current 222
goal - under 140
5'2''
:D

That is truly very sad. Because it was all preventable. Yesterday there was a post about a suicide. I remember when I was reading it, a strange thought entered my mind. I wondered if my own bad eating habbits are in a way of a slow suicide. NOw to read your post today has shaken me. I have struggled every day for years and have managed to become 140# overweight. I carry around an extra person everyday! That is a lot to ask of a body. I have recently joined WW and have started again on my journey. The past few days I fell off the wagon, but thanks to your post (and of course my weight loss buddy Wovenwonder's :wave: kind words and success) I am on my way. good luck on your journey, the rewards at the end will be worth all the struggle!

Lots of hugs & pixie dust to you ....so sorry about your friend/son's teacher. I lost one of my favorite teachers b/c she had similar issues.

Good Luck to you on your new endeavor! I wish you well. It will be very hard work, but worth the effort! :) :) :)

That is really sad :(

I would love to be your weight loss buddy if you're still looking for one!

My weight is slowly coming off with working out but I need to get back to my 5 times a week regime instead of the 2 days that Ive had to slip into with the whole move.

Ssorry for such a sad wake up call. I too have stuggled with my wieght forever, I have been thinking that this is just the way I am and I guess I should just get happy. Well I really am not happy and I have been asking myself for the last week the Oprah question, It isn't what I am eating it is what is eating me so what is it? Well I wish I knew but I guess while I am trying to figure it out I should get on some sneakers and go for a walk. Sign me up for the wieght loss program I'll be a buddy. I lost and gained 60 lbs twice. I am really afraid of doing that again. If it comes off I have to keep it off.

Losing weight requires short term discipline. Keeping it off requires a lifestyle change. There are no quick solutions, no magic potions. Losing and keeping weight off means making changes to the way you eat, the type of food you eat and, most importantly, what you do when you aren't eating

It sounds like common sense but most of us, me included, forget this and are doomed to a life of yo-yoing weight.

Early this year I made a decision to change things. So far I've lost almost 40 lbs. It takes a lot of work and monitoring. I haven't been perfect -- I could exercise more and have to really think about what I'm eating -- but I figure it took me years to get to this place so it won't change over night.

Im really sorry to hear about your friend, my prayers will be with the family. I too am overweight, and maybe this wake up call will help more people than you could imagine, today is a new day and Im planning on using it to make one baby step toward fixing this weight problem, thanks for sharing!
michelle s.

ps....if anyone needs a weight loss buddy pm me too! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter