A Very Merry, but also Painful and Nauseating Dec 2014 TR (4/7 - US and IoA)

It sounds like your day rounded out to be such a magical dose of the holidays!

That was a little bit of a weird ending to the CP but I guess its not Disney if they aren't trying to sell you on something (both literally and figuratively.)

Illuminations doesn't do it for me like Wishes does but I definitely think it's visually stunning and I love when they light all the pavilions up at the end.

Glad you enjoyed NPH! We saw him do the CP in 2012 and thought he was fantastic. Actually that was our first year doing the CP but our 2nd time. We had 2 sets of friends down there during our visit so the day after Thanksgiving we did the CP with one set of friends when Geena Davis was narrating. She was good, and I do like her as an actress - but when we saw NPH 4 days later with our other friends we couldn't believe what a difference the narrator makes!

Then we saw him with his family the following day at MK. We rode the carousel with them :goodvibes

your title drug me in too. :D
I also have a bit of an interesting trip to report on....

Can't wait to read more!

I'm glad to jump onto your report and see what happens! We all make the best of the situations we are thrown into, and I bet your trip was no exception to that!

It sounds like your day rounded out to be such a magical dose of the holidays!

That was a little bit of a weird ending to the CP but I guess its not Disney if they aren't trying to sell you on something (both literally and figuratively.)

Illuminations doesn't do it for me like Wishes does but I definitely think it's visually stunning and I love when they light all the pavilions up at the end.

Wishes is my absolute favorite, but we didn't get to see the nonholiday version this trip. That was one of the downfalls that I'll come across, but the Holiday Wishes was magical. Twice. :thumbsup2

Glad you enjoyed NPH! We saw him do the CP in 2012 and thought he was fantastic. Actually that was our first year doing the CP but our 2nd time. We had 2 sets of friends down there during our visit so the day after Thanksgiving we did the CP with one set of friends when Geena Davis was narrating. She was good, and I do like her as an actress - but when we saw NPH 4 days later with our other friends we couldn't believe what a difference the narrator makes!

Then we saw him with his family the following day at MK. We rode the carousel with them :goodvibes

We tried to look around and stalk his twitter in hopes of winding up at the same park as him each day, but we never matched up. That's magical to share a ride with him! I had a Facebook group of December DIS goers and one family rode the mine train at MK with them. I'd love that ride video!

That is a lovely photo you got - I love the palm trees right next to the Christmas tree. I will have to spend more time in each of the countries in WS exploring the shops when we visit. I can't believe they have soda with a marble in it, that seems dangerous. This summer I swallowed a soda can tab that my son dropped in unbeknownst to me. I could never drink anything with a foreign object inside without fear or swallowing it. :rotfl: How great you got to see NPH, he seems like a great guy.

Day Two - A Very Merry Magical Kingdom Day
Tuesday, December 2nd dawned bright and early for the two of us. I have this bad habit of not being able to sleep the first few nights in Disney due to a strange bed in a strange place... :headache: it's just a drain, but I'm a trooper and I power through. After Epcot we had both gone to bed around 11pm, but I tossed and turned until 3am before waking to the alarm at 7am. Yikes. I really wanted to get to the opening ceremony, so I made DH hustle and we were at the bus stop within 20 min. But... the bus was not so accommodating. We never had too bad of a time with our busses until this morning. :sad2:

We got to Magic Kingdom just as the train was pulling into the station, so I caught the tail end of the show. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for me. DH and I wandered into the Magic Kingdom and were in awe of the decorations. Now, mind you, the giant tree was not yet up due to filming of the Christmas Day parade slated for the coming weekend. However, it was just beautiful!
IMG_0441.jpg

We headed over to the mine train because that was my goal as I was only able to snag a FP+ for our last morning before our flight out in the evening. I'm really glad we took this opportunity, because we never made it to magic kingdom that morning :sick: (more on that later).

We ended up waiting 20 minutes for the ride which made DH a little cranky, but he was a trooper. I really enjoyed the ride, but I don't really feel the swinging of the cars as much as I thought I would. It was ok, but not really my thing I guess. Anyway, the weather was beautiful so we headed over the Voyage of the Little Mermaid which had no wait.

IMG_0443.jpg

After riding that I spotted that Ariel's Grotto was also no wait so I took the opportunity to meet a princess. princess: It was only a little after 9am by this point and DH was getting a little hungry, so we popped into Gaston's Tavern for some LeFou's brew and a chocolate croissant. As we were sitting there, DH told me that his feet felt a little sore. I'm pretty used to this complaint in Disney and usually he just needs to overcome the day of minor pain and life goes on. I told him we could power through the morining, have lunch, and then head back to the hotel for a rest before the Christmas Party. It'd be ok. :sad2: Or so I thought.

We walked out of Fantasyland and headed towards Splash Mountain because the weather was just beautiful and I wanted to get a little wet. I had to take a picture of my princess's castle:

IMG_0442.jpg

By my princess, I mean that she's my favorite and we also have a cat named Belle. Our Belle is a true beauty in color, but a Beast in personality. She's the reason why our 20 year old Simba can't spend all day sleeping. Little bugger! ;)
Anyway, we walked over to Splash Mountain and saw there was a minor wait. I told DH I would like to use my Thunder Mountain FP+ first and then I'd hit the water, but he wasn't feeling the ride. He went into his grumpy, silent, grunting mode where everything I said was met with a grunt of approval or disapproval. :mad: I hate when he does that, but I figured I'd rise above it and tackled both mountains myself. I walked back to my DH who had been watching and waiting patiently and found it was just before 11am. He told me that his feet were killing him and he didn't want to walk anymore. With some hustle, I was able to change our BOG FP+ lunch reservation time from 12:30pm to 11:15am (Disney magic? pixiedust: ) and thought maybe a full meal might perk him up.

We have been to BOG for dinner before, but never lunch. While the park itself was really light for crowds (obviously due to no waits on most rides), the BOG area was packed by 11am. We waited a bit before getting checked in and entered a line to pay for our meal. I had pre-ordered our food, but it made us order it all again anyway, so I'm not sure why they make you pre-order. :confused3 Regardless, we put our orders in for the braised beef (me) and the pork sandwich (DH) and then found a place to sit after filling our drinks. DH was confused how they would find us for our food, so I explained the little sensor in the table that probably read our bands with the FP+. He was pretty amused by it. :) (cheering up!? YES!). We sat in the ballroom and ate. The food was AMAZING. I let DH have 1/4 of my meal because I ate most of his fries anyway. Afterwards, as promised, we left the park for an afternoon rest.

Would we make it back in time for the new parade? Would DH ever stop complaining about his feet?? Stay tuned.

That is a lovely photo you got - I love the palm trees right next to the Christmas tree. I will have to spend more time in each of the countries in WS exploring the shops when we visit. I can't believe they have soda with a marble in it, that seems dangerous. This summer I swallowed a soda can tab that my son dropped in unbeknownst to me. I could never drink anything with a foreign object inside without fear or swallowing it. :rotfl: How great you got to see NPH, he seems like a great guy.

It is a little weird, but the marble sits below the cap and it drops into the drink. The marble itself is too big to make it out of the mouth of the bottle, but the concept still baffles me.

I have to ask if you prefer BOG lunch or dinner....we've done dinner there 4x and lunch once. We definitely prefer dinner but we seem to be in the minority!

I have to ask if you prefer BOG lunch or dinner....we've done dinner there 4x and lunch once. We definitely prefer dinner but we seem to be in the minority!

We actually prefer the dinner because it is a bit less hectic and the Beast meet is nice (if that's still the case). However, lunch is convenient and you get good food for a reasonable price. It's a toss up

RL Update.....

It has been a bit since I've posted my last update and I promise I haven't forgotten you all! Unfortunately, DH was in a car accident on Monday evening due to icy road conditions. Luckily he was ok and no one else was involved - he hit some black ice and lost control, hitting center guard posts and ending up in the ditch. The car was a total loss, but we have worked through insurance, had financial insurance (GAP) to pay off the loan in full, and were able to get a new vehicle yesterday. It was a quick shotgun process, but we found a used vehicle 2 years newer and the same model as the car that was lost. For the same price, too. :thumbsup2 I won't say it was luck, but good fortune did smile on us for this terrible ordeal.

Regardless, now that I have that mess behind me, I will hopefully be posting another update this evening. In other news, and more positive news at that, I finally got our PhotoPass photos edited and downloaded so I will post an update with photos for days already covered, and then start including them in future posts! Hooray!

Memory Maker Photos

As promised, I am going to post the MM photos we had taken up through my current update before adding them into our continuing TR. Up until this point, we had taken some MM photos at Epcot and also some with Ariel at her Grotto meet and greet.

IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

I love this service. We participated in a share and it worked wonders on saving us some money :thumbsup2

I will have another update soon... I promise!

Ugh, so sorry about DH's accident :( Glad he's ok and everything is worked out now with the car. Once you determine you're ok, dealing with getting a new car/car fixed is SUCH a PITA :sad2: I skidded out on black ice 20 years ago-I was fine, car totaled. Scary, annoying, time consuming!

Nice MM photos so far! We did photopass a couple years ago and I'm glad we did. I was finally in pictures with the family rather than taking them lol!

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad there were no injuries. That was lucky that you could do a share on Memory Maker. We have it for our future trip and I'm excited about actually being in the pictures with my family. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.:goodvibes

Ugh, so sorry about DH's accident :( Glad he's ok and everything is worked out now with the car. Once you determine you're ok, dealing with getting a new car/car fixed is SUCH a PITA :sad2: I skidded out on black ice 20 years ago-I was fine, car totaled. Scary, annoying, time consuming!

Nice MM photos so far! We did photopass a couple years ago and I'm glad we did. I was finally in pictures with the family rather than taking them lol!

It was a big pain, but more the stress than anything. Glad it is behind us, aside from the pending payment from insurance to the loan, but I do not think that is anything I have to do other than watch.

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad there were no injuries. That was lucky that you could do a share on Memory Maker. We have it for our future trip and I'm excited about actually being in the pictures with my family. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.:goodvibes

I was happy to have pictures with both of us. They're few and far between because we are not "selfie" people ;)

Following along! Sounds like a fun trip so far!

Welcome along! :wizard:

Sounds like a good MK morning, overall. How perfect that you were able to move your meal up at BoG!

Sorry to hear about your husband's accident but glad to hear you guys found the silver lining in the new car!

Your MM pictures look great! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a good MK morning, overall. How perfect that you were able to move your meal up at BoG!

Sorry to hear about your husband's accident but glad to hear you guys found the silver lining in the new car!

Your MM pictures look great! :thumbsup2

Thank you! They turned out far better than we thought, though I'm afraid I didn't edit them as much as I should have!

Day Two, Continued - A Very Wet Christmas Party
When last I left you, DH and I had headed back to the hotel room for a rest. When we entered the hotel room, I knew something was not right. DH was pulling off his shoes and wincing in pain from the process. He became extremely crabby and began immediately complaining about how he hated that his feet always hurt at Disney and etc etc etc. :sad2: It's like the man-cold, only worse. I know there are a few women here who know exactly what I'm talking about :thumbsup2

DH took off his socks and I could see the problem immediately - his pinkie toes were bright red and the nail was literally being pulled up from his shoes. :crazy2: It was really gross to see and looked awful. I gave DH some bandaids and some lotion to wrap up and moisturize his feet while I headed to the AKL gift shop for some of the most expensive Mole Skin packs I have purchase. I knew I should have bought some prior to our departure. I also grabbed some medical tape to see if I could pad whatever it was in the shoe that was catching on his toe. Back in the hotel I got to work on his shoes and he got to work on the feet. After a good 20 min, he was walking in shoes around the hotel room with little issue that he could tell. I felt hopeful and sat back to read while DH napped.

Around 2:15pm we left the room to head back Magic Kingdom for the parade. Unfortunately the bus made us late, so we caught it right at the end and did not see the dragon breathe fire. I'm assuming this is due to the close area of the train station hub? :confused3 DH took some pictures while I enjoyed:

IMG_0447.jpg
IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

After the parade, DH and I walked over near the Christmas Party sign for a picture:

IMG_0466.jpg

I took one at the Halloween Party sign in 2012, so this felt appropriate. I grabbed a MVMCP map and we began hunting for where to get our party bands as it was 4pm. A lovely CM informed us that the shorter lines were in Tomorrowland, so off we went! However, on the way DH was in good spirits and decided he needed to get a santa hat with mickey ears. This sparked a shopping trip where I picked up some Christmas gifts for my nephews, a throw blanket, and a pack of puzzles designed by Tomas Kincaid art. I have since created two of these puzzles (Peter Pan and Lion King), glued them, and framed them for the wall! I love them!

We headed over to Tomorrowland and found the line for the bands. It was quite long and right near Monsters, Inc. Obviously a ride was in order first! We love the laugh floor, but DH wasn't "that guy" today. The exit dumped right out into the line for bands, so we picked ours up before heading to our FP+ for Buzz Lightyear. DH won.... again :guilty: And I admittedly can't find our ride photo from MM. Anyway! We had some time to kill, so DH and I walked back to Main Street for some MM photos with the pre-lit castle.

IMG_0039_2.jpg
IMG_0040_2.jpg

It was getting a little more crowded and near our ADR so off to Liberty Tree Tavern we went. Our ADR was for 5:45pm and we checked in at 5:30pm (after grabbing our Elsa Sorcerer Cards!). However, it took them until 6:10pm to seat us for how busy they were. I absolutely love this food and think it is so delicious, but we repeatedly have issues with delayed seating. Since we keep going back, it appears the food is worth the time. :thumbsup2

After dinner, the party was in full swing and we had some time choices to make. But DH was starting to get sore feet again and it was getting unusually cloudy.... would our magical party turn out, or would we have a painful awakening?

Oh geez- haha, my dad is king of the man cold so I know what you mean!!

LBT is great but its a shame it took you so long to be seated! Glad you had a good experience none-the-less!

That is hysterical and true about the man cold ::yes:: And while it stinks that your DH was having feet issues, I feel for you too - because I've been there!:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter