A US Disney Mom and Son~ to Paris we go! (with your help, of course!)

Disney Lvr of Old

DIS Veteran
Good Morning!!! I know Disneyland in California like the back of my hand and have decided that my next adventure needs to be Disneyland Paris in 2014 with my (soon to be 6yo) DS. It's just the two of us. :)

I am very familiar with the DLR DISboards and have been lurking on the DLP board for a couple weeks since I decided to plan our next adventure.

I have reviewed the helpful info stickies but have a few general questions that I'm hoping can be easily answered~ DLP is definitely different than DLR!

1. Is there a low season? Since my son is so young I have no issue pulling him out of school for this adventure.

2. Which airport is the best to fly into?

3. Easiest way to transfer from the airport to DLP?

4. I'm leaning toward Hotel New York~ I would LOVE to do the Disneyland Hotel but that is not in my price range!! My plan is to walk everywhere.

5. Easy peasy to take a train into Paris to do the tourist thing? Better to stay at DLP and venture from there or would it be smarter to stay in Paris~ sightsee then move to DLP? I'm also contemplating a day trip to London but think it might be too much for my son. He would get bored looking at the sights I think.

6. I usually book through AAA (auto association) but they just looked at me crazy when I asked for DLP. So will I need to book everything myself? I have noticed that booking from the UK site is way cheaper than the US counterpart but cannot pay a lump sum amount. Any way around this?

I think that's it for now~ if there are other things I need to know please feel free to share!

And thank you SO MUCH!!!! I am so excited!!!! :yay::banana::yay:

1. I would say low season is January-March. However DLRP is extremely cold in winter. Also these months do not have a special theme. I would recommend going either early October - great Halloween themeing and if you are lucky ok weather or early December fantastic Christmas season but before the schools break up so not too busy.

2.i don't fly but I believe CDG is the nearest airport.

3. Again someone else can probably provide more information but I believe there is either a coach or you can pre book a taxi/shared mini bus to take you.

4. New York Hotel is fantastic. I have stayed at all of the on site hotels. Definitely the more you pay the better the hotel. However Disneyland Hotel is just so much more expensive than anywhere else I think New York is better value. We will be stating here for the third time in 2014. Everywhere is walkable from this hotel, both parks, Disney village, train station and all hotels.

5. I have heard it is really easy to take a day trip to Paris via train. They also organise coach trips pick ups from the hotel if you don't want to worry about organising anything. If you want to do London you could always fly to London, stay a day or two then take the Eurostar to DLRP. Easily the easiest way to get to the magic.

6.we always book direct via phone with Disney. If you book online you have to pay the full amount up front. If you book by phone you only pay 10% until 60 days before the trip.

Hope this helps

Have a great trip

1. Low season is from January till Easter. And then some weeks in May and June. And then again from September to Mid December. I think it is more or less the same as in WDW and DLR. If school is out growds will be in DLP. And try to avoid the weekends especially Saturdays.

2. Yes the best airport is Charles de Gaule (CDG).

3. The easies way to get from CDG to DLP is the TGV. It is only a 10 Minutes train ride but it is expensive. (We just paid 45€ for a return trip for one adult).

4. Hotel New York is great but only for adults not for a six year old boy. He would love the Cheyenne. But the Cheyenne is "only" a value resort.
Hotel New York is great for adult because there are not so many children as in the other hotels as children dont like the theme of the hotel. ;)

5. It is very easy to get from DLP to the center of Paris. Just take the RER. After 45 minutes you are in the centre of Paris and you don't need to change it is a direct connection.

I would stay at DLP and then make one daytrip to Paris or London.

Thank you!!! I am leaning toward May or End of September beginning of October. I did not realize HNY was geared toward adults~ I will look at the Cheyenne then.

Keep the advice coming~~~ Thank you!!!!:wave2:

Disney Lvr of Old said:
I did not realize HNY was geared toward adults~ I will look at the Cheyenne then.

Keep the advice coming~~~ Thank you!!!!:wave2:

My family loved the HNY....its not Disney themed but it does cater very well for children.....lots of characters about, staff great with children and pool great too. Kids menus too. being a 6 yr old boy he might well prefer the Cheyenne which had lovely cowboy theming....but don't rule out the HNY....its our favourite :-D

My family loved the HNY....its not Disney themed but it does cater very well for children.....lots of characters about, staff great with children and pool great too. Kids menus too. being a 6 yr old boy he might well prefer the Cheyenne which had lovely cowboy theming....but don't rule out the HNY....its our favourite :-D

Good to know~ I was just reviewing the hotel amenities and really prefer HNY~ I think it's still my number 1 choice!!! Thank you for allaying my fears!

next query~ looking at standard room at HNY or Admiral's Floor at NB or Golden Forest room at Cheyenne. Are the upgrades worth it? Reading the threads it looks like the Admiral Floor and Golden Forest amenities have been cut WAY back compared to initial reports.

I am of the mind that this is a once in a lifetime trip so I'd rather pay extra to have everything streamlined and easy. Breakfast without the crowds? I'm in!!! :thumbsup2

Hi :thumbsup2
We have stayed in the hotel New York twice we once got upgraded to Empire State club
It was fab.
lovely quite breakfast room and Mickey and Minnie came round to see us everyday :goodvibes.
We are staying golden forest at the SL next march hope it's similar :).
I do love the cheyenne who doesn't love a cowboy !!.

If I where you I would consider flying into London having a few days there then Eurostar to Paris, then on to DLP.
We have to two 5 year old boys they have been to london quite a few times they love it.
The tube is very easy to use.
You could maybe see a show when you are there if it a one off trip.
My boys love a west end show the lion king on at the min as well as Matilda and Charlie and the chocolate factory.
Xx

Hi :thumbsup2

If I where you I would consider flying into London having a few days there then Eurostar to Paris, then on to DLP.
We have to two 5 year old boys they have been to london quite a few times they love it.
The tube is very easy to use.
You could maybe see a show when you are there if it a one off trip.
My boys love a west end show the lion king on at the min as well as Matilda and Charlie and the chocolate factory.
Xx

LOVE the idea of a show! I will have to practice packing light if we are going to be travelling via train! Thank you!

Another vote for HNY with kids from me :thumbsup2 Been going there since our kids were very small and they love it. You can always visit the other hotels if you want to experience another theme.

I also think that flying into London and then Eurostar to Paris or DLP is ideal. The train station for DLP is right at the resort. When you get there you are actually there! There is a direct train from London and it's so easy, only a couple of hours. :thumbsup2

LOVE the idea of a show! I will have to practice packing light if we are going to be travelling via train! Thank you!

Lol don't know any women who can travel light !!
They have a launderette at the Cheyenne.
The Buffett at the Cheyenne not is not half bad and not that expensive.
It's a very short walk from the hotel New York.
Walk around the hotel it really is like in the movies or that's what my now big boy(16 on Saturday) used to say.:)

So would you pick early May or late September?

Thank you guys so much~ I feel like I can cement things down with your help, get a ticker and make it seem more real!!! :rotfl2:

My son wants to go for the different currency. He was really hoping for WDW but I talked him into Paris with the promise of Euros, Pounds and Francs oh my! :rolleyes:

I would go for September / October just to see the park at Halloween time.
Sure others will say May.
Crowed levels seem to be good early October.
I hate queuing !.
I really didn't enjoy the crowds etc at WDW.
We are going at the end of October 2014.

Another vote for flying into London and then onto DLP or Paris via the Eurostar.

London is an amazing city for children. We live close to the city and take regular trips in with our children. I'd recommend the open top bus tour, Tower of London, Hyde or regents park are also fabulous. Of the shows mention Lion King would probably be your best bet. We've been lucky enough to see them all. Matilda & Charlie and the Chocolate factory I felt were aimed at slightly older children (although you know your DS best).

We're trying Hotel New York at Christmas with our two - I've heard great things about it!

September or May both sound like good ideas. I'd go for whenever you can get the best flights/hotel deals. If you fly to London you'll need to book your Eurostar in advance to make sure you get the train you want.

HTH!

I would probably go for early October to get the Halloween themeing. May is also a great time to go but you will need to pick your dates carefully as there are a few holidays in France around that time plus the UK has a half term holiday at the end of May so it won't be as quiet as it could be.

All the hotels have their pros and cons. We love the Cheyenne for the great cowboy themeing and the bunk beds. The Sequoia Lodge is a lovely hotel with a pool and the option to upgrade to a Golden Forest room. The Hotel New York also gets lots of good reviews and the shorter walk to the parks and the hot breakfast are a plus.

Disney Lvr of Old said:
Good to know~ I was just reviewing the hotel amenities and really prefer HNY~ I think it's still my number 1 choice!!! Thank you for allaying my fears!

It's fab....looking at your later post regarding upgrading.....the empire state club is just fantastic.....bit expensive and it doesn't qualify for any special offers such as 2 nights free etc. Enjoy your planning x

We're at DLP right now, from Oklahoma with much experience at DLR in California. Though we only stayed in London 1 night, chalk up another vote for covering both -- we flew into London (via Chicago), had a great time touring the sites of London (even though the time was short, we saw a lot), and stayed at a hotel directly across from St Pancras station in London - the 10:15 direct train from there to DLP meant it was a very easy morning to wake, enjoy breakfast, and stroll to the station for the easy trip (under 3 hours, though it seemed even quicker) straight into Disney Village, then an easy stroll through the Village to our hotel. When finished with three days here at DLP, we'll head into Paris proper for another 3 days before flying home from Paris Orly. We are each traveling with one large (29") wheeled suitcase, plus one 21" carry-on approved bag and finding no problems with being packed for a total of 9 days with the one large case each, and they are very easy to handle -- probably easy enough for even the 6 year old to roll along, but also not too bad for one person to handle 2 of them! Best of luck to you, but know that we are finding it very easy and a wonderful experience as a change of pace from California (even though we LOVE California and our home away from home at Grand Californian ;))! Though we are just mid-trip right now, I can say we are very pleased we opted to make this journey this year :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter