A twist! Literally TWO painful twists!

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
On Christmas Night, I fell down my basement stairs. I broke my left ankle (fibula), and sprained my right ankle! My left ankle is in a boot for 6-8 weeks. My right ankle is in a brace. I'm cruising on the Magic in 2 weeks. My plan is to use a wheelchair through all airports, and then rent a knee scooter at the port. I've been using the knee scooter around the house, and it works great.

Tips and tricks for traveling (ALONE) while "disabled"? I'm meeting my daughter and friend in Galveston, but traveling to and from Galveston alone. Does my plan sound doable? TIA!

Holy Moly thats rough, sorry to hear about your terrible accident. You sure your current sprain will heal enough to support your body for vacation level walking with a knee scooter? Sounds like you are putting and awful lot of faith in your ability to heal like a superhero.

If it was me and I didn't want to postpone I'd make peace with a wheelchair for the entire trip and get a nice thin motorized one to fit on the ship and call the travel agent to get a handicapped room. Pushing and risking more injury has no upside and can really ruin what could be a nice trip.

Oh no! I don't have any good medical advice for you but wanted to say I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I do hope you are able to enjoy your cruise, and that you heal quickly. Good luck!

Even if you can't get an accessible cabin I would still rent a scooter. They allow you to store it by the mid ships elevator on deck 6 at night. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Even though Magic is the smaller of the Disney's ships, it's still a huge ship. My Fitbit records twice as much walking daily onboard as I do at home and work. Getting a powered chair would decrease your stress. If that can't be done and your daughter and friend are willing, a wheelchair would not be too hard for them to push once onboard. You might try calling DCL to see if they have any recommendations for you. I hope you can heal fast and enjoy your cruise!

Are you non weight bearing on the broken side? If so, I would reschedule.

You won’t even be able to get in and out of the shower on the ship 🤷‍♀️.

I’ve used a knee scooter for weeks - in airports (you can gate check it for free), hotels, other cities etc. I would not use one on a ship. Too many wet surfaces, too much unsteady movement.

Good luck! I hope you heal quickly.

Oh so sorry! I also recommend looking into a scooter. Special Needs at Sea will deliver to most ports/ships. Without an accessible stateroom it won’t fit into the cabin, but there is public storage onboard - ask Guest Services - and maybe a travel companion can help move it there. Getting around the house on a knee scooter can be a lot different that around a ship and ports.

Good luck!

Arrive early at the airport. I would also call the airline to see if you can get assistance to the gates.

I would definitely get a scooter if you can.

The night before our Disney cruise (wayyyy back in 2004) my mom tripped and fell, she sprained both feet. We almost missed our connecting flight in Atlanta. We only made it because an airport employee driving by in a cart noticed her struggling and drove us to our gate.

Oh no! So sorry this happened and I hope you heal fast. I assume your doctor cleared you for travel? If so, contact airline for assistance to the gate since you will be alone. Then a call to special services on the ship to see how you can be accommodated. It is also about your own comfort level and how you are feeling. Whatever your decision, I hope you heal and feel better quickly!

I went on a cruise with a knee scooter! Ports were the worst part because I could not do much, so staying on the ship might be more fun! I didnt have trouble with the ship being too slippery and the knee scooter is less bulky than an electronic one!

also southwest employees were super helpful when I flew!

I went on a cruise with a knee scooter! Ports were the worst part because I could not do much, so staying on the ship might be more fun! I didnt have trouble with the ship being too slippery and the knee scooter is less bulky than an electronic one!

also southwest employees were super helpful when I flew!

THANK YOU!!! I was hoping for first-hand advice from someone. We're only stopping at one port, and we're likely not getting off at all anyway.

THANK YOU!!! I was hoping for first-hand advice from someone. We're only stopping at one port, and we're likely not getting off at all anyway.
no problem! I did karoake and trivia and even attempted a dip in the hot tub - do not recommend - it was so hard to get out haha. I also sat out and read on the dock!

no problem! I did karoake and trivia and even attempted a dip in the hot tub - do not recommend - it was so hard to get out haha. I also sat out and read on the dock!
Omg -- I'm not that brave LOL! I'll be doing a lot of reading on the dock.

I haven’t used one on a cruise, but I used one at WDW. I liked it. I didn’t like the idea of a wheelchair.

I broke the base of my fourth digit on my right foot before the 14-nt Panama Canal cruise and thought it would be fine. I am a frequent DCL cruiser and love the smaller, classic ships. I didn't bring my boot/shoe and absolutely regretted it. Then a few days in, I slammed my good foot into the wood base of the couch and fractured a toe on my other foot.

I was literally all the way forward on deck 5 and it was really difficult getting around especially for the first week. It felt like the ship was huge. It really was unpleasant and I am not one to usually complain. A scooter would have been very helpful (as a solo cruiser for this trip) or something to assist me.

I was shocked at how challenging it was...I thought it wouldn't be a problem at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter