A trip to the ER (not Covid related)

mommasita

DIS VETERAN
After lunch today we heard about the storm warning that was coming, so my husband and myself decided to tie down some furniture in the back. Things were going nicely, I have a frozen shoulder, and other issues there, so I am only able To do so much.

Well, he tossed me a cushion, and don’t I go falling down all the back deck stairs, I knew right away something was wrong, the pain, I saw stars. He comes running, tried to help me up, and I was screaming/crying. He called the 811 nurse line, and she said we better go in, 😬. He drives me there, I can hardly sit, no seatbelt, he couldn’t come in of course, I get it, then you are re-directed all over the Place. I must say record timing to see Dr. , maybe because I was hyperventilating. Dr thinks at least a cracked or Broken rib, X-ray, ct scan , Results: 2 broken ribs. I was given Ativan, pain meds, and very strict rules and exercises to breathe well, not for pneumonia to set in.

I feel badly for my husband, he was waiting in the parking lot, and right there was the temp morgue truck set up outside, I also had to give his name and number, and they called him to ask him how this happened , was violence involved etc !! The Dr did ask me all that, I said no sir, he would not be my husband. He says there are many more domestic violence Cases. 😕

I was never in the Covid area, am now asked to quarantine for 14 days due to the machines used for testing. 😬 I guess my husband also, as we drove home together.

I have 6-8 weeks of this joy, but wanted to share, not that anyone wants to go to the ER NOW, LOL, that you can be seen and taken care of, I think they want you in and out ASAP.

Last edited:
After lunch today we heard about the storm warning that was coming, so my husband and myself decided to tie down some furniture in the back. Things were going nicely, I have a frozen shoulder, and other issues there, so I am only able To do so much.

Well, he tossed me a cushion, and don’t I go falling down all the back deck stairs, I knew right away something was wrong, the pain, I saw stars. He comes running, tried to help me up, and I was screaming/crying. He called the 811 nurse line, and she said we better go in, 😬. He drives me there, I can hardly sit, no seatbelt, he couldn’t come in of course, I get it, then you are re-directed all over the Place. I must say record timing to see Dr. , maybe because I was hyperventilating. Dr thinks at least a cracked or Broken rib, X-ray, ct scan , Results: 2 broken ribs. I was given Ativan, pain meds, and very strict rules and exercises to breathe well, not for pneumonia to set in.

I feel badly for my husband, he was waiting in the parking lot, and right there was the temp morgue truck set up outside, I also had to give his name and number, and they called him to ask him how this happened , was violence involved etc !! The Dr did ask me all that, I said no sir, he would not be my husband. He says there are many more domestic violence Cases. 😕

I was never in the Covid area, am now asked to quarantine for 14 days due to the machines used for testing. 😬 I guess my husband also, aa we drove home together.

I have 6-8 weeks of this joy, but wanted to share, not that anyone wants to go to the ER NOW, LOL, that you can be seen and taken care of, I think they want you in and out ASAP.
:hug:

It's no fun going to the ER under most circumstances, but these days it's downright scary because of the odds that there are going to be lots of people coming in with Covid-19.

It's no fun going to the ER under most circumstances, but these days it's downright scary because of the odds that there are going to be lots of people coming in with Covid-19.

Exactly, Right ?

Before getting anywhere near the hospital they have these pop up tents to triage you, I said I did not want to go in the tent. I am looking like Cruella at this point, screaming crying, she agreed to just check my fever after I gowned up outside. I feel for them, but I knew I could not sit or lie through wtv. After no fever , I was led to regular emerge.

Exactly, Right ?

Before getting anywhere near the hospital they have these pop up tents to triage you, I said I did not want to go in the tent. I am looking like Cruella at this point, screaming crying, she agreed to just check my fever after I gowned up outside. I feel for them, but I knew I could not sit or lie through wtv. After no fever , I was led to regular emerge.

I understand that a lot of people are just self-treating almost everything at home because there seems to be a lot of hints that unless it's life-threatening or it's Covid-19, don't use healthcare resources. But cracked ribs are very serious.

Get well - sorry to hear that.

I understand that a lot of people are just self-treating almost everything at home because there seems to be a lot of hints that unless it's life-threatening or it's Covid-19, don't use healthcare resources. But cracked ribs are very serious.

Get well - sorry to hear that.

Thank-you ❤️. I have nowhere to go lol, but appreciate the well wishes.

Aww, that's a shame! Those can be quite painful! A hot water bottle might be you friend. Take care of yourself. :hug:

So sorry about your ribs, mommasita. I hope the pain is minimal and you heal quickly.

Aww, that's a shame! Those can be quite painful! A hot water bottle might be you friend. Take care of yourself. :hug:

Thank you. ❤Extreme pain! that is a good idea, I’m just all set up, upright on our sofa. We ordered some funky Pillow on Amazon, should arrive tomorrow , to sleep upright In bed.

I tore my Achilles on day 3 of lockdown. A&E was a ghost town. It was unbelievable. I thought it was the worst timing and actually it turned out to be the best.

I hope that you wake up feeling a little better. Your poor husband is going to be eating a lot of humble pie. 😉

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, the meds kicked in and you were able to sleep. A little tip: Do an extra good job on those breathing exercises when your meds are working at their best. You'll be in less pain, and you'll take deeper breaths. It really does matter, especially now.

When my DH was in the hospital, they gave him this breathing tube thingie with a ball . Get the ball between that mark and that mark.

I was encouraging my husband to sing and the the dr said that's not good enough.

How does one know if you "are breathing well"?

I am sorry you hurt so bad! Glad you got treated and released. Do your exercises! Feel better soon.

That stinks.

I am positive I broke my foot (my heel) yesterday (got kicked by my horse), but I am not going to the ER or the urgent care because I cannot risk having to isolate for 14 days. Will just hope it heals okay.

My husband had a bike crash a few years back and broke several ribs, in addition to a torn up shoulder and punctured lung. He slept in his recliner for weeks - he could not get in and out of bed.

The first week or so, he could barely get out of his recliner - the pain of the ribs was so bad. He needed my help to get up, but that also hurt him when I pulled on him. I finally get a scarf and put behind his back and used that to pull him out of the recliner so it wouldn’t hurt so bad when I touched him. Just an idea if your amazon pillow doesn’t work!

Hope you recover quickly! The pain does get better!

Sorry you are going through this. My daughter works in the ICU so I know how bad things are in hospitals right now. I cracked a few ribs on New Year's Day so I know your pain. My dog chased my kitten into the shower with me and I fell in the tub. I was stuck under my husband's shower chair yelling "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" My husband was no help so I had to figure out how to get out of the tub on my own. What didn't help was getting over the worst case of bronchitis I have ever had in my life, at least officially that is what I was diagnosed with.

My daughter gave me a breathing exercise and it hurt like crazy but did help. Take as deep a breath in as you can and then force it out as hard as you can. I don't know that she ever told me how many to do at a time but I did 10 every half hour or so. It did help but not wanting to be a downer those ribs are going to hurt for awhile. I almost canceled my Disney trip the beginning of March but thankfully it seemed like almost overnight the pain went away. At least you got something for pain. I was prescribed Tylenol!!! Of course 2 weeks later I crushed my thumb and just Tylenol again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter