A tip for pushing a wheelchair!

LPZ_Stitch!

ºoº DIS Veteran
Hi,

We're just back from our trip to WDW (11/6 - 11/11) and I thought I'd share a useful tip for navigating the park while pushing a wheelchair.

Our DS9 is disabled and has his own (manual) chair (i.e. we don't rent a Disney one), but I think the tip is equally valid no matter what type of chair you're pushing.

Here's the tip:

Always move at a moderate walking pace, trying not to be faster or slower than the people walking around you.

Then, choose your "line" and stick to it. DON'T try to swerve in and out around the other people walking (especially those walking towards you) or try to find "holes" in the moving crowds to fit into. "Holes" tend to close up as soon as you go for one!

Make eye contact with the on-coming traffic and smile at them, but don't try to get out of their way. If you do, invariably you'll end up "dancing" with them; both of you going in the same direction a couple of times until someone sorts it out and goes the *other* way. :) That can be tough on your arms and back if the 'chair you're pushing is fairly heavy.

99% of the people will recognize that you're pushing a wheelchair and will very kindly take one step to the right or left to get out of your way.

During out entire trip, I never hit anyone nor tripped anyone with DS's chair; and I moved through even heavy crowds like a boat through water! :) My DW just fell into step right behind me, and we got wherever we needed to go in short time!

Those are wonderful tips. The same could probably aply for strollers too> :flower:

oh gee - you were so lucky!!!

when I push mother - some teens are ALWAYS walking in front of us. I generally say in a very loud voice - ' Don't blame me if I hit you' - then they look again and generally get out of the way.

Going down the land in the wheelchair only lane is a nightmare. then I do tell people this chair is heavy and I can't stop it easily......

thanks for the hints.
Some of them are probably more valid for the WDW rental wheelchairs because they are heavier than most people's own wheelchairs.

Going down the land in the wheelchair only lane is a nightmare. then I do tell people this chair is heavy and I can't stop it easily......[/QUOTE]

Gosh, that was awful! I had my mom in her transport chair going down that ramp. Her chair has the hand brakes for me but I still had my sister hold on the the side of the chair to help slow her down. Got to wonder what they were thinking when they made that ramp. They need to do some level landing areas for slowing down or something.

She had a great time at Epcot, though. She rode Spaceship Earth, the Living with the Land ride (her absolute favorite!) and the Imagination ride. We spent 6 hours at Epcot and she loved it all!

Another hint. In the MK there is a slight decline going from Tomorrowland to Adventureland. If you reverse, going from Adventureland to Tomorrowland, you will be pushing up hill. If you are in fine shape, it may not make a difference.

There is also a hill going downhill from Fantasyland to Liberty Square in MK. It's a pretty steep hill that you might want to go up (travel from Liberty Square to Fantasyland) if you are afraid of stopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter