A Thank You for Teacher

We have done different things over the years. Some were monetary gifts in a thank-you card, gift cards from Barnes & Noble, Perkins, Applebee's, etc. We have also put little gift bags together with themes. For example, "movie night". We would get a gift card from Blockbuster and place it in a gift bag along with 2 bottles of soda and some snack bags. I have also ordered "personalized" gifts for them.
I hope these ideas help. Have a wonderful end of school year! :goodvibes

My dd had an excellent kindergarten teacher this year and an excellent TA. So, I put together beach bags for them. I ordered the medium bag from lands end with name emroided. In the bag I put a beach towel, flip flops, insulated water bottle, sunscreen, magazine, and M&M's.

Normally I wouldn't do this much, but these two teachers went beyond the call of duty. I am a teacher myself and I was very impressed with how things went this year.

As a teacher, the absolute best is a handmade card written by the student or parent that is truly from the heart. Those mean more than candles, lotions, or mugs. (I personally don't care for any of those gifts.) If you insist of a gift I enjoy getting gift cards to local restaurants or even Target. I would suggest stearing away from bookstores though for the simple reason that most teachers accumulate Scholastic points and can get books at a significantly reduced rate. Personalized notecards are also very nice. You can never have enough of those. I like the themed basket idea listed above too. Whatever you do, it will be appreciated!

We all know that teachers tend to spend their own money to have extra school supplies for when kids run out of something. So something I have done is to give them a collection of school supplies ...with a twist. I attach a note to each item that says something like the following...

crayons - Thank you for coloring my world with new ideas.
sharpie - Thank you for giving me the "permanent" impression that learning is fun.
modeling clay - Thank you for being a great role "model".
eraser - Thank you for helping learn from my mistakes.
ruler - Thank you for guiding me along the straight and narrow.
Pencil shapener - Thank you for helping me keep my mind "sharp".
glue - Thank you for helping me hold it all together.
Starburst candies - Thank you for inspiring sudden "bursts" of inspiration.

You get the picture.

I put it all in container with a big bow.

As a teacher, I loved Target gift cards because even if there wasn't something fun at target I wanted to buy, I could use it on household items and then use the money toward whatever I wanted. I have gift cards for manicures and restaurants laying around from students I had over 5 years ago, but Target or visa gift cards, I used and enjoyed. Even more than that, I really have to second the card. The cards and letters written from the heart meant more to me than anything else.

For my daughter's teachers, I will usually have her make something for them... a bracelet, etc. and then give a target card and a have her make them a card and I write a thank you. I know how much heart they put into their work, so it makes me happy to do all I can to thank them.

For my daughter's Kindergarten teacher this year, we bought a cute ceramic pot and planted a tomato plant in it that we started from seed for our garden. We figured it would be something she could put outside and enjoy all summer long!! We also wrote a thank you note from my husband and myself, and my daughter made a cute little thank you card for her as well.

We all know that teachers tend to spend their own money to have extra school supplies for when kids run out of something. So something I have done is to give them a collection of school supplies ...with a twist. I attach a note to each item that says something like the following...

crayons - Thank you for coloring my world with new ideas.
sharpie - Thank you for giving me the "permanent" impression that learning is fun.
modeling clay - Thank you for being a great role "model".
eraser - Thank you for helping learn from my mistakes.
ruler - Thank you for guiding me along the straight and narrow.
Pencil shapener - Thank you for helping me keep my mind "sharp".
glue - Thank you for helping me hold it all together.
Starburst candies - Thank you for inspiring sudden "bursts" of inspiration.

You get the picture.

I put it all in container with a big bow.

I love this one!!

In the past, I have made coffee gift baskets (with Dunkin cards, cookies...), book marks (with a poem about teachers and DS's picture on them), gone in on group gift certificates, or written special thank-you notes.

This year, I suggested a picture frame, and DS came up with the idea to have his whole class sign it - so I will make some sort of "thank-you" insert from scrapbooking supplies and let him do that.

For my son's SN Pre-K teachers, I picked up some keychains from the Coach outlet for about $10 each. They loved them.

As a teacher, I usually receive gift cards which are great. I had one student for 4 years who gave me AMEX gift cards every year...fun!...of course this year, from one student I got a "new car smell" car deodorizer. :lmao:

My absolute very favorite was when I was working at a very low-income school and a student brought me the ugliest ceramic puppy you have ever seen. It was obviously something he had either brought from home or found in a thrift store. The fact that he wanted so badly to give me something at the end of the year, when he had so little, was so touching. I loved it...and still have it 10 years later. It reminds me of why I do what I do. :)

We have a teachers supply store here called TAPS. I try and get a gift card to their or Michaels. It seems there is ALWAYS "something" from those stores that teachers need.

We have done gift cards to the movies or the local pizza place in the past. This year we did beaded book marks from this little shop in my town. My kids always write a thank you card as well, and I do too. I always make a point to e-mail the principal and let them know that the teachers were wonderful and why.

The class mom sends out a notice for donations toward a class gift. That is usually a generous gift card. I decided to opt for a Visa Gift card this year so she can spend it however SHE likes.

I come at this from the position of a family of teachers, from prek to high school. Some prefer different stuff. Some prefer food, others won't touch food made by others. I don't want to sound unappreciative, but gift cards are the way to go. Teachers get so much "stuff" that it just adds up. They can only take so much apple stuff. A 5 dollar gift card to walmart is much more appreciated than 5 dollars worth of apple stuff. I hope this helps someone.

At my kids' school, the room parents usually take up a collection and present the teacher with an American Express gift card.

I contribute to that gift, but I also give something small (this year it's mini potted roses) with a thank you note from my child.

I found a really great little booth at the "One of a Kind" Christmas show. For each of my kids' homeroom teachers I got a children's book that is appropriate for their class. The vendor then disassembles the book and intersperses chunks of note paper throughout the book pages and then reassembles it with spiral binding. I am going to have each child write a note to their teacher on the inside page and then they have a keepsake notebook with a personal touch.

And if they didn't like my kids they can just rip that page out. :lmao:

We got my DD's kindergarten teacher this year a few things. We got a flower pot and put a couple packets of "forget me not" seeds in it. (I think I got this idea from the boards - thank you!) I also gave her a $25 Target GC and my DD made her a card and wrote her a letter. I also wrote her a very nice heartfelt letter. She was an awesome teacher and I wanted to show her how much we appreciated her!

I got my dd's pre-k teachers movie gift cards and movie candy.

My son's preschool teachers...one I gave the movie card and candy the other (the actual teacher) I gave a restaurant gift card (one time I asked ds where he wanted to go for lunch and his teacher spoke up to where she wanted to go so I made a mental note and got her a gift card from there) and also made her a scrapbook page...reasons why ds loved her and school with a picture of him on it. She said she really loved it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter