A Teacher MISSING school 4 WDW...

I have also run into my students on a school day while in WDW, the most recent being this past late January. Both the mom & I took photos of me with the kids right in Tommowland.:rolleyes1

I have a picture of DD riding Dumbo with her teacher. She's BEAMING from ear to ear, like it was some special secret thing that no other child ever got to do :rotfl:

I have a picture of DD riding Dumbo with her teacher. She's BEAMING from ear to ear, like it was some special secret thing that no other child ever got to do :rotfl:

Well, it would certainly be something very FEW got to do ;)

I don't see a problem with a teacher taking off time that they've earned. Think about it, doctor's take vacations....even if they go in the summer, some of their patients must be seen by other doctors. I mean there IS no good time for them.... Your class isn't more important than your family, if you have the time and can spend a more enjoyable time with them at THAT time of year... do it. It would be one thing if he was constantly missing work to play, but once a year? I doubt anyone ever died and said "I wish I had spent more time in my classroom."

My summer is so short now anyway. We get out in June and start back up the first week of August. Now, for three years I also go to two weeks of training during the summer and seven Saturdays during the school year. Guess where I'm going in January?

A full week? No, I don't think a teacher should do that unless there are special circumstances such as a wedding, an illness or a military spouse. My SIL is a teacher in my district and it would be frowned upon if she tried to do that.

If the teacher's absence will not negatively impact anyone else and is within the guidelines of their contract, they should feel free. If a kid is absent for a week it doesn't generally hurt anyone else. If that's true of the teacher too, they ought to go right ahead.

I am a teacher and so is my husband. He had never been to WDW and I wanted him to experience it without our daughter first. We took a trip and tied it to a long weekend we had on the school calender. My students and his knew we were going on a vacation. Our principals knew we were taking a vacation as well. It was wonderful. Weather, crowds, time of year. Worth every minute of the planning and agonizing we went through to get the right subs for four days and the right work left behind!

I agree with the above posters: Family Comes First! I see that you have a 4 year old, so your time for going during the school year is coming to an end (I am assuming that if DH is not comfortable missing the time himself, he will not want your child missing time).

I say go and have a great time.

OOh Yea.. You would NOT want me to take DD out of school for vacation...He doesn't understand sometimes other things ( like Family) are a priority

I would have no problem with it at all. Plenty of families take advantage of slower vacation seasons, shy shouldn't a teacher do the same thing for their family.

My DH and I are both teachers. We would not be too upset if our child's teacher took time off for a vacation because we know how hard they work, BUT we would never do it ourselves. Also, the community that we live is pretty critical of teachers and I would imagine that many would not look favorable on this. We do not believe that substitute teachers (no matter how amazing they are and there are some great ones out there) can give the students the same educational experience as the regular education teacher. They don't know the kids and usually they don't know the curriculum. I teach chemistry and pre-engineering and the substitutes would not be able to prepare or supervise labs. My husband teaches technology classes and most of the subs don't know how to work the technology in his classes. The reality is that when high school teachers are out, it often turns into a movie day. We are not allowed to take personal days for a vacations and we wouldn't feel comfortable doing it anyway. If your husband doesn't feel comfortable doing this, I personally wouldn't push it. We don't love having to take trips during school vacation week, but it works out best for us and our family doing it this way.

every time I think of taking the kids out of school for vacation. I crumble and just for some reason can't do it. I would have a guilt complex taking them on vacation while school is in session. Worried what if this or that ? I tried to plan during free dining once but caved and changed to those hot busy summer months. I can relate and hate that we can not take advantage of all the deals because of dictated school and vacation times. I hope you do what works for you best.

Seriously I have always wondered why people feel the need to judge others and why they feel it is ANY of their business.

(I have not read any responses so this is to no one in particular).

If you want to go, then go. If parents want to pull their kids out of school and the kid is not struggling in school then so be it.

Really, I can not believe that people care so much about things that do not have anything to do with them.

Go for it! You have vacation time, so use it for VACATION!

My Sister-in-law is the assistant director of Special Education for our district....and she's going with us in 48 days!! Go have fun

One of the kindergarten teachers at ds' school took almost a week off last fall to go to Disney with her twins. I'm so glad she did, b/c it made dh realize that the world was not going to end when we took ds out of kindergarten for a week to go to WDW ourselves. :laughing:

I think at some point he should agree to do it ONCE in his lifetime. Now I wouldn't encourage it every year by any means. As far as the kids or the kid's families, I wouldn't mind if my kid's teacher took off however long she wanted to as long as they had a qualified competent substitute teacher to replace them. As a matter of fact my DD would LOVE for her teacher to go on a LONG vacation. (personality conflict) The ONE DAY her teacher missed this year and she got a sub teacher for the day, DD said it was the best day of her life not having to deal with the teacher from H***.

My daughter's teacher takes a week off in early December every other year to go to Disneyland. This was one of the reasons I wanted my daughter to get her, I knew she wouldn't freak out when I took my daughter out of school for two days this November for Disneyland :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter