A Tale of A Thousand and One Trips - The Never-Ending Trip Report

Isn't it nice how having an AP changes your outlook toward visiting?

Sounds like you had a nice relaxed day and got on quite a few rides.

The Chinese food sounds yummy.

Isn't it nice how having an AP changes your outlook toward visiting?

It is indeed. I really enjoy being able to take a more relaxed approach.

Sounds like you had a nice relaxed day and got on quite a few rides.

Yes, this day had just the right balance of rides, characters and just looking around.

The Chinese food sounds yummy.

It was. I think we discovered this restaurant on our second trip to Disneyland Paris and it has been a fair favourite ever since.

Corinna

Day 3

This day I had to be disciplined. I did not get a run in the day before so I had to go out for a run this morning. I got up ‪at 8:15 and got dressed while letting Graham sleep. There was a lovely tree-lined street just round the corner from the hotel, which I thoughT would be perfect for running. I was less than impressed when I stepped out of the hotel as it was actually snowing. Still there was nothing I could do about it and with where I live; it is guaranteed that at least some of my runs will be in bad weather. At least it did thaw as soon as it hit the ground. I figured that the sooner I started running the sooner I would be back. So I set off. I had always known that Champs sur Marne is a quirky kind of place. Up until this point, I had not realized quite how quirky it is. So there is that lovely wide, tree-lined avenue and then it suddenly stops after about half a mile. So I backtracked and found another nice straight road and the same thing happened again. By the time I got to the end of the third road, I had fortunately finished my run and just had to do the cool down walk. This ended up perfectly timed as I had only less than a minute left by the time I got back to the hotel and just as I was walking up to the lift, the app that I use told me that I was done. I woke up Graham before having a nice long hot shower. I don’t think a shower has ever felt so good. I got dressed and ready and then we headed down to breakfast.

I do not normally eat breakfast, but we had decided the evening before that we would add breakfast to our reservation. The breakfast offered was of the continental variety, but was very nice. We both had some juice and they had a rather fancy coffee machine. Graham had a latte and I had an espresso. We both had some fruit, baguette with cold cuts and cheese. I had a Madeleine cake and Graham had a croissant. Once we had finished my breakfast, we headed back up to the room where I collected what I needed for the day. We agreed where and when we would meet. Our plan had been to go to a Korean restaurant near Disneyland Paris that evening. I then said goodbye to Graham and headed off. I got lucky again and the train was pulling in just as I came down the stairs to the platform. Unfortunately this is where my luck ended. I came out of the station at Marne la Vallee and was faced with complete and utter chaos. The whole area between the station, the fence for Disney Village and the fence leading down to the parks was wall-to-wall people. I actually felt that this was a thread to security. It would have been easy for somebody up to no good to exploit this. It took me an hour to get through security that day. The practicalities were similar to the day before with x-ray machines and random manual checks, but they had additionally set up metal detector frames. I do not understand why this added so much time to get through security. Sure, it was busier that day, but this should not have made so much difference.

Eventually I was through security and I was worried what I would find at the other end. However, I was positively surprised. There was next to no lines at the entrance and I was inside the park very quickly. By then I was frozen solid and I decided to check out the shop near the entrance to warm up. Once I felt a bit warmer, I headed into the park proper. I had to stop at the Partners statue to say “hi” to Uncle Walt and take a photo and then I made a beeline to the Ratatouille ride. I caught this at the right time. The standby line was already 90 minutes at the time, but the single rider line was only 15 minutes, which is very fair for that ride. The standby line peaked at 200 minutes later in the day. The ride is really good, but it is not that good that I would stand in line for that long. Still, with a 15-minute wait, I really enjoyed it. I then crossed over into Toy Story Playland. I pondered RC Racers for about 30 seconds, but then chickened out. Instead I headed over to Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin. I had wanted to try this in November, but never got round to it. I checked the waiting time, which was 15 minutes and got in line. The posted waiting time was pretty accurate. I really did enjoy the ride. I then headed over to the opposite end of the park. I had hoped to do the Studio Tram Tour as I thought that this would be closed for refurbishment by May, but with a waiting time of 60 minutes, I decided to pass especially as it was freezing and the line is all outside. As it turns out, it will still be open at the beginning of May. That time I will be there on a Monday so hopefully the line will be a bit more manageable.

I decided to head over to the sound stage where the Spiderman meet and greet is. With the park being so crazy busy, I did not really expect that the waiting time would be anywhere near what I would find acceptable. I was positively surprised. The waiting time was only 20 minutes. That was much less than it had been in November on a relatively quiet day. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that Rock’n’Rollercoaster was closed and that there is not much else in that part of the park. Anyway, whatever the reason, this was too good to pass up. So I got in line. In the end I waited slightly longer, but the line is indoors and this was actually quite welcome. The interaction was not as great as the one I had in November, but I still had fun.

There was one slight issue. The photographer was extremely quick scanning a temporary Photopass card and when I handed him my Photopass card, he was not able to scan this. He gave me the temporary card and told me where to go to have the photos transferred onto my annual Photopass card. It looks like the location for this recently changed as I was twice sent elsewhere, but once I found the correct location it was quick and easy to rectify. As I was near the exit at this point anyway, I decided to cross over to Disneyland.

I had a wander around Main Street. I spotted the decorations on the lampposts and had a closer look. All of the lampposts along Main Street had hanging baskets with artificial flowers hanging from them and some other decorations featuring various characters. I really liked this. People started to arrive for the Minnie’s Spring Train mini parade so I decided to hang around and find myself a spot for this, too. This was rather cute and I am glad that I made the time for this.

I knew that it was futile trying to do any of the rides that day. So I decided to just have a good look round and “smell the roses”. I checked out the character topiary around the hub and then had a look at the decorations around the castle. By the time I had had a good look around and had taken some photos, I was ready for some lunch. I ended up at Au Chalet de la Marionetteand had a Bavarian Hot Dog with Currywurst sauce. This came in a pretzel roll and was very tasty. Afterwards I decided to check out some characters. Captain Hook was out near Au Chalet de la Marionette, but the line was very long and it looked like it was about to rain again so I passed. I walked past Café Agrabah to see who was out there. If was Jafar, who I had met at Disneyland in September so I passed on getting in line there, too. Instead I headed back to Main Street to see Thumper and Miss Bunny. The line did not look very long, but moved very slowly. Still, for those two I am happy to stand in line. While I was waiting I saw some of Goofy’s Garden Party. I decided to check this out properly the next day.

Eventually I got to meet with Thumper and Miss Bunny. This was fun again and was worth the wait. I then decided that I had got quite cold enough for one day and would head out. On the way out, I decided to check out the new character meet and greet spot near the bottom of Discovery Arcade. This was listed as Donald or friends on the map. I was hoping that I would get to meet one of the characters in the spring outfit. However, when I came closer, I saw a flash of blue. I was just about to turn around and head out, when I spotted something that did not look right. Instead of a sailor cap, the character in front of me had something black on his head. Disappointment turned into utter delight. It was not Donald in his everyday outfit that was out and about, but Scrooge McDuck. I got in line. I had a bit of a wait, but it was worth every second as I had a fantastic interaction with him. First he took an interest in my glasses pointing out that he had some as well. Then he developed an obsession with by handbag and deducted that I must be rich. It was so funny.

Once I said goodbye to Scrooge McDuck, I headed out. I decided to go via the Disneyland Hotel to check out if they had their lobby decorated for spring. As I had liked the way they had decorated the hotel for Christmas so much, I thought it would be worth a look. I was right. They had set up a beautiful spring pavilion in the lobby. I had a good look at this and took some photos and then I decided to check out their gift shop. There was nothing there that took my fancy so I headed to the station.

Again everything worked like clockwork and it did not take me long to get to the hotel. Graham was already there. I was chilled through the bone and slipped under the covers before catching up online. Neither of us felt like going out again that evening so our plan to eat at the Korean Barbecue went out of the window. Instead we headed down to the hotel restaurant. I have to admit I was not exactly inspired. I am not a big fan of French cuisine at the best of times. The menu was also all in French and the server seemed to be in a mad rush. Graham had a vegetable soup followed by a steak with chips and a rather nice dip. I had not really got much further than the starter menu when our server came to take an order and somehow I could not get through to him that I needed a little longer. So I gave up and just had a starter. I had baked Camembert with a salad garnish and warm onion marmalade. With the bread that we had on the table, this actually ended up being a pretty filling meal and I rather enjoyed it. I also “helped” Graham with his chips. I had spotted that there was Crème Brulee on the menu and I had planned to have one of those for dessert, but I was stuffed. Once we both had finished our food, we headed upstairs. We ended up having an early night. It had been quite a tiring day.

That definitely sounds like a much more trying day than the day before. At least you got in a few character meets! It has made me laugh that you're in France and you keep planning to eat at Asian restaurants. I love French food so this perplexes me!

Well done for persevering with your run that morning! First the snow and then the funny streets, I would have been tempted to give up. Did you ever go back to that program at the mall or have you been training yourself?

Too bad about the crowds at the park, but it sounds like you still managed to have a fun day. I had no idea France was that cold in the spring.

That definitely sounds like a much more trying day than the day before. At least you got in a few character meets! It has made me laugh that you're in France and you keep planning to eat at Asian restaurants. I love French food so this perplexes me!

It was, but it was still fun. I have never really enjoyed French food. To me it is far too pretentious. I am however excited about sampling the food in the south of France, which is very different and much more down to earth.

Corinna

Well done for persevering with your run that morning! First the snow and then the funny streets, I would have been tempted to give up. Did you ever go back to that program at the mall or have you been training yourself?

I never did go back to the running group. I had been training by myself, but I have been unwell on and off since early March so that has gone on a backburner. I do however hope to do my first 5K run on the Ovation.

Too bad about the crowds at the park, but it sounds like you still managed to have a fun day.

It being Saturday and the first day of the spring festival, I did expect it to be busy. Once I was through security, I did not mind.

I had no idea France was that cold in the spring.

That is not unusual. At the moment it is 48 degrees at Disneyland Paris and 46 degrees here in Manchester. Sometimes we get lucky and it is nice and warm during the second half of April. This year we seem to be out of luck. I was hoping that I did not have to take a coat on our trip, but I think I probably will have to. Once we get to the south of France, I will be fine, but until then it looks like it will be quite chilly.

Corinna

Day 4

I had no run to do that day so I could sleep a little longer. We got up around 9:00 and headed for breakfast. We both had fruit, baguette, cold cuts and cheese again washed down with juice and coffee. They had a contraption to make boiled eggs so I decided to try this. I had a soft-boiled egg, which I rather enjoyed. Graham had some yoghurt again and I had another Madeleine. After breakfast we went back to the room and I picked up my luggage. We would spend the last night at the Ibis Budget near the airport again. Graham promised that he would find a suitable meeting place and email me. Then I set off.

I got lucky with the trains again and this time when I exited the station at the other end, it did not look too busy. I noticed that they had a separate security screening point open for Disneyland so I headed in that direction. I had maybe 10 people in front of me. We had the third variation on security procedures. Like every day, my bags were x-rayed and I was asked to open my coat. Additionally everybody was scanned with a metal detector wand. This system seemed to work pretty well and I was through security very quickly. I went to the left luggage facility and there was quite a long line. This was the first time I had seen more than a couple of people waiting to leave their belongings. Still, they had this well organised and I did not have to wait too long.

With my luggage safely dropped off, I headed for the park. I headed to the area where I had met Scrooge McDuck the previous day. Goofy in his spring outfit was walking past me. I was hoping that he was going to meet people, but apparently he was going in. Scrooge McDuck was about to come out again. I was a little disappointed that the spring characters were only out for the first hour. I headed over to the meet and greet spot near the bottom of Liberty Arcade, which is labeled as Minnie or Friends on the map. There was no character out when I got there and initially a cast member told me that Minnie would be out, but he was corrected by another cast member stating that Marie was coming out. I had already seen Marie so I moved on.

I took a couple of photos around Main Street and then headed towards Plaza Gardens. I had read on Facebook the day before that there would be a vegetable carver there over the weekend and I wanted to check this out. Everything was set up, but the vegetable carver was not in residence yet so I decided that I would come back later.

I headed over to Discoveryland and did Buzz Lightyear Astro Blast twice. I then decided to go and check out Space Mountain. The posted time for the single rider line was 10 minutes so I decided to give this a go. In the end I waited about 30 minutes. They were not very efficient loading the rockets and some of them left half empty. Eventually I did get to ride and I did enjoy it. Once I had my photo added to Photopass, I took some close ups of the character eggs in Discoveryland and then I headed back to Plaza Gardens. This time the vegetable carver was out and I loved his creations.

I crossed into Adventureland to check out who was out near Cafe Agrabah. It was Abu so I carried on. Opposite the pirate galleon, Wendy and Captain Hook were out so I got in line. Unfortunately when there were only a couple of families were ahead of me, Wendy and Captain Hook went in for a break and only Captain Hook came out again. Still, it was nice meeting him.

I decided to head in Fantasyland to ride the Snow White ride as that had been closed in November. On the way, I finally found the character eggs for Adventureland, which were in the river between Adventureland and Fantasyland. While I was in the general area, I decided to take some photos of the eggs in Fantasyland, too. That turned out to be a mistake as I spotted the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter out and my interest in the Snow White ride went out of the window. When I got the near the front of the line, they went for a break and the Queen of Hearts came back out, but this time with Alice. I was pretty happy with this. Poor Alice was so cold, she was shivering. I really felt for her.

I had wanted to see Princess Tiana, who has a meet and greet set up on the riverboat landing at the moment. So I headed back through Adventureland to Frontierland. I got there just as the meet and greet was supposed to start at 14:00. The line was huge, but I decided to get in anyway especially as Tiana was wearing her winter outfit and was with Prince Naveen. Shortly after I got in the line, a cast member came to advise that they would be out for 35 minutes and I may or may not get to see them during this set. They would then be out again at 15:00. I was not that desperate to see them.

I headed back towards Main Street and caught the last performance of the day of Minnie’s Spring Train. I decided to watch this from the opposite side of the road so that I could see the other side of the floats. I enjoyed this again and then headed back to Discoveryland, as there was still some time until Goofy’s Garden Party. Just as I was walking into Discoveryland, it started to hail. I had planned to do Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast one last time, but part of that line is outside and that did not appeal at that moment in time. Instead I headed into the Hyperion Cafe. I decided to get a Jedi Burger and ended up watching Star Wars cartoons in French. By the time I came out again, it fortunately at stopped hailing. I decided to stake out a spot for Goofy’s Garden Party.

I was not really sure what to expect, but this was another mini parade and very cute. It was a great mix of performers, mini floats, cars and characters. Horace Horsecollar came over to kiss my hand and right at the end, Goofy spotted my spring ears and came quite a way to see me. I had so much fun.

Once Goofy’s Garden Party was over, I had a message from a couple from Germany that I know who had arrived at Disneyland Paris that morning. I knew that they had a brunch reservation at Innovations at the Disneyland Hotel, but we were hoping to catch up before I would leave. They had arrived in the park and were waiting to see Marie. I messaged back that I was not far away and would come to see them. They were still near the beginning of the line and we chatted across the rope. When they started to move, they asked me if I wanted to join them for a photo with Marie. I agreed and this gave us plenty of opportunity to chat. Once we had taken some photos with Marie, it was time to say goodbye.

I had a quick look at some of the shops on Main Street, but did not buy anything. I then picked up my bags from left luggage and headed towards the station. I took the last photos and then stopped at one of the kiosks at Disney Village to get some macaroons. Then I headed for the train.

Graham had emailed me a photo of a meeting spot at the RER station at Chatelet Les Halles. This looked easy enough to find. I was just going to call him when I got there when he came the other way. We went up to the street level and found something to eat. It was still relatively early so we were somewhat limited in options. However, we came across something that fit the bill perfectly, a Creperie. We both decided on the same thing: a crepe filled with minced beef, bacon, onions and a fired egg. I was very surprised that the crepe was made with wholegrain flour. It was utterly delicious though. Graham had a beer with his and I washed mine down with an Orangina. Once we had finished, we headed back to the RER. On the way, Graham pointed out a church that he thinks is well worth a visit.

We did not have to wait long for our train, but this was pretty busy. Still, we managed to get a seat each. The journey out to the airport is not exactly scenic, but it did not take us long to get there. We decided to check in at the self-service kiosks near the station so that we did not have to do this in the morning. Then we headed outside to the shuttle bus station. This time we were in luck. Pretty much as soon as we got to the shuttle stop, the bus pulled in. I had received an email with our room number and access code earlier in the day. We were on the same floor again, but on the opposite side of the building. It was still relatively early so we had a play with our gadgets for a while before getting an early night.

The fruit carvings are gorgeous! Did he do those while people watched? I'm amazed at the detail.

Really love all the character eggs. Captain Hook and Smee are adorable.

When you said Alice was shivering I thought 'I hope she had a coat on' and was glad to see she did.

How nice to catch your friends for a little bit.

The parades are totally unlike anything I've seen here, I really enjoyed seeing them.

Thank you for sharing this trip, what a fantastic getaway :)

I love all the spring decorations...sorry the weather was so cold.

I miss Orangina!

Jill in CO

The fruit carvings are gorgeous! Did he do those while people watched? I'm amazed at the detail.

While I was watching, he was doing carvings of flowers and initials in apples for people to take away.

Captain Hook and Smee are adorable.

I thought they were really well done.

When you said Alice was shivering I thought 'I hope she had a coat on' and was glad to see she did.

They do have winter costumes, but they are still not particularly warm and it was freezing that day.

The parades are totally unlike anything I've seen here, I really enjoyed seeing them.

That is something that Disneyland Paris does well. I wish they still had their evening parade. This was so neat.

I love all the spring decorations

I do, too.

sorry the weather was so cold.

I hope it will be more spring-like on Monday. I could not believe my eyes this morning when I went to work and it was snowing heavily.

I miss Orangina!

We can get Orangina in the UK, too, but it does not taste quite the same.

Corinna

Day 5

We had an early start that morning as we had early flights out and both of us were due to head from our respective airports straight to work. Things went very smoothly. We got up, had a quick shower and got ready. We put the last odds and ends in our luggage and then we headed out. We got lucky; the previous shuttle was running a little late and pulled in just as we were getting to the bus stop. It did not take us long to get to the airport. As we already had our boarding passes, we could go straight through security. Passport control and security did not take long at all. Soon we were in the departure lounge.

We spotted that our gates were at the opposite ends to the airport. Graham’s flight was due to leave 30 minutes after mine so he decided to come with me and keep me company. My gate was the same one we left from in November. We found ourselves some seats and relaxed for a bit. When my flight was called for boarding, we said goodbye and Graham headed for his gate.

Boarding was a much smoother operation than it had been in Manchester and the flight was not completely full. We left pretty much on time and the flight was eventless. At some stage we were served a croissant and some tea or coffee. I had a coffee. By the time I had finished my breakfast, we were over the UK. When we got closer to Manchester, we had to circle for a bit. The hills around Manchester were all covered with snow, which looked so pretty. I found out afterwards that it had been a good call to leave Thursday night. Friday morning it had been snowing heavily in Manchester and there had been extensive flight cancellations and delays.

Once we had landed, it did not take long to get off the plane. I headed for passport control and they were really pushing the e-gates for people travelling without children. The line for those looked impressive, but moved very quickly. Once I was through passport control, I headed for the exit. I found myself a taxi and headed straight to work. I managed to get there about half an hour before my shift started.

That must have been a really early morning if you had to be at work as well.

Sounds like smooth travels though. How long is the flight?

I can't believe that you go from a weekend trip straight to work. I could never do that!

Paris looks incredibly cold at that time of year, so June or July would be a much better time for us to visit as we would freeze our little patooties off! I'm glad you are going so often, you are helping me get an idea of what Disneyland Paris is like. Though we want to go in a little over a year, I am afraid to start planning because every trip we go on Fran gets upset that "we are taking too many trips". But she is having a blast on this one, so I want to plan another, but it's hard to figure out what to do!

I hope you are having a blast. According to FB it looks like it!

Easter eggs and carvings, a colourful parade and meeting with friends. What a wonderful day!

That's a lot of snow!!!!

That must have been a really early morning if you had to be at work as well.

It was, but I often have to get up around that time because I work shifts.

Sounds like smooth travels though.

Everything worked like clockwork.

How long is the flight?

If all goes according to plan, 50 minutes.

I can't believe that you go from a weekend trip straight to work.

I often end up doing this. Actually, I think every trip that is featured in this trip report was like this.

Paris looks incredibly cold at that time of year, so June or July would be a much better time for us to visit as we would freeze our little patooties off!

It is. Actually, the best time to travel is probably May and June or September. July and August can be very hot.

I'm glad you are going so often, you are helping me get an idea of what Disneyland Paris is like.

I am rather valuing my short trips. I am actually wondering if I can sneak another one in between now and September.

But she is having a blast on this one, so I want to plan another, but it's hard to figure out what to do!

I am glad she enjoyed it.

I hope you are having a blast. According to FB it looks like it!

It was absolutely amazing. I am still playing catch up, but I am hoping that by the weekend I am all caught up and in a position to get the trip report started.

Easter eggs and carvings, a colourful parade and meeting with friends. What a wonderful day!

It was.

That's a lot of snow!!!!

Especially by our standards. We rarely get snow here.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter