A Solo Trip Poll

How many nights would go for on a solo trip to Disneyland?

• 3 nights

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • 4 nights

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • 5 nights

Votes: 20 29.9%

• Total voters
If you want to do sit down meals and shows, consider the most days you can budget. 5 would be ideal -- then you would have plenty of time for all shows, character meals and other TS meals, relaxing by the pool or some spa time, people watching, live music and/or dancing (Royal Swing Ball on Saturday nights doesn't require a partner -- just let us know you're coming!), shopping, rides and re-rides, etc. On site is great, but off site can work really well at DLR. There are so many convenient, affordable, safe hotels near the parks that can save you a lot of money. If that savings translates into more park days, that might be something to consider. This recent thread has very good information: Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You.

I just got done with my first solo trip! It was absolutely fantastic. I did 3 days, 4 nights and I found it to be the right amount of time before I started missing being with a travel buddy. Hope you have an amazing time!
That’s awesome! Did you stay on or off site?

3 days is plenty when you are solo. You don't realize how much time you spend waiting for other people or discussing what to do next with your group until you go solo. I couldn't believe how much I got done when I was alone in 2 days.
I think you’re right. Three Days is starting to sound like a good amount of time.

Would you want to do any relaxing in between park time? If I were to do a solo trip I think I'd like to have some down time to sit by the pool and relax and just enjoy being solo compared to having to manage the entire family like I normally do. I also think I'd like to do stuff in the parks that we never do - like see certain shows, shop more, take in the little details that get missed when you are rushing to GOTG to use our fast passes before they run out...so for me I would book 4 4 nights.

Would you want to do any relaxing in between park time? If I were to do a solo trip I think I'd like to have some down time to sit by the pool and relax and just enjoy being solo compared to having to manage the entire family like I normally do. I also think I'd like to do stuff in the parks that we never do - like see certain shows, shop more, take in the little details that get missed when you are rushing to GOTG to use our fast passes before they run out...so for me I would book 4 4 nights.

It will depend on the weather in late winter whether or not I will have pool time. I would love if it’s sunny enough to do that.
I also want to do open to close at least once as my daughter always wants/needs breaks. I’d like to do one full day just for the heck of it because it will be an option for once! Plus shorter days then I’m used to during the summer. All those little details you mention!

I did a somewhat solo trip March last year during the Natural West convention. I went with 2 colleagues but did Disneyland solo. Convention was Wednesday to Sunday. Bought 3 day park hopper and used it on Tuesday (arrival day), Friday night and Saturday morning (Magic Morning). Didn't have a full day of park but got enough done to enjoy myself. If it was a quick solo trip, I would stay 3 nights with 3 days Park Hopper ticket. On Arrival day, I would do DL and get on the non busy rides. On Magic Morning, I would use it on DL for the MM then do DCA the rest of the day. On the other day, I would do DL full time.

I do 4 nights because I get the 4-day military Salute tickets... Otherwise, when my family was younger, solo trips were 2 or 3 nights with 3 days in the park.

FWIW, I do solo trips all the time -- like once a week. I always have a blast. Anyone can use single-rider lines but they were really made for solo trippers. Use them! :-).

I know, I love your weekly reports!!
I’ll have to memorize all the single rider spots, that’s for sure. I’m super excited for this! Now I have wait...

OP: If this is your first solo trip anywhere, I would probably go with 4 nights to start. I have not done DL yet, just here preplanning for a trip or two next year, but I have done WDW solo a few times plus I have done some other solo trips. I found that the first solo trip I over estimated by 1-2 days since I was a bit off since I was traveling by myself. Now, I tend to cut one night off from the longest I think I would stay at new places unless there is a set schedule that last day, such as a special event or conference.

Right now, I am hoping to take my special needs sister in the early parts of 2019 and then do a solo D23 trip in August 2019.

Honestly, when I go alone, I'm happy with 2-3 days because I can get what I want done a lot faster without others with me. The dream would be longer, but it's not necessary.

I would normally say 3 days but as I'm doing a solo 5 day trip I chose 5. I don't anticipate getting bored as I have 2 tours lined up, tea at Disneyland Hotel and a couple of dining packages. Plus I want to see the parade & fireworks and all the shows plus some characters.

I would normally say 3 days but as I'm doing a solo 5 day trip I chose 5. I don't anticipate getting bored as I have 2 tours lined up, tea at Disneyland Hotel and a couple of dining packages. Plus I want to see the parade & fireworks and all the shows plus some characters.

I was thinking about doing a tour too. I've always wanted to.

I was thinking about doing a tour too. I've always wanted to.

If you plan on doing one (or even two!) tours, then try to plan for more days. Tours take up a big block of time, and sometimes we even need some down time afterward. TS meals, shows, special reserved things (e.g. afternoon tea, wine pairing or Chef's Counter at NR, character meals, etc.), spa time, etc. all take up larger blocks of time (especially if you want to get dressed up beforehand and then change afterward to go back into the parks). Having more days allows for these special things and won't cut into your park time.
Also, I forgot to ask, is this a one time only trip or do you plan to return to DLR at some point in the future? If this is a one time dream trip, then plan for the most days that you can manage. You won't have any trouble finding things to fill any extra time (if any -- we never seem to find any, and we visit DLR often!). If you think you'll be back for a future visit, solo or with family/friends, then maybe you could save some things to do on your next trip.

I’m debating getting an AP (or - gasp - the premier passport) and going on one solo trip (probably fall 2019) and one with my bf (spring 2019). If I get the Passport, I might just go on a long solo trip to DL and two other trips to WDW.

For my solo trip, I’d still love at least four days in DL. I haven’t been in 17 years! And I didn’t ride roller coasters then.

Thank you for the thread! Love the responses.

If you plan on doing one (or even two!) tours, then try to plan for more days. Tours take up a big block of time, and sometimes we even need some down time afterward. TS meals, shows, special reserved things (e.g. afternoon tea, wine pairing or Chef's Counter at NR, character meals, etc.), spa time, etc. all take up larger blocks of time (especially if you want to get dressed up beforehand and then change afterward to go back into the parks). Having more days allows for these special things and won't cut into your park time.
Also, I forgot to ask, is this a one time only trip or do you plan to return to DLR at some point in the future? If this is a one time dream trip, then plan for the most days that you can manage. You won't have any trouble finding things to fill any extra time (if any -- we never seem to find any, and we visit DLR often!). If you think you'll be back for a future visit, solo or with family/friends, then maybe you could save some things to do on your next trip.

Good point about the time tours will take eating into my ‘me’ time! I’ll have to factor that in. Thank you!

I’m debating getting an AP (or - gasp - the premier passport) and going on one solo trip (probably fall 2019) and one with my bf (spring 2019). If I get the Passport, I might just go on a long solo trip to DL and two other trips to WDW.

For my solo trip, I’d still love at least four days in DL. I haven’t been in 17 years! And I didn’t ride roller coasters then.

Thank you for the thread! Love the responses.

What lovely trip ideas! I hope you get to do that! WDW is on my bucket list too. I haven’t been since 83! That I want to do with my daughter though. Some day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter