A shark may have gotten a stingray pregnant at a NC aquarium

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...gray-pregnancy-shark-nc-aquarium/72551486007/

One North Carolina aquarium is looking to solve the mystery of a female stingray's solo pregnancy that has sparked confusion.

The Aquarium and Shark Lab by Team Ecco is located in Hendersonville, 103 miles west of Charlotte. Staff there say the female stingray is expecting pups but there's one problem. The aquarium has no male stingrays.

So how could the female stingray become pregnant without a male mate?

There are two possible explanations for the rare pregnancy.

Research has shown that animals, especially stingrays, have the ability to asexually reproduce when there is a lack of reproduction for that species.

"First, you should know that parthenogenesis is asexual reproduction of an organism in which a female produces an embryo without a male present to fertilize the egg," wrote Dr. April Smith, executive director the North Carolina Science Trail in a blog post. "This means the offspring are, typically, all female, and this occurs in a situation where there are no males present (i.e., zoo/aquarium usually, or perhaps a secluded natural environment like the deep sea). It’s a survival mechanism that allows for the preservation of a species."

The Hendersonville aquarium tells FOX Carolina they were afraid their female stingray named “Charlotte” had cancer when she began to swell.

In order to confirm or deny their suspicions, an ultrasound was conducted. The results revealed the multiple growths within her body were later proven to be eggs.

The aquarium found bite marks on Charlotte, a common sign that are left on mating sharks.

In July 2023, two young white-spot bamboo sharks were moved into Charlotte's tank.

“We have definitive video of the most current ultrasound showing two if not three pups,” Team Ecco told FOX Carolina. “DNA will need to be done after the pups’ birth – unless we have visual cues about a mixed breed.”

Charlotte is expecting to give birth soon, the aquarium confirms.

Poor Charlotte! As if a life of imprisonment isn't miserable enough, now she has to witness her offsprings in captivity as well.

Can someone safely explain how this type of thing can happen?

I mean the "no male is present" thing. Wouldn't that kinda be a requirement?

I saw a blurb about this on the news and found it pretty fascinating. I hope Charlotte and the babies are OK and they do a follow-up story.

Is there any truth to the the rumor that they plan on changing her name to Mary?
Haven't they determined that it was an immaculate conception? So the rumor may be true

Reactions: GAN
COMING UP ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF LAUREN LAKE'S PATERNITY COURT.................................................photo.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter