A reminder for anyone who flies...

Hmm interesting because when my husband travels for work which is frequently enough he never checks a bag. He travels with his carry on and backpack. He was gone a Monday-Friday last month same carry on and backpack. And this was the case even when he was needing business clothes which he still takes one to two for meetings. I have no doubt that different professions have different needs but he's able to get steel toed work boots, hard hat, safety vest, etc without checking a bag.
I flew into MCO on 10/5 and flew out on 10/10 with 66 pounds of umpiring gear split between my checked bag and my carryon. I could have probably dropped 10-15 pounds of stuff if I had needed to, but I'm not getting the 50lbs of gear I have to have with me in a carryon. If I'm going for a three day weekend tournament that I know the uniform for ahead of time I can do it.

We never check bags when we go to WDW, so we only do carryons. Thankfully DVC rooms have a washer/dryer. We pack enough clothes for 4 days or so and do laundry. Throw a load in when we return from the day and put it in the dryer when we go to sleep.

Another tip... if it looks like your connection will be tight, ask at a service desk if they can move your party further forward on the plane (you can look at a seat map online or through the airline app to see if seats are available). Don't worry if they're "pay" seats. I got moved from row 34 (of 35) to row 10 (an "extra comfort" seat) for no charge (normally $35).
This tip is incredibly useful. It can be difficult if you're flying on a full flight or with a large group, but most major airlines now block off what feels like the first half of the plane for those with status or as an upcharge. Being in the back of the plane versus the front makes a huge difference in deplaning. Asking could save you from sprinting across the airport to make your connection 😂

On the bag issue, I've only had delayed luggage when I've had connections less than 1.5 hours on international routes, but my rule is I generally won't check a bag unless my connection is 1.5 hours or greater (or I'm flying direct). Nothing is foolproof, however, and I may be eating my words this weekend.

I also have started primarily flying one airline, not because of loyalty to the airline but because I finally understand how to navigate their customer service (and know where their customer service outposts are at my typical layover airports) after traveling one of their routes frequently during a move. It's been helpful not just for changing seats but for being able to be confirmed on another flight when my aircraft have had "mechanical delays."

I flew into MCO on 10/5 and flew out on 10/10 with 66 pounds of umpiring gear split between my checked bag and my carryon. I could have probably dropped 10-15 pounds of stuff if I had needed to, but I'm not getting the 50lbs of gear I have to have with me in a carryon. If I'm going for a three day weekend tournament that I know the uniform for ahead of time I can do it.
Well you can get it in a carryon if it fits ;) 50lbs is usually the limit for carry ons for airlines (personal item not counted in that limit it may have its own limit depending on the airline)

That said clearly your issue isn't that you travel for work and can't make do with a carry on. Yours is the exact items you have. That is an extremely specific thing such that I'm sure you could understand that when someone suggests "just do carry on" they aren't talking about you because your items are unique enough. It is more the norm than anything that work travel is done without checked luggage as time is more important than anything and so is ease. Thus when you commented that you couldn't make do I responded the way I did. True my husband doesn't have umpire gear but a hard hat and size 13 steel toed boots do take up space :) He'll never check a bag if traveling for work and he can make do without it, clearly you can't make do with just a carry on bag so the advice would fall on not applicable to you. I sure wouldn't want to lug that much umpire gear for sure.

Lot of families fly into MCO so carry on only doesn’t work.

Back in April we had to take the last few cars available (one luggage too small, so that went under the kids feet) after waiting 4+ hours. We had to drive with the kids without car seats/booster and go to a Walmart and buy them in addition to car chargers and groceries. We had a 20+ hour drive back so stopped in Georgia overnight; hotels were sold out so we only had 1 king bed after calling for over an hour at midnight (no rollaway available) for 5 people. Kids were mostly ok except the last 4 hours (exhausted/uncomfortable sitting in the car).

People who checking in bags (airlines knew no one was flying but kept taking bags) were still trying to track down bags 11 hours later; later found some people didn’t get their bags for 5 days (ridiculous if your medication/equipment is in the bags).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/southwest-cancelled-our-flight-with-less-than-12-hours-😡.3878174/

Back in April we had to take the last few cars available (one luggage too small, so that went under the kids feet) after waiting 4+ hours. We had to drive with the kids without car seats/booster and go to a Walmart and buy them in addition to car chargers and groceries. We had a 20+ hour drive back so stopped in Georgia overnight; hotels were sold out so we only had 1 king bed after calling for over an hour at midnight (no rollaway available) for 5 people. Kids were mostly ok except the last 4 hours (exhausted/uncomfortable sitting in the car).

People who checking in bags (airlines knew no one was flying but kept taking bags) were still trying to track down bags 11 hours later; later found some people didn’t get their bags for 5 days (ridiculous if your medication/equipment is in the bags).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/southwest-cancelled-our-flight-with-less-than-12-hours-😡.3878174/
This was a particularly rough time. Back in Feb SWA started adjusting flights in a rolling month basis that they have never done before on a mass scale, you can go to the dedicated SWA thread for that. It appears to have calmed down but it was a harsh spring for flights and carried on through summer.

As far as medication never ever pack that in checked bag and if it's in your carry on your better bet is to move it to your personal item in case your carry on needs to be gate checked. That is never on the airlines. It is irresponsible to pack medication you need in something that will not be with you. And people who travel with medication know better than to do that but some still do it.

I've done it a dozen airports alone with a kid. My friend just came alone and brought her two kids <5 and met us at MCO with only carry-ons.

People pack too much stuff. Sure, if you are playing hockey or building a house when you get there, but this is a Disney board, We are schlumping around a theme park in a few clothes with easy access to anything in Florida.

I've done it a dozen airports alone with a kid. My friend just brought her two kids <5 and met us at MCO with only carry-ons.

People pack too much stuff. Sure, if you are playing hockey or building a house when you get there, but this is a Disney board, We are schlumping around a theme park in a few clothes with easy access to anything in Florida.
If you’re only staying for a few days sure. We usually stay 7 days so there is no way we can pack everything into carry ons. We do use garden grocers for diaper wipes snack and breakfast supplies.

I know im in the minority but I put as little as possible in my carry one and pack as much as I can in my checked bag. I’d rather scramble for a few things if needed (and I’ve had to a few times) than carry around extra stuff through the airport every time.

I know im in the minority but I put as little as possible in my carry one and pack as much as I can in my checked bag. I’d rather scramble for a few things if needed (and I’ve had to a few times) than carry around extra stuff through the airport every time.
Yup, you have to do what works for you. I do normally do just carry-on for work (I'm generally gone only a week and generally in warm climates). However, when I travel home, I always check luggage (mainly to be able to stock up on things to bring back) and am always enjoy the freedom on not wheeling around my carry-on.

I think that also depends on the type of traveler. We would bring a carry on and personal item regardless it doesn't free up arm space for us because you really should be packing at least a day or two worth of items in them. It's more hassle having a larger suitcase than a carry on and personal item not just because of the size, the weight and the bulk of it. When we check luggage we often check 1 and share it between the two of us.

We normally check a bag when it's just not realistic for us to do a carry on only. That was our WDW/USO trip in May, that will be our Mexico trip next April and our cruise next July because carry on only isn't as workable. However with all the luggage stuff this year we are likely going to be purchasing a Tile or similar device as an added measure especially with our cruise flying through Paris and Heathrow (this one especially has been all over the news for luggage issues).

But Vegas? Even being there 7 days we did not check a bag, being there 3-4 days we don't check a bag. The times I have visited my husband the times he was on site (so TX, CA, MD) I did not check a bag.

My carry on and personal item are also less than the weight of 1 checked bag. I agree sometimes it's a fuss with airports that are seemingly walking forever but I've run into airports where it's a hike to get to the checked luggage and less so for rental car services. While it won't be this way once our new airport opens KCI is probably the single best example of why carry on only works the best. If you're looking to get to the economy parking or Parking Spot once you exit the plane and get through the security door open you just walk right out to one of the doors and catch a bus (or uber/lyft). The luggage carousels presently are not too too far from the gates but it's super easy it just walk out the first doors you see. When the new airport opens this will change as departures will be on one floor and arrivals on another.

my glasses, saline solution (I wear contacts)
This is good advice for any contact wearer. I always have my glasses and a contact case with fresh solution in it in my purse or carry on when I travel. Even when traveling by car, it's in a spot that is easy to access vs. buried deep in my suitcase in the cargo area of the car. Never know when there's going to be a delay...or in my case, when my eyes are going to decide they have had enough with the contacts for the day.

later found some people didn’t get their bags for 5 days (ridiculous if your medication/equipment is in the bags).
NEVER put anything in checked luggage that you will NEED (ie: medication/equipment) within the first 24-36 hours. Sorry, that's just not being smart.

Sure, if you are playing hockey or building a house when you get there, but this is a Disney board, We are schlumping around a theme park in a few clothes with easy access to anything in Florida.
Schlumping around a theme park in the heat of the summer can get you as sweaty and dirty as building a house/playing a sport. If you're going somewhere colder, sweatshirts, long sleeve T's, and long pants take up a LOT of room. Even if I wear a sweatshirt on the plane, if I'm going somewhere for 5-7 days, I'll want a 2nd sweatshirt.

Schlumping around a theme park in the heat of the summer can get you as sweaty and dirty as building a house/playing a sport. If you're going somewhere colder, sweatshirts, long sleeve T's, and long pants take up a LOT of room. Even if I wear a sweatshirt on the plane, if I'm going somewhere for 5-7 days, I'll want a 2nd sweatshirt.
So you do laundry. I'd much rather do a load of laundry than wait an hour at MCO or worse.

This is good advice for any contact wearer. I always have my glasses and a contact case with fresh solution in it in my purse or carry on when I travel. Even when traveling by car, it's in a spot that is easy to access vs. buried deep in my suitcase in the cargo area of the car. Never know when there's going to be a delay...or in my case, when my eyes are going to decide they have had enough with the contacts for the day.

I carry this with me on a daily basis so it's in my purse/personal item/crossbody bag when I travel. Sometimes I doze off on the plane or the air is smacking me in my face and makes my contacts cloudy or dry so it's always necessary to have. I also carry my glasses in case my contacts just want to act up. I also carry an extra set of contacts with me and an additional box in my carry on. There is nothing worse than not being able to see.

So you do laundry. I'd much rather do a load of laundry than wait an hour at MCO or worse.
I didn't really have time for laundry and I suspect most don't when on a theme park vacation. Certainly some people do laundry at Disney, they have facilities there but generally you're not devoting time to wash and dry.

I actually do plan on potentially doing laundry while on our cruise but 1) it's completely free 2) most just pay to send their clothes off and I know the room is seldom used 3) I know I will have down time even with everyday being a port day with excursions but I only plan if I do it for my underwear, socks and pjs so it would save just a bit of space. My husband will be using irons and ironing boards which are located there (unless he asks the cabin host to bring us one which they likely would on this cruise line) so we know we'll be in that space but again most would just send their stuff off for pressing. But on our Mexico trip I'm not sure they have laundry facilities but I don't think I would be doing it there even if they did.

I didn't really have time for laundry and I suspect most don't when on a theme park vacation. Certainly some people do laundry at Disney, they have facilities there but generally you're not devoting time to wash and dry.
I just throw it in during pool day/afternoon. Most (maybe all?) Disney resorts have laundry. Many are near the pools. I'd rather do that than wait at MCO or lose luggage. Those are lessons learned the hard way.

Tell a 16 year old girl that she has to wear the same outfit (particularly a shirt) twice on a 6-7 day trip. :rotfl:

We go for 9-10 days, check bags and still do laundry. I do them during our pool time since we take midday breaks most days or do pool time in the morning before heading to a park.

As far as medication never ever pack that in checked bag and if it's in your carry on your better bet is to move it to your personal item in case your carry on needs to be gate checked. That is never on the airlines. It is irresponsible to pack medication you need in something that will not be with you. And people who travel with medication know better than to do that but some still do it.
During the summer airports in Europe had luggage sitting for almost a week, waiting to get sorted.

Some pax said they had 3 days of meds in their carryon and checked the rest. Good idea to carry all your meds. Pill bottles take a lot of space. You can buy 2" by 1" zip lock bags. Either one med per bag or have an am and pm bag, one for each day. Pack an extra 3《or more) days just in case. A bag of Tylenol and any other drugs you might need

During the summer airports in Europe had luggage sitting for almost a week, waiting to get sorted.
Irony is that I've flown into/out of Europe many times this summer with no problem (with luggage or super long lines - other than one pretty long security line at Heathrow) whereas in December 2019 (before the pandemic), Air France left my suitcase in Paris when I was connecting through there on my way back to Europe and then KLM left my luggage in Amsterdam when I was connecting through there in both directions when I went home for the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter