A Rant

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
Why ask for tips if none will be taken??! A dear friend has watched me plan 20 WDW trips over the years and asked me to plan her first trip ever with her husband and daughter, age 7. So far, they have rejected everything I've told them: they plan to stay in an off-site condo, sleep in, and not buy Genie+. They are allotting one day for each park, and want to see the parades and fireworks in addition to experiencing most of the major attractions. They assure me that they are really just going for the "magic of the experience." I can't get them to understand that there will be very little magic to 2+ hour waits and definitely missing most of what they've told me they want to see. I think I'm going to draw up two sets of touring plans, one for getting there at opening and having Genie + vs. another with their parameters. At least that way they can't come back complaining that it was a waste of time and money or blaming me for their poor experience. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Last edited:
Why ask for tips if none will be taken??! A dear friend has watched me plan 20 WDW trips over the years and asked me to plan her first trip ever with her husband and daughter, age 7. So far, they have rejected everything I've told them: they plan to stay in an off-site condo, sleep in, and not buy Genie+. They are allotting one day for each park, and want to see the parades and fireworks in addition to experiencing most of the major attractions. They assure me that they are really just going for the "magic of the experience." I can't get them to understand that there will be very little magic to 2+ hour waits and definitely missing most of what they've told me they want to see. I think I'm going to draw up two sets of touring plans, one for getting there at opening and having Genie + vs. another with their parameters. At least that way they can't come back complaining that it was a waste of time and money or blaming me for their poor experience. Thanks for listening to my rant.
You’re very generous. I’d give them the plan that’ll give them the chances to do what they told you they wanted to do and then let the chips fall where they may. Either they follow your plan or learn the hard way…

They might also have a different budget then you, so they have to stay someplace more economical and likely doesn't include paying for Genie. Everyone has a different idea how to enjoy Disney. Someone who has never been there likely won't know what they enjoy best until they experience it for the first time. We have stayed both @ Disney over the years and other times off-site and enjoyed both for different reasons. We like to relax and enjoy our time on Disney trips. Have NEVER gotten up at the crack of dawn and don't view park days as a constant race from one ride to the next. Some enjoy that, but we don't.

Disney parks are HUGE, involve LOTS of walking and crowds so no amount of advance planning is going to change that. Useful advice to first-timers would be more along the lines of where things are on the property and how to best get around.

Last edited:

with all due respect, but why do you worry so much if they are going to follow your plans? The only thing you can do is to offer some advice (which you did). If they don't want to follow your advice, just let it go.

Stop wasting your time, for your own sanity. I have been on your situation before, I have been asked for input, I have given input which have been ignored. I just shrug my shoulders, stop planning, and move on. good luck

Sounds like they didn't need your help afterall, since they know what they want to do. :rolleyes2

We had family members do something similar, although they didn't specifically solicit us to plan their trip. They asked if we had any tips for their trip to Magic Kingdom. Gave them a nice comprehensive list/descriptions of what rides their kid would be likely to enjoy at her (young) age.

They ended up riding a couple rides (and not the ones we recommended), and came away thinking it was a "boring" park. No doubt they slept in late, and didn't have much time to spend in the park anyways.

Some people can't be helped.

No need to elevate your blood pressure! It's clearly a friend, they've asked for your advice, you've given it, and they'll take some of it and reject some of it. That's way beyond your control. Perhaps they'll ask for more suggestions, or perhaps they'll just do the trip their own way. Either way, you shouldn't let it get you upset. You can only offer your experience and recommendations. After that, it's up to them. And if things don't go smoothly for them, there's certainly nothing for you to be blamed for!! Next thing you should do is plan the next trip YOU will be taking!!

Did they ask for a plan or tips? Two different things so maybe one of you misunderstood. Personally, I'd never ever never ever plan someone else's vacation for them. Tips, yep, I can do that. You gave your plan, they can use it or not, I wouldn't go any further other than to maybe point them to some videos that might help.

I will say, we are the just go and enjoy the magic type people not the run from ride to ride and try to do it all. You can't so why try. We don't buy Genie+, we do stay on site but only because I like the transportation. We rarely rope drop or use the evening hours when we are staying at a deluxe. Everyone has their own idea on how to enjoy the place.

My guess is that you can draw up all the plans you want, but they won't be following and they will come home and lay blame on you for their bad time. We've seen that movie and know how it ends.

I would just be saying "Looks like you all are set with your hotel and schedule ... and ready for magic. Have a great trip!" And I would not be giving them any touring plans.

Perhaps they listened closely to your advice and decided that it didn’t sound like a vacation they would care for. And that’s okay. Paying premium to stay on site and commando style park touring isn’t for everyone.

Maybe they do it their way and still have a good time. Maybe they do it their way and find out that Disney isn’t for them. That’s okay too. There is no guarantee they would have enjoyed the vacation you advised them to have either. Different people like different things.

I had close friends ask me for advice and tips which they completely rejected. Instead of staying onsite in a Disney or Universal property, they rented a condo for a week with its own mini waterslides and a lazy river. They never ever rope dropped even once. They made one ADR then didn't show up and ate the cancellation fee. They rented a car and drove to WDW parks and to Universal. They ate off property at restaurants that appealed more to them and at a better price. They had a great time. They went into the vacation knowing they wouldn't be immersed in Disney or Universal but instead built their own adventure. No doubt they had some poor experiences that could have been avoided if they followed my advice. But they also had their own different and good experiences. Sometimes friends just want to feel like they've done their due diligence by asking for help. Then they do the opposite because it makes sense to them at the time or a spouse just gets bloody minded. They probably should never have asked for my advice and I should never have put so much care and effort into it. I did too much and gave too much advice which likely turned them off. Their attitude was 'its a vacation, not a job. That's too much work." When they returned, I was happy for their good times and sympathized with the bad. Sometimes friends like kids have to learn from their mistakes. And sometimes they teach us old dogs a thing or two. :confused3

I had some relatives who were going on to WDW for their honeymoon. I offered a few tips, but the bride to be told me that she knew what she was doing because she had been to Disneyland as a kid. Ummm, alrighty then. Stayed offsite, rented a car, made no dining reservations. Their honeymoon was ok from what I hear, but was not that great. She got horribly sunburned the first day (super fair skinned and apparently did not think she needed sunscreen). They were able to get a walk up at a restaurant neither particularly enjoyed. Arrived late and had trouble getting fastpasses or waited in very long lines...

I just shook my head when I heard about it when they got back. When other relatives heard later that they did not want any tips or ideas from me, they were all appalled and said they would come to me if they were ever to head to WDW.

I can't really answer your first question for sure, but it's possible your friend felt that they should ask you for tips since you're a WDW expert, even though they had no intention of taking any of these tips.

Really, though, there's tons of info out there about how to navigate WDW. Your friend could easily do the necessary research without asking you anything. They've decided on the trip you've described and maybe it'll work out fine for them. There are people waiting in 2+-hour-long standby lines all the time, so it's not like no one does it.

Therefore, I wouldn't draw up plans for them. They've already made their decision, and I hope they have a good time. After all, that's what a trip to WDW is for--a good time.

My neighbors are fly by the seat of the pants type people.

They know I am a treasure trove of Disney knowledge and they did ask me a few questions before going. We kind of spoke in a few general terms with some specific recommendations.

They didn't do anything I suggested. They made lodging reservations maybe a week and a half in advance. They and their 2 kids spent a week there with, except for lodging, made NO plans in advance.

After coming back they were beside themselves with the great time they had and super impressed with everything WDW.

Not everyone plans like people here do.

And, I wasn't even holding an 'I told you so' at the ready.

Being known as The Disney Person to your friends, family, relatives, co-workers, etc. I think everyone here can relate to. But I learned a long time ago not to do too much for these folks even if they ask. I keep the tips very general, "you won't be able to see and do everything, so try to pick 3 things in each park you're visiting that you would like to try. stay fed and hydrated and take breaks" type of stuff. I only give detailed strategy if they ask, and even then I ask them if their priority is getting as much done as possible with minimal lines or if they just want to go and vibe and don't mind waiting. Most people who aren't diehards honestly do fall into the latter camp. Some of them even love the puffy pizza. Who am I to tell them no.

IF someone asks for assistance.............tips are good, plans are not.

We have never found Disney to take weeks of planning or it has to turn into a 2nd job with spreadsheet and minute-by-minute plans of where to walk at a park. Just not how we choose to vacation. Everyone has their own idea how to enjoy Disney. There is no right/wrong way to do that.

they plan to stay in an off-site condo, sleep in, and not buy Genie+
Sounds like $$$ is factor. Some people don't want to tell their friends their suggestions are more expensive then they want to spend.
PP are right, there is a difference between offering a few tips and planning a vacation.

A tip pick one ride with long lines. Get in line a little bit before park closing. Posted wait times are way off.

I had the same thing happen. But I got to sit back and laugh when they did not listen and had a terrible time. I advised them to take a break in the afternoon and pick a table service place to sit and rest a spell while they ate. NOPE Well next day they felt like crap because of the heat and spent the day in the hotel room. Wasted a park ticket because they and the kids did not go to the park. I had planned to surprise them and show up for the one and only lunch reservation they made and then I decided not to. Glad I listened and stayed home. You tell them all this stuff because you have experience and they want nothing to do with what you say so they live and learn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter