A q for the solo travellers!

HFJohnson

DIS Veteran
It doesn't look like we'll be going to DLP as a family this year as both DH and DD aren't that bothered. However, we bought annual passes during our last trip as it worked out cheaper so I'm very tempted to book a little solo trip just for me!

However, most people who haven't been to DLP and some of those that have wouldn't understand why a grown woman would want to go to DLP by themselves and I'm sure that if I told family, work colleagues etc where I was off to they'd think I was crazy!

So, those of you that have been alone - do you tell people where you're going? What do people say? I know it's daft but I think I might have to fabricate some sort of story for those people who just don't "get it"!

Actually, I just did a solo trip a couple of weeks ago. My wife didn't want to go this time, and I wanted to see the Christmas stuff. So of course my wife knew I was going, but I didn't tell my collegues. I just didn't want to explain myself why I wanted to go by myself. It is hard for some people to understand if you're not a huge Disney fan like myself. So I just told them I had a good weekend and did nothing special :)

I had a blast and was really glad I went. Also enjoyed the small Christmas parade and loved seeing the Jingle Bell Boys, that was an unexpected surprise (live music show in Videopolis).

I've told some people. Others that don't understand I haven't told, as we aren't that close anyway! I'm not bothered what people think really. :rotfl: I'm just too excited to worry about anyone's reactions. :banana:

Everyone I've told are just jealous and excited for me. Including my boss!

I would quite happily do a solo trip! I have 3 children and a husband but am planning a girly trip with my4 year old daughter just us as the boys are getting older now. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all and so cares what anyone else thinks :confused3

I have a work collegue who is in his 40s who does solo trips to DLP. He has a great time, away from the stress of work and away from his wife and kids for a few days. His kids are at Uni now and his wife is just not that interested in Disney to go with him, she prefers to spend a week on a beach.

Other guys in the office go away on fishing holidays and walking or cycling holidays on their own. But I think he has the best trips away :) then I would say that being a Disney fanatic too. :rotfl2:

We got him a Nightmare Before Christmas pasport cover for his last trip to DLP at halloween.

I'm doing a solo stop-over at HK Disneyland on my way back from Paris. I'm so excited I'll tell anyone who will listen :rotfl2: Some people are excited for me, some are a bit perplexed, but I really don't care what they think. Most people who are important to me already know I'm a complete Disney nut and aren't at all surprised.

I've done two solo trips to DLP and will be going on another one very soon! (Links to previous TRs below)

It's a lot of fun visiting the parks solo, you take everything at your own pace and do what you want when you want :)

I love my trips to WDW with DH but he's really not a fan of DLP so I happily head off alone on my annual trip, when people at work ask where I am going and I tell them they never ask "who are you going with?"

The only thing I do differently from trips with DH is that I always have a book in my bag that I can pull out when dining solo (I actually love doing this!)

Enjoy yourself and have fun - the only person that matters on these trips is you :)

Thanks for the replies. It's great to hear about other peoples' solo trips to DLP and my excitement about an upcoming trip will far outweigh my concerns about what other people think!

Linda - I love eating out by myself with just a book for company too. I'm thinking of investing in a kindle this year for that reason.

I had a solo trip in DLP last May and just before Christmas 1 week ago. Both were for meeting of online communities, but most of the time I was solo. I also went solo to Disneyland in California last June after a business trip.

I prefere being with friends, of course, but if you have only the chance to be solo, go ahead and you'll have a blast. Being solo will allow you to visit with your pace and do wathever you want, also the luxury of doing nothing if you just want to rest on a bench and watch people.

When alone you'll need less time to visit the parks: you don't have to wait for others needs, ride other people favorites that you dislike and you can often skip some queue with single rider line or when they call for 1 or 2 people to fill a train.

Just bring something to entertain yourself in the queues and at restaurants, they are boring being alone. A book, a videogame or a smartphone with Internet access. All of them is better :-)

Last week I had the guided tour of the Disneyland park and it was terrific. A great thing to do when alone.

Just tell them that you are off to Paris if you don't want to say Disney, it's not a fib and everyone will be really jealous ;)

Otherwise you know I basically live there and I'm passed caring what people think - Most folk have me down as the mad English woman anyway :rotfl:

I did a solo trip to DLR California earlier this year, and had so much fun going solo that I did a solo trip to DLP earlier this month (and have just booked Eurostar for another solo trip in March).

When I went - yes I told people where I was going (and that I was going on my own)! And generally didn't have too many problems, although most people now think I'm a complete Disney addict (which is true so a bit hard to deny!). There was also a couple of people who thought I was mad for going to Disneyland Paris without going into Paris proper, but oh well (especially since I have visited the city itself before).

Anyway, going solo is great:
- I get to go at a good time for me.
- I get to do things when I want (like deciding whether a 60 minute queue is worth the time, when to head over for the parade, when to have lunch/dinner (I'm willing to have meals at odd times to avoid the crowds), if I'm happy to ride BTM right after dinner, or if I want to go on a roller coaster 3 times in a row (especially if the queue is short!)...)
- EMH and staying late at the parks - for some reason I find it easier to get to EMH and stay late at the parks when I'm on my own (compared to previous visits with friends/family where I'd usually get to the parks an hour or later after opening!).
- Queues aren't a problem for me as I just read on my kindle/phone, and ditto meal times.

Of course the downside of going solo is not having someone to share the fun with, but for me it's a very easy choice between going solo or not going at all...

DH has suddenly announced this morning that he might like to come with me so I might not be going solo after all! Like me, he's interested in trying out an adults-only DLP trip so it looks like it's going to be cocktails round the lake for two!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter