• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A non-Harry Potter Lover's guide through HP

Kids are kids. You never picked up a stick when you were a kid and pretended it was a lightsaber? Picked up a piece of rope and went on adventures as Indiana Jones?

There is nothing wrong with being immersed in a world that you are passionate about. If it becomes too serious and that's all the kids focus on and other things start to falter, then it can be a problem. But kids have the best imagination capabilites in the world. Let them use it.

Besides that, I do give you much credit OP. At first I was afraid you were another person who viewed Harry Potter as an symbol of the occult and other rubbish.

I've met people who are so adamant against Harry Potter they avoid Universal Studios like the plague. They consider the Universal creative department to be Satanists because they placed one of the most beloved series in the world in a theme park for people to experience and enjoy. (Of course these are also the people who boycott Disney because of "Gay Days".)

But pardon me for my ranting.:lmao:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really am. Maybe one day it'll be a catalyst to pick-up that first book and see why we all love the series so much. :)

(And as for Hogwarts having stained glass, that is a refference to the third movie, The Prisoner of Azkaban. The history of Hogwarts does mention it has been around for thousands of years, but the castle is updated every hundred years or so. :goodvibes)

Thanks. It was a great time.

As far as how I raise my kids, I think that we have done a great job so far, and their imagination have been adequately utilized, believe me. They pretended to be all sorts of things, but as parents; playing witches, warlocks and wizards gave us enough pause to not consider Harry Potter until they were older and knew that all that witchcraft stuff was rubbish.

Now that they're older, they can read Harry Potter and watch the movies.

Just out of curiosity can I assume as a big Disney fan you don't allow your children to watch their movies or read the books most of them are based on?
Lots of magic, witches, wizards, flying children, potions, fairygodmothers etc.;)

Just out of curiosity can I assume as a big Disney fan you don't allow your children to watch their movies or read the books most of them are based on?
Lots of magic, witches, wizards, flying children, potions, fairygodmothers etc.;)

That's funny!:lmao:

But seriously, I have an acquaintance that lives near me whose child was exposed to the Wicca religion while trying to find white magic potions that could really work on the internet. She got the idea from other kids in her elementary school who are big fans of the books and some are dabbling in Wicca to this day.

That's why I wanted to wait until my kids were a little older before I allowed them to watch or read anything from Harry Potter. As a parent, I wanted them to be of an age where they can make more informed decisions regarding those sorts of choices.

In short, we wanted them to get the message that these movies are about Good conquering Evil, and that the "Magic" are just mechanisms rooted in fantasy to spark and maintain interest. In other words, the concentration should be about goodwill, justice and kindness, and not upon someone having supernatural ability.

The problem that I had when they were younger were that there were kids among their peer group that focused more on the supernatural abilities and manipulation of nature so we had to take a stand against that. That would have been the case if it would have been anything Disney, Dreamworks, etc.

Actually it wasn't meant to be funny.

As a retired teacher I'm fully aware that ANYTHING can be taken to extremes and even the most innocuous of stories or storylines can be turned into something sinister or other than the vein it was intended.

You are aware that some of the most famous Disney movies are based on some extremely dark stories? Not just talking about the Nightmare Before Christmas either.

Snow White, based on the Grimm's Fairytale story and their name suits their stories GRIM.
Alice in Wonderland? Migraine aura's inspired the size changes. Literature is full of examples which can be taken to extremes.

My comment was directed towards your comment that you are BIG Disney fans and the veiled jab at Harry Potter for basically having the same or similar content to many Disney based stories AND the rides at WDW and Disneyland that are BASED on those very movies and books. Agreed some HP isn't appropriate for certain ages but some of Disney is in that same area.

Cinderella? Talking mice and a fairygodmother, did you read that to your daughter at a young age?
Well anyway you get my point I'm sure.

Actually it wasn't meant to be funny.

As a retired teacher I'm fully aware that ANYTHING can be taken to extremes and even the most innocuous of stories or storylines can be turned into something sinister or other than the vein it was intended.

You are aware that some of the most famous Disney movies are based on some extremely dark stories? Not just talking about the Nightmare Before Christmas either.

Snow White, based on the Grimm's Fairytale story and their name suits their stories GRIM.
Alice in Wonderland? Migraine aura's inspired the size changes. Literature is full of examples which can be taken to extremes.

My comment was directed towards your comment that you are BIG Disney fans and the veiled jab at Harry Potter for basically having the same or similar content to many Disney based stories AND the rides at WDW and Disneyland that are BASED on those very movies and books. Agreed some HP isn't appropriate for certain ages but some of Disney is in that same area.

Cinderella? Talking mice and a fairygodmother, did you read that to your daughter at a young age?
Well anyway you get my point I'm sure.

I got your point, but I think you're missing mine. I like both Disney, but not exclusive to other theme parks, production companies and movies. And just because I didn't allow my kids to watch Harry Potter was my choice and not hypocritical because even though many kids have watched films that had dark experiences, none had kids in their peer group looking up spells on the Internet and investigating Wicca.

In other words, if the same thing would have happened while kids were watching Cinderella, I would have kept THAT from them, as well. But the kids in their peer group got the "Good vs. Evil" message and didn't go around trying to keep spells in a diary and trying to cast spells on their friends, parents, dogs and cats.

But lastly, we are talking about MY kids, not yours. I have ultimate responsibility of raising them, not you. At this point, they have the freedom to watch the movies and read the books. They rode the ride last week and liked it. They liked the castle. They thought it was great!

But let's not continue this gregarious defense of Harry Potter just because someone decides not to watch it or participate. It's their decision. While I liked the ride and Hogsmeade, this rabid defending by Harry Potter fans is frankly a huge turn-off and "Exhibit A" of why we never participated in it in the first place.

Hey, I'm a 60 yr old, don't ride roller coaster, scared of heights, hate spiders and snakes.....is ride any comparison to Soasin, or Spiderman, or explain in full detail before i ride, i don't really care for any ride that tosses or flips , or jerks......Let me know, I'm Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm a 60 yr old, don't ride roller coaster, scared of heights, hate spiders and snakes.....is ride any comparison to Soasin, or Spiderman, or explain in full detail before i ride, i don't really care for any ride that tosses or flips , or jerks......Let me know, I'm Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's kinda like Soarin and Spiderman, but it's much better than both. It is kinda intense, though. If you hate spiders, you may not like the second live scene (all live scenes begin when they enter a building). There are spiders, and you may just want to close your eyes during that part.

Oh, and let me give you a little tip on getting through scary rides. I actually found this out myself when I rode ROTM the very first time (Which is my favorite, all-time ride... ever!)

Put your finger into one ear.

I know that it sounds weird, but the sounds are very loud on rides. The reason why they do that is to intensify the effects. But if you stick on finger in your ear, you find out that you can endure scary rides better and it's much better than closing your eyes, because you're actually experiencing the ride.

Then the next time you ride it, you don't have to do anything but enjoy it.

But the second live scene of FJ, stick a finger in your ear AND close your eyes!:lmao:

Thanks, i will def try the ear thing, is the ride like flying through the air, or smoothhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nana, I'm your age. I thought it was great, not too jerky but I hear some get motion sickness. A patch or something.

OP I see where Tink is coming from, but I see your point. Most of the fairy tales are just as bad. Dark themes in all of them and I don't agree that their is a defense of Harry, just a point that fairy tales aren't all sunshine and light. Funny there are people who think Dr Seuss is demented.
One more thing, you put something out on the internet and you open yourself up to criticism. You want to raise your kids your way then I'd say don't come off as preaching that others are raising theirs wrong. Just sayin.
Remember alls fair in love and war on the internet.:laughing:

Thanks, maybe will try something before ride.......

I got your point, but I think you're missing mine. I like both Disney, but not exclusive to other theme parks, production companies and movies. And just because I didn't allow my kids to watch Harry Potter was my choice and not hypocritical because even though many kids have watched films that had dark experiences, none had kids in their peer group looking up spells on the Internet and investigating Wicca.

In other words, if the same thing would have happened while kids were watching Cinderella, I would have kept THAT from them, as well. But the kids in their peer group got the "Good vs. Evil" message and didn't go around trying to keep spells in a diary and trying to cast spells on their friends, parents, dogs and cats.

But lastly, we are talking about MY kids, not yours. I have ultimate responsibility of raising them, not you. At this point, they have the freedom to watch the movies and read the books. They rode the ride last week and liked it. They liked the castle. They thought it was great!

But let's not continue this gregarious defense of Harry Potter just because someone decides not to watch it or participate. It's their decision. While I liked the ride and Hogsmeade, this rabid defending by Harry Potter fans is frankly a huge turn-off and "Exhibit A" of why we never participated in it in the first place.

i totally understand what you are saying.

Nana, I'm your age. I thought it was great, not too jerky but I hear some get motion sickness. A patch or something.

OP I see where Tink is coming from, but I see your point. Most of the fairy tales are just as bad. Dark themes in all of them and I don't agree that their is a defense of Harry, just a point that fairy tales aren't all sunshine and light. Funny there are people who think Dr Seuss is demented.
One more thing, you put something out on the internet and you open yourself up to criticism. You want to raise your kids your way then I'd say don't come off as preaching that others are raising theirs wrong. Just sayin.
Remember alls fair in love and war on the internet.:laughing:

See, that's the big issue. I didn't preach at all. I'm being preached to.

Remember, I wrote what I did and didn't do; not what YOU should or shouldn't do. And I did so as a backdrop to my experience, not as some guide as to what you should do. And I did so for people to fill me in and for those who, like me, didn't watch the movies or read the books. The final message was that even though you didn't watch the movies or read books, you can still go to Harry Potter and have a good time.

But then, I have to read diatribes about the evil that lurks in Disney films and fairy tales- inferring that to not read Harry Potter or watch the movies while watching and reading Cinderella or some other fairy tales are hypocritical and prejudicial against Harry Potter.

That's preaching- finding fault into someone else's deeds and trying to show them the right path.

That's not the purpose of why I started this thread and this is the last time that I'm going to address something that is off-topic.

Thank you, OP, for this thread. We are not HP fans, never read a book or saw a movie, yet we want to see this at US. :3dglasses

See, that's the big issue. I didn't preach at all. I'm being preached to.

Remember, I wrote what I did and didn't do; not what YOU should or shouldn't do. And I did so as a backdrop to my experience, not as some guide as to what you should do.

Thank you OP for giving us a review from a total non-HP fan perspective. As a huge fan of the books, I had wondered whether it would be enjoyable to someone who wasn't familiar with the storyline. It's great to know that the experience, while different, was still fun.

Also, I'm sorry you had to deal with the unfair criticism. It seems to me you were not being critical of the books/movies. You simply explained why you didn't know anything about the stories before going to the park. I get it. :goodvibes

I'm glad you had fun! And, thanks to your review, I'm even more excited (which I didn't think was possible) to go for my first visit! :wizard:

Thank you OP for giving us a review from a total non-HP fan perspective. As a huge fan of the books, I had wondered whether it would be enjoyable to someone who wasn't familiar with the storyline. It's great to know that the experience, while different, was still fun.

Also, I'm sorry you had to deal with the unfair criticism. It seems to me you were not being critical of the books/movies. You simply explained why you didn't know anything about the stories before going to the park. I get it. :goodvibes

I'm glad you had fun! And, thanks to your review, I'm even more excited (which I didn't think was possible) to go for my first visit! :wizard:

Thanks! It really was a great time and that castle is fantastic! the innovation and technology, mixed with the dark beauty and tremendous detail of the place is extraordinary. I mean, if a dragon flew and perched itself on the roof of the castle, it wouldn't look out of place at all.

And the chimneys and snow-capped building in Hogsmeade was a nice touch. Oh, and something that I didn't say earlier was that of the attendants and workers in Hogsmeade. Because the workers are college-aged, seeing them dressed up gave the impression of them all being fellow students of that school. And the older workers were dressed as conductors, shopkeepers and officials. That sort of detail is what I really liked about Hogsmeade.

Now the reason why I said that I really wished I could have explored more shops in Hogsmeade is because the whimsical nature of the place makes you want to explore it. You want to discover those small, hidden gems.

Maybe preaching wasn't the right word.

Just seemed that you were being critical of the way other people raise their kids because it's not your way. Also I'm sure if people got on the Disney section and talked about how these little girls carry the princess thing to extremes and how them waiting for their Prince Charming is fanatical and per the experts unhealthy the person doing so wouldn't be accepted too graciously. You are overly sensitive I think, wonder why?

I do think it's contradictory to a certain extent to say that one type of fairytale contains more potentially harmful storylines than another. That's all I'm saying and you never said whether you let your kids read or watch Fantasia, The Sword in the Stone, Snow White etc. I think that was the whole point of my comment at least.

Thank you, OP, for this thread. We are not HP fans, never read a book or saw a movie, yet we want to see this at US. :3dglasses

That's great! I think you're going to have a good time. Just beware, the ride itself have some moments that were unexpected for someone without knowledge of Harry Potter.

Now the reason why I said that I really wished I could have explored more shops in Hogsmeade is because the whimsical nature of the place makes you want to explore it. You want to discover those small, hidden gems.

I wonder if they might consider opening up the shops a bit further now that they've seen how popular the park is. I'd heard that they expanded Olivander's since it was always so crowded. Perhaps they can do that with some of the other shops as well. :thumbsup2

I wonder if they might consider opening up the shops a bit further now that they've seen how popular the park is. I'd heard that they expanded Olivander's since it was always so crowded. Perhaps they can do that with some of the other shops as well. :thumbsup2

There really isn't room. If you look at an overhead photo, you'll see that they've pretty much maxed out on their space. They need to build an entire new section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter