• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A non-DVC type goes to OKW!

CaliforniaDreaming -

Thanks for the kind words, and I hope I haven't started a GF vs OKW debate!

Honestly, we would keep the GF reservation if none of the cut-backs occured. We looked at the whole mess in the "how much bang for the buck" light, and realized that what Disney is offering does not warrent the extra $$$$.

We still want to stay at the GF someday, but it will have to be when the cut-backs are over and Disney gets back to normal.

Hmmmm, one night at the GF Presidential Suite is equal to five nights at OKW. Looks like I need to call CRO back first thing in the morning!

:p

Just got back from OKW. We bought DVC last year but this was our first stay at OKW. We had a two bedroom. It was so nice to have so much room for the 5 of us. We used the jaccuzzi everyday. If it was not me it was one of the children in it. Just don't add to many bubbles or it will look like a Lucy epicode. I faxed a room request 4 days prior to our check in and got exactly what we wanted. I was very please that they could accomodate us. Building 45, 46, and 55 a on the waterway. We were in bldg 24 and had a great view of the golf course and were close to the hospitality house. Old Turle Pond Road seemed quiet. We took a ride through on bikes. Have a wonderful time.

Well one night more than covers my dues for the year...yep - ahead at DVC in my opinion! Lottery win - GF here we come...otherwise - very content with our DVC!

Regarding building choices, We like buildings 45 and 46 for a water view. They overlook Trumbo canal and you can watch all the boats go back and forth to Downtown Disney. There are other water views too--those overlook little lakes with fountains. You can put requests on your reservation. These requests are not guaranteed but they can help. I think I'd put "prefer water view" on my ressie--otherwise you might overlook a golf course (which would be beautiful but not what you prefer). Buildings 30 and higher have two entrances into the bathroom--the lower numbered buildings have only one entrance--since there are only two of you, this probably doesn't matter. You are going to love OKW!! You made a wonderful choice! We gave both of our married daughters DVC honeymoons!!

When I think of all the money you will be spending on your honeymoon (being the DVC fan that I am), the thought came to me that you should take all that $$ and buy "a piece of the magic" ! Then you could have 40 more years of fabulous vacations!!!!

Now my DH would say that is totally impractical ... but isn't he the one who is always saying "when are we going back to the DVC!!!!"

Best purchase we ever made!

Happy Honeymoon!

Originally posted by CaliforniaDreaming

2002 Grand Floridian "BW" Presidential Suite Rates:
Value Season: $1725 + tax
Regular Season: $1920 + tax
Peak Season: $2135 + tax
Holiday Season: $2375 + tax

This suite includes access to both the Royal Palm Club Concierge (this suite is in the main building on the 5th floor - lounge is on the 4th floor) and Sugar Loaf Key Concierge Services. Oh, and this suite sleeps up to 4 adults plus one child under age 3 in a crib.

Are you saying that a family of 5 (none under age 3) would have to get 2 suites?????????:confused: Bummer...

now I'll have to change my plans.

;)

I think you will be thrilled at OKW. Just think--jacuzzi tub on your honeymoon!!!;) My kids use the tub--DH and I have yet to...... Get some champagne, strawberries, candles.....and relax! (You'll love the rest of the 1 BR also, but I'm sure a newly-married couple will especially appreciate this amenity! ;) ;) )

Originally posted by Mom-to-3

Are you saying that a family of 5 (none under age 3) would have to get 2 suites?????????:confused: Bummer...
now I'll have to change my plans.
;)

Yes, you would need more than one suite. But there is only one Presidential Suite (Room 4001, the Roosevelt Suite). There is a two bedroom suite next door (rooms 4002/4003/4004) that sleeps 6, that they'd be more than happy to book for you! There is also 2 more 2 Bedroom Suites (sleeps 6) on that floor (one with an optional 3rd bedroom, sleeps 10), 2- One Bedroom Suites (sleeps 4), a One Bedroom Vice-Presidential Suite (sleeps 2), and 2 Honeymoon Turret Rooms (sleeps 2).

:)

But, compare the 1BR suites to OKW 1BR's, the GF's on the 5th floor are 633 (and I believe the other is 683) square feet!

Don't forget that you can take some nice evening boat rides over to Downtown Disney on the boat from OKW. And it is really great sitting on your porch in your jammies drinking coffee or OJ watching the birds or the early morning golfers. They offer massages at OKW also, if you are in the mood. You just have to schedule them. We'll be home at OKW in about 4 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter