• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A non-DVC type goes to OKW!

LT Hambone

<font color=green>Check out this Mug!<br><font col
Originally, we had reserved a honeymoon suite at the GF for our ten day honeymoon trip. But, with all of the cutbacks, we just could not justify spending all that money for less "entertainment".

So, we called CRO and switched to OKW. Amazing, we got a one bedroom villa with twice as much room, and it has amenities that the GF honeymoon suite (turret) does not - a balcony, a Jacuzzi, a refrigerator, in-room laundry - for less money! Even with the fees they charged to switch, we're still saving $2,000 for our ten day trip!

So to all of you OKW fans out there - what are your thoughts? Did we make a good choice?

Also, we would like a room with a water view (so we feel like we are staying at the GF ;) ). What's some good building choices which will give us this view? Should we fax a room request, or just play it by ear? And are there any buildings we should avoid?

Thanks everyone!

Did we make a good choice?

:D Have a great honeymoon!! You have chosen wisely!!

As for building location, just call and request a water view- there are many and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Building 55 comes to mind as quiet location with a great water view- but don't get too hung up on a specific location- all are nice!

The 1BR will far surpass ANYTHING you would have at the GF- so just enjoy!

Your marriage is off to a great start with such a wise decision!!!!

Have a wonderful time. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Congrats, first of all. OKW is totaly different then the GF. Your room is huge, huge, huge. Did i say huge. Even though your on your honeymoon, you will be able to save money utilize the kitchen, either breakfast or lunch.

OKW is quite, very quite. Olivias is good, not the best but good. On a head to head basis GF has a lot more to offer as far as service but, OKW has savings, piece of mind to offer.

You guys should have no problem with transportation, we never have.

Once you get to WDW make sure you tell every CM you meet that you are on your honeymoon, you never know what will happen.

DW and I had a lot of special surprises while we were at WDW on our HM.

Have a great trip, enjoy OKW.

Scott and Peg:bounce: :bounce:

OKW is a wonderful choice! Very relaxing, quite, romantic resort!!

I know someone else has advised disney transportation is OK..but you might want to consider a car if you plan to visit other resorts for dinner or head over to the board walk or PI for some night life. Disney transportion, regardless or resort, has never been very good for this type of activity.

The resorts offer some of the best dining options at WDW. (surpasses anything at Epcot...IMHO!) Boradwalk is a great place for romantic stroll, and if you like Fish, the Flying Fish Cafe is wonderful, or the Yacht&Beach Clue, Swan and Dolphin also offer great dining choices.

We love OKW ... After staying in a 1 bedroom we can't bring ourelves to reserve a studio or a standard hotel room!

Remember--with the laundry facilities you don't need to pack as many clothes either!!

Congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon!

You made a great choice. You will have all of the amenities you listed as well as a little seclusion that can go a long way on a honeymoon.

Also, you will be starting out your marriage with an extra $2,000 in your pocket.

OK, just to avoid total one-sidedness. You will not receive daily housekeeping. You will not have a direct view of Magic Kingdom. You will not have any Polynesian theming.

You will instead have some room to spread out and enjoy your trip in a relaxed atmosphere....not always easy at WDW!

Congratulations.....you will have a great trip!

I must tell you that the Surgeon General has determined that staying at a DVC resort is thoroughly addictive! :smooth:

Originally posted by Granny
You will not receive daily housekeeping.

I was told differently. If you are staying with DVC points, then yes, you do not receive daily housekeeping. But if you stay as a guest (like what we are doing), you do get full housekeeping.

Or did this change since 4:00 yesterday afternoon???

Thanks to everyone for your kind and encouraging words. Switching resorts was not an easy decision, but after hearing your thoughts, I now know we made a good choice.

:)

You are correct about getting FULL housekeeping!!! Anyone staying on cash gets full housekeeping!!!

I'm curious how you picked OKW... have you seen it before or did you know something about it?

It sits on a golf course & there is a boat that goes to downtown Disney (It's a nice leisurely ride over)... The villa's are absolutely huge by the way, no comparison at all to a regular room!!! Even the villa's at BW & VWL ,which have smaller rooms than OKW still have much larger villa's than a regular room! You can't miss with the DVC villa's, they are all beautiful!!!

Originally posted by chris1gill
I'm curious how you picked OKW...

Simple -

Since we were loosing concierge service, we wanted a place where we could provide our own breakfast and snacks. So, that meant a suite of some sort. There are four resorts at WDW which offer this kind of arrangement - three DVC and the Institute. We didn't care for the location of the Institute, and out of three DVC resorts, OKW was the cheapest and biggest!

So, we rolled the dice, called CRO, and viola! Reservation changed.

Now we are really starting to realize we made an awesome choice, especially since we are getting more for less!

We may have to convert to DVC......

:smooth:

This really strikes me funny! When we first approached the DVC kiosk at WL last spring, our 15 year old DD was with us. The CM there used the fact that we could use our points at the GF to send her on a wonderful honeymoon in a few years! Now I'm thinking: Why would we want to do that when there are ( and will be) so many great DVC properties that where she could stay? Have a great time at OKW and best wishes in your new life together!

MaryJ -- I agree that OKW is a fabulous honeymoon spot. I've met several couples who were given the trip as a present from someone for their honeymoon and they all were awestruck. Even the ones who were staying in studios. And, of course, don't forget about that king size bed in the master suite. ;)

Originally posted by LT Hambone

We may have to convert to DVC......

:smooth:

Well then, it sounds like you made the best choice! As for converting to DVC, you will never regret it if you do!!! If you have one question for this board... about what regrets we have, it's that we didn't buy soon enough!! What an awesome honeymoon present for your wife by the way!! (you might want to ask her beforehand though LOL)

Originally posted by WebmasterDoc

The 1BR will far surpass ANYTHING you would have at the GF- so just enjoy!

Oooh, I have to disagree. They do offer some truly "grand" suites. ;)

:D Cali

They do offer some truly "grand" suites.

It may depend on your definition of "surpass".

While I have NOT seen any of the GF suites, I doubt any are larger than 1000 sq ft and have full kitchen, jacuzzi, washer dryer and spacious balcony - especially for the cost of the OKW 1BR. I'll accept that any day over a room (or suite) at the GF.

While I have NOT seen any of the GF suites, I doubt any are larger than 1000 sq ft and have full kitchen, jacuzzi, washer dryer and spacious balcony - especially for the cost of the OKW 1BR.

Hey WebmasterDoc !

You just hit the nail on the head! GF is an awesome resort, BUT for 1/3 less money then a GF suite we get more room and more ammenities!

And yes, CaliforniaDreaming, we are going to miss the GF, but we'd rather use our saved $$$ to do more! But we will be at the GF for V&A's Chef Table!

OKW, here we come!

Awsome choice!!

If you want a quiet view of water and easy access to a quiet pool, I would try building 55 or 56. If you like pond and fountain and gorgeous golf and sunset views, try for buildings 18 or 20. These are alos close to a nice quiet pool.

I agree you should think about DVC as a great wedding gift for yourselves!

It may depend on your definition of "surpass".

While I have NOT seen any of the GF suites, I doubt any are larger than 1000 sq ft and have full kitchen, jacuzzi, washer dryer and spacious balcony - especially for the cost of the OKW 1BR. I'll accept that any day over a room (or suite) at the GF.

The Presidential Suite is 2,200 square feet, and has the best of everything! :) Other suites range in size from 650 square feet to 1,800 square feet. There is a nice variety of floorplans, but each suite lacks a full kitchen (they do have a nice large wetbar) and it's own laundry facilites. A few suites do have a jacuzzi tub. Most suites do have large balconies (some have 3-5 nice sized balconies, two suites have a huge double sized patio that is 10 feet deeper than the traditional GF balconies and also has 2 regular balconies).

The Presidential Suite is 2,200 square feet

I stand corrected!! ;)

I assume that one is a little more than the 1BR in cost?? OKW does have GV's which are 2300 sq.ft and are still less $$$ than the presidential suite.

Enjoy your suite, I know I'll enjoy the 1BR! :D

I would be interested to know the price of a 2200 square foot Presidential Suite at the GF. We might win the lottery one day but for now I have to just settle for our beautiful 2600 sq foot GV at OKW that I use points for.
By the way - congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I think you made a wiser choice and keep those wise choices coming throughout your years together and you might retire early and enjoy alot more trips to Disney and travel together in your golden years together. Have fun !!

I would be interested to know the price of a 2200 square foot Presidential Suite at the GF.

2002 Grand Floridian "BW" Presidential Suite Rates:
Value Season: $1725 + tax
Regular Season: $1920 + tax
Peak Season: $2135 + tax
Holiday Season: $2375 + tax

This suite includes access to both the Royal Palm Club Concierge (this suite is in the main building on the 5th floor - lounge is on the 4th floor) and Sugar Loaf Key Concierge Services. Oh, and this suite sleeps up to 4 adults plus one child under age 3 in a crib. :)

Though this suite would be really nice to stay in, our next trip to the Grand will be in a Garden View room at the discounted rate of $214 per night plus tax. ;)

LT, have a wonderful time at OKW! I've never stayed there, but have visited, and it looks like a really nice resort. Enjoy all the extra space, and all the extra money! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter