A New Resort!

Stargazer65

Disney Honorary Bus Driver since 2009
Congratulations! You just won a contest to design the next DVC Resort at WDW! Included in the package is a free ownership interest of 10,000 pts, so you want to design it well, because you’ll be staying there a lot.

No cheating, you can’t duplicate an existing resort just because you like it. Try to make it reasonable (i.e. no floating cloud cities, or transporter beams), this is a serious thing. Also, you’re designing a resort, not a theme park so don’t get carried away.

As the project manager, I have questions for you so I can get started on it. You don’t need to know the answers to all the questions now, but you need to start brainstorming:
  • What will be the theme?
  • What kind of design features will it incorporate like furnishings, décor, etc…
  • What types of rooms will it feature…will there be any special room types like the Treehouses or Bungalows?
  • Where should it be built?
  • What transportation options are available?
  • How about restaurant and dining options?
  • What about pools or other on site recreation?

A medieval castle.

Castle furnishings. ots of wood and stone and bear rugs.

A tower with tower rooms and a keep with the best rooms.

Where Reflections was.

Horse drawn carts.

A big banquet hall with communal tables and roasting pits.

A MOAT. With alligators.

Your last line made me lol 🤣

A MOAT. With alligators.
Hmmm...I think that pretty much already exists in that area except we're usually trying to relocate the gators. :laughing:

I think I may have trouble meeting OSHA requirements with an alligator moat!

• What kind of design features will it incorporate like furnishings, décor, etc…
  • What types of rooms will it feature…will there be any special room types like the Treehouses or Bungalows?
  • What about pools or other on-site recreation?

• Winter themed
  • Décor will be more white and blue themed, a Frozen-themed wing
  • Faux Igloos
  • Across from AKV to focus on our snowy friends!
  • Skyliner to swoop in from Hollywood Studios
  • Ice-skating rink within a portion of the property in lieu of a pool

I’m thinking Aladdin with Middle Eastern architecture with a cave of wonders to explore. It will have bedding to look like a magic carpet and suspended from the ceiling like it’s floating. I’d put it next to AK so the lodge is not so lonely anymore. It would also have a sand bottom pool like BC.

I was going to go for a snowy castle as per above... but since that was already listed...

maybe a kitschy 50’s trailer park. Airstreams and other themed trailers with camping

decor: very Americana, same with food, cherry pie, corn dogs, etc.

location -near-ish to Hollywood studios.

pool, classic swim club

Expanding on The Hollywood Tower Hotel idea of @quoo

Join the Hollywood elite at the newly refurbished Hollywood Tower Hotel, a Star in it's Own Right (tm). The 1920's style remains in the forefront, with a wide open main floor featuring Moorish furniture and large plantings. The lobby features an open air bar, with flapper girls acting as waitresses.

The pool is right out of a Buzby Berkley film production, surrounded by steps and fountains.

New elevators, with standard floors marked and a "ride" button, which can be pushed only by the elevator operator. The "ride" button stops 1-3 times randomly between floors and may go up and down (albeit at normal elevator pace), and ultimately takes you to the Top of the Tower Night Club.

The TOTTNC features nightly performances of notable jazz performers of the era, 3d projected hologram-style, on a traditional stage. The menu includes the popular appetizers of the day, including Oysters Rockefeller, deviled eggs, and stuffed mushrooms. The drink menu includes various champagne cocktails, gin rickey, mint juleps (seasonal), and various cordials, all served in tea cups (it's prohibition, of course!).

Here is what I would do:

A retro Disney Parks Resort.

It would be an EPCOT resort on the international gateway side, but would have an extension of the monorail running to it.

So, it would have, bus, Skyliner and monorail access.

It would consist of several buildings, similar in size to the Grand Floridian.

Each building would be themed to a land from one of the parks, but would feature old attractions as a theme.

Beds would be fashioned out of old ride vehicles. Old ride props would be converted to use as various pieces of furniture/fixtures. Where original vehicles and parts can't be used, replicas would be made.

It would not only include vintage items from WDW, but all Disney Parks and as you get.off the monorail, there would be a restaurant called the Monorail Cafe. Other dining locations would likewise pay homage to the past. And discontinued menu items would be served where possible.

Shops would be similarly themed.

At night there would be an updated version of the fountain show that the Disneyland Hotel had for many years, but in a way that you would be able to watch it while swimming in one of the pools. There would also be the koi ponds and waterfalls.

I saw an old vintage WDW trolley for sale. This was one that was a modified gold cart. I would recreate those and have some modified to be accessible and use them for transportation around the resort like the golf carts at OKW.

Basically, everything would be themed and themed well.

There would be animatronics from the past, but updated with newer tech to make them more realistic.

And should they ever decide to get rid of Country Bears at MK, there would be a place to.put the show at the new resort. Perhaps with a version of the show that is exclusively for guests of that resort.

The resort would bring back old entertainment. For an example, the Golden Horseshoe Review from Disneyland would come in. Laughingstock Company would be around and interacting with guests.

The list can go on and on of what all can be done with this theme.

The Tuscany Resort, the central piece would be a piazza inspired by Piazza dell'Anfiteatro in Lucca, which is an hidden gem not many know but it's simply stunning.

The restaurants (real Italian food, obviously) at the first floor would have tables outside and in the middle there could be street performers. People with a Piazza view room would be able to watch the shows from their rooms. It would be a new Boardwalk.

Congratulations! You just won a contest to design the next DVC Resort at WDW! Included in the package is a free ownership interest of 10,000 pts, so you want to design it well, because you’ll be staying there a lot.

No cheating, you can’t duplicate an existing resort just because you like it. Try to make it reasonable (i.e. no floating cloud cities, or transporter beams), this is a serious thing. Also, you’re designing a resort, not a theme park so don’t get carried away.

As the project manager, I have questions for you so I can get started on it. You don’t need to know the answers to all the questions now, but you need to start brainstorming:
  • How about restaurant and dining options?
  • What about pools or other on site recreation?
I love the Tuscan village idea, but I would change it to The Beauty and Beast village. Kind of a Boardwalk feel, with restaurants, and shops, and things to do after park hours, musicians, street performers of all kinds, A French bakery, Italian restaurant, French café, Gaston themed sports bar, a shop that serves ice cream in a variety of ways, a dole pop up with adult choices, clothing stores, toy store, Big community hall, pool with a lazy river that flows in and out and around the town with a nice pool on either end. TWO check in and lobby areas because well, if you have stayed at the back end of any of the newer hotels, you understand. Also, lets pipe in Beauty and Beast music along with other French composers, (EG ;Saint-Saëns )
Rooms with living space like Old Key West. Bedrooms with actual BEDS in them, ( IMHO sleeper sofas do not belong in Bedrooms, hence the name BED room), design will be French country, with plenty of well thought out hidden mickeys, armoires that giggle when the drawers are opened, candle sticks that say," good night," when turned off. wall sconces that look like candles and flicker, for night lights, balconies with ginger bread enclosures ( style, not edible), Full kitchen of course, with cute scalloped edge dishes, and nice flatware. maybe monogram B &B on towels, ( get it?) . A size appropriate crock pot available upon request. Color scheme; white, blues and pale yellow.
Where should it be built: I have no idea, but in a quieter area, off by it's self, or give the appearance of.
Transportation: Buses, monorail, Minnie vans, maybe a train that pulls into MK station?
I would like to see a couple snacks in room for day one, maybe a family box of character cookies, a few bottles of water some GOOD coffee, and tea. and a couple pieces of fruit, apples and oranges in a pretty bowl?

I’m thinking Aladdin with Middle Eastern architecture with a cave of wonders to explore. It will have bedding to look like a magic carpet and suspended from the ceiling like it’s floating. I’d put it next to AK so the lodge is not so lonely anymore. It would also have a sand bottom pool like BC.
and middle eastern cuisine!

Hear me out, guys:

What if they built a resort virtually indistinguishable from any other high-end off-site resort, slapped a few hidden Mickeys in the lobby carpet, quoted Walt Disney about always evolving and changing, and called it a day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter