A must do for Dads

ArcticCat

Mouseketeer
Give me a "must do" for every dad visiting WDW. Heading down for my second time in March. The first time we squeezed in 2 days... not nearly enough. This time we will be there for 7 days. In tow we will have our 4yo and 1yo daughters. I may try to "escape" for a half day.

So, what is it I "Must Do"?

Give me a "must do" for every dad visiting WDW. Heading down for my second time in March. The first time we squeezed in 2 days... not nearly enough. This time we will be there for 7 days. In tow we will have our 4yo and 1yo daughters. I may try to "escape" for a half day.

I think there are a few answers here.

First, the must do as a dad with young daughters - a meal with the princesses. I actually think the princess meal at Akershaus in Epcot is a better value financially, as good or better of a meal, and offers better interaction with the princesses than Cinderella's Royal Table. The one advantage CRT has is with the early breakfast - it's hard to beat walking through an empty Magic Kingdom.

If you're getting away for yourself? I have three suggestions.

1) The free option. Take the time to ride the attractions that you'd otherwise be skipping because you're touring with small children. Just focus on the headliners - Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates (if your kids are intimidated by dark rides).

2) The fairly inexpensive, but still very enjoyable, option is La Cava de Tequila in the Mexico pavilion in Epcot. It's a great little getaway. I can highly recommend the Scorpion Flight - a range of excellent tequilas, served together with a shot glass of Bloody Mary Mix as a between-tequilas palate cleanser. The staff is really knowledgable about the product, there are lots of worthy sipping tequilas and mescals on the menu. Relax and enjoy!

3) The money is no object option? The Exotic Driving Experience. Spend $350 or so, and take a Ferrari (or other exotic car of your choice) for a spin on a road racing course along the road to the Magic Kingdom.

Aaron's recommendations were great. I would add a slow walk around World Showcase, perhaps taking in the local brew at each stop or at least ones you have not tried!

If I was there and had time to myself I would want to catch as much as I could of these four rides:

Space Mountain
Soarin
Mission Space
Splash mountain

If you are a golfer, you may want to take the time to try out one of the courses that Disney has to offer. And if you don't want to do that, the putt putt golfing at Fantasia Gardens. I just went and did the Fairways course with my father-in-law this past trip and loved it.

Aaron had some good suggestions. I second the Askersus for the princess meal! Ariel is typically a hoot with the kids.

My biggest advice is to take time to enjoy the trip. As our commando Ron says, commando is about planning, not about running from attraction to attraction. It is very easy to get caught up in the rush at Disney. Take time to enjoy the little things, the cast member interactions and the spontaneous moments that happen. A good planner allows for for these moments.

Have a great trip!

A lot of good ideas here.

A few of my "Dad getaway" ideas for when you need some "me" time:

1) Grab a beer at... (Germany, UK, ESPN Zone, River Roost Lounge etc.)

2) If coffee is more you thing, head to the Poly for a nice pot of real Kona coffee at the Kona Lounge.

3) Catch a "Dad Themed" show at DHS. (Lights, Motorcars, Action! or Indiana Jones Stunt Show come to mind)

4) Just walk around on your own and people-watch.

5) Just to say I beat Ron in posting this, get your haircut at the Main Street Barbershop.

So do you have any constraints around your escape? Are you trying to stay in a specific park, just on WDW property or anywhere in Orlando. Everyone has put together some pretty good suggestions.

While I am definitely a fan of the mountains at MK, even when the kids were younger I was always able to snag a fastpass and sneak away for a couple minutes to ride them while I was in the park with the family. I have a much harder time breaking away to ride RNRR or EE so I'd probably spend my time focused there.

If money wasn't an option I'd either try the Driving Experience or SNUBA at the Living Seas. (I'm not certified or I'd really like to try Scuba there.)

If you're looking for a family must do, then it is Cinderella Royal Table for breakfast. Princesses and the stuffed french toast. DW found the recipe and is making it for Christmas morning.

If you're looking for a single thing, I like other's suggestions but may also suggest the paid Segway tour at Epcot, if they are still doing it.

I like the firework shows, but that can be a bit much for young children. You can watch Wishes from the Contemporary Resort or Illuminations from the bridge at the Boardwalk/ Beach Club.

Have a great trip.

If money wasn't an option I'd either try the Driving Experience or SNUBA at the Living Seas. (I'm not certified or I'd really like to try Scuba there.)

My husband and I have never done "SNUBA" before, but we did do the "Seas Aqua Tour" which is snorkeling inside the aquarium at Epcot. It was FANTASTIC! You don't need to know how to scuba, just have a swimsuit and show up to learn how to use the snorkel gear. It's what I call "fancy snorkeling" though - it's not just plastic masks, you actually get the full-on oxygen tank and respirator, you just don't "dive" like the scuba people. Instead, you stay on the top of the water. I'm not a dad, and when we went we had no kids (I'm pregnant now with our first now) - but my husband LOVED this experience. DEFINITELY worth the money!

If that interests you, here's the info on it:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/seas-aqua-tour/

Good luck with finding your perfect escape!

So, we made a reservation for the princess breakfast. I also made reservations at Les Chefs to help make my wife happy... Now I just need to decide on me... Thanks for the input so far.

1) I would relax with a dole whip and just take in the scenes
2) I would relax with a dole whip and just listen to the sounds
3) I would relax with a dole whip and just smell the smells
4) I would just relax with a dole whip

That reminded me of how on my last trip. I declared that one day sans child I would go relax in the rocking chairs on Tom Sawyer Island for a while...with a dole whip sounds fantastic!

Never had/heard of a dole whip... where might I find such a treasure?

The sell them at Aloha island which is in the building on the right as you enter adventureland from the hub. You can also get them in the Polynesian resort. I'm not a Dolewhip purist. To me i prefer the Dolewhip float and that's what the term evokes to me when people say it. The actual dolewhip is pineapple softserve (I think).

The sell them at Aloha island which is in the building on the right as you enter adventureland from the hub. You can also get them in the Polynesian resort. I'm not a Dolewhip purist. To me i prefer the Dolewhip float and that's what the term evokes to me when people say it. The actual dolewhip is pineapple softserve (I think).

i like the pineapple/vanilla swirl soft serve. I thought the pineapple was too strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter