A Mid-Winter Getaway ~ My First PTR!! ~ 4/13: TR update - pg. 8

*DisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! My name is Claire and I am a long-time lurker of the DIS. After much deliberation and some motivation from my sister (wdwgirl03 here on the DIS - some of you may know her), I decided to start a PTR for my next trip to Disney World. Details are still being worked on, but because I am so excited, I couldn't wait to start this.

Here is some of the important information:

DATES: January 23-January 30, 2010
~The exact dates are still tentative and subject to change, but this is what we have reserved at the moment.

THE RESORT: Disney's Boardwalk Villas
~My family has been DVC members since 2006, and one of our favorite parts of being members is having the opportunity to try out all of the DVC resorts. Our original reservation was made at Saratoga Springs, our home resort, but we just passed the 7-month point earlier this week, so we were able to try for a different resort. I was thrilled when I learned that we were able to book a room at the Boardwalk for this trip. So we will be staying in a 1-bedroom villa there. And we even managed to get a Boardwalk view!

That is all for now, but I hope you all choose to join in the fun and follow me as I attempt my very first PTR. This trip is still in the planning stages and is several months away, but I will be sure to keep everyone updated. So please read and post!!

Hey Claire!! Welcome to the DIS!! I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip. I went this last January and had the best time ever, great weather and low crowds...can't ask for anything more!

Hi, sister!

I'm glad you decided to start your PTR. It's alright if it's kind of early, it's fun to share the excitement with lots of other Disney fans. I am soooo jealous you get to stay at the Boardwalk. It was so fun when we stayed at the BCV, so I'm sure you'll like the BW!

Hi,
I read your first post this morning, and I said to myself,
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know who she is talking about.
I'm am really bad with UserNames, and I usually recognize
the name of the Thread.

You will love the Boardwalk Villa's.

I'm here too. Came over from Sarah's TR. Can't wait to hear all about it, especially your BWV view! :goodvibes

Hello to everyone who has replied! Thanks for following along. I am excited to share all of my plans with you. :goodvibes

I'll have another more substantial update soon, since I have to introduce the cast for this trip! :)

Wow, I'm already a terrible updater for this thing. :headache: I'm sorry that I've been MIA. But I'm finally getting around to posting again, so it's time for the cast introduction!

THE CAST

Me (Claire): 22-year old student at Marquette University, where I am majoring in Elementary Education and Math. I just finished up my senior year in May, and will be student teaching in the fall. This trip will take place immediately after I finish up with that, as a sort of graduation celebration. I am a huge Disney fan, and can never get enough of visiting the World. :lovestruc As you can probably tell from my signature, Pirates of the Caribbean is one of my favorite Disney movies.

Dad: A graduate of Princeton University and the University of Michigan law school. Loves to golf, and enjoys taking trips to Disney World at least once a year. His favorite character is Tigger.

Mom: Not a big fan of traveling, but enjoys visiting Disney World. Her favorite part of our trips is touring World Showcase. It is also important to know that Mom is not a thrill ride fan at all. :sad2:

So, that is who will be going on this trip. Unfortunately my two sisters will not be able to come along. :guilty: Emma, my younger sister, will be in school, and Sarah is hoping to have a teaching position at that time. We will miss them while we're gone, but I'm looking forward to a trip with just my parents. :goodvibes I know we'll have a great time!

So how is it fair that you get a graduation trip? Did I get a graduation trip? Nooooo...:rotfl::rotfl: Oh wait, we went on that trip in May after I finished student teaching. I guess that sort of counts. :teeth:

And random, but I wish I would've majored in math! :teacher:

:mickeyjum

Guess who's back? ;) I know it's been months since I posted to this, but I was reading my sister's PTR last night and got motivated to get back to mine. My trip is less than 2 months away, so I'm starting to get really excited!! It's only 55 days!!

Since I started this PTR, there has been one minor change. The original dates we had planned were January 23-30, but now they are:

:wizard: January 24-January 30, 2010 :wizard:

So we'll just be leaving one day later. That's fine with me, since I finish my student teaching on January 22, and then I'll have the day after to get ready. But other than the dates, nothing has changed. We will still be staying in a one-bedroom Boardwalk view room at the Boardwalk Villas. :cool1:

So anyway, I hope the people who started reading this will return. I promise that I'll try to be a better updater. Since the trip is coming up so quickly, I'll have some more things to share.

Well it is about time you updated this thing! LOL. I wish I could come with you guys but ohhhh well. I'll get to have lots of fun shoveling snow at home. :rolleyes:

You can keep posting, sometimes it just takes a while for people to read it.

Don't you have some ADRs you could mention? :rolleyes1

So, I don't know if anyone's reading this, but I'll continue anyway. Maybe some people will decide to join in. :)

I first started this PTR several months ago, and since then, we've made some more plans for our trip, as well as learned some things about what will be going on while we're there. Here's the scoop:

1). First of all, ADR's. So far, we have made two. We're not sure if we'll use both of them (my family doesn't really eat at sit-down restaurants in WDW too often - we prefer to just get quick service meals), but at least we have them if we decide we want to. The first one we have is for The Yachtsman on Tuesday. I read a TR a while back where someone ate here, and I thought it looked good. I ran it past my dad, and he said he'd be willing to try it out. It will be easy to do, since we'll be staying right at the Boardwalk. Our second ADR is for the 50's Prime Time Cafe on Friday. We've eaten here a few times before, and we all love it. It's been a while since I've been there, though, so I'm anxious to go back!

2) Second thing to mention is closures during the time we'll be there. I was bummed to learn that beginning in January, Splash Mountain will be closed. SM is one of my favorite attractions, so I'm sad we'll miss it. Also, as I've already said, we'll be staying at the Boardwalk Villas. About a month or so ago, my dad got something in the mail that mentioned that early next year, the Boardwalk's swimming pool will be closed. And obviously that time includes while we're there. This is also something that we were disappointed to hear. We have never stayed at the BWV before, so we were looking forward to trying out that pool. They did say, though, that the Yacht and Beach Club pool will be open to BW guests during that time.

So that's the update for now. I'll try to update again soon with my list of must-dos for this trip!! :goodvibes And if anyone's reading, please post and say hi!

I didn't know you made an ADR for Prime Time too.

That stinks about the pool being closed but Stormalong Bay is pretty sweet.

ETA: You made it to page 2! hehe

So, some exciting news - my dad told me when I got home from school that our Magical Express packet arrived today. That means our trip is getting really close!! The countdown is now at 37 days! :cool1:

To make this update more substantial, I thought I'd post a list of the Top 10 Must-Do's for me on this trip. Just a note, this is really in no particular order.

Claire's Top Ten Must-Do's

#10: Hollywood Studios Shows
By this, I am referring to the Beauty and the Beast stage show and The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I am a sucker for the Classic Disney movies, and love this two shows. I haven't seen them the last couple trips, so it's time to see them again.

#9: Mickey's Philharmagic
This is another show that I love. On my last trip we didn't get to it, though, so it's a must-do for me this time.

#8: The Festival of the Lion King
I have seen this show a couple times before, but not on my last trip. So this time, I'd like to check it out again. I think it's such an amazing show, and I love everything about it - the music, the acrobats, the energy, etc.

#7: Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure
When my dad and sisters went to WDW in August, they did a couple missions on the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure. They told me about how it worked, and I thought it sounded like so much fun. I think it's a cool way to check out World Showcase and have a chance to see things that you probably wouldn't see normally. So on this trip, I want to check it out, and hopefully do a few missions.

#6: Pixie Hollow
My sister visited Pixie Hollow on her trip last December. She had to wait quite a while, but got her picture with Tinker Bell and some of the other fairies. Since we're going during an non-peak time, I'm hoping this won't be as bad as it was then.

#5: Nighttime shows
It is my goal for this trip to make it to all of the nighttime shows - Fantasmic!, Illuminations, Wishes, and SpectroMagic. It will require some planning ahead, since most of them aren't held every night during this time, but I want to try and make it work.

#4: The Triple Mountain Whammy (minus Splash Mountain)
Like I mentioned in my last update, Splash Mountain will be closed during our trip. But the other two Magic Kingdom Mountains - Space and Big Thunder - are always must-do's for me. :)

#3: Expedition: Everest
There's not too much to say for this one. I've been a fan of this ride since my first time on it 3 years ago. So just like the MK Moutains, this is a must-do.

#2: Toy Story Mania
My last trip to Disney World was in May 2008. At this time, TSM was not officially opened yet. They were doing some previews at the time, though, and we were fortunate enough to be at the Studios one of the times they were. We rode it twice, and we were instantly hooked. It is such a creative idea for a ride. This trip, I'm excited to get to ride it when it's actually open for real. I'm also looking forward to seeing the area around the ride, since it obviously wasn't ready during the previews.

#1: The American Idol Experience
This will be my first trip to Disney World since the AI Experience opened. My dad and sisters went in August and went to this show twice - one regular show and one daily finale. They all really enjoyed it. Because I am a huge American Idol fan, I cannot wait to see this show. If possible, I'd like to do 2 shows like my dad and sisters did, but it's not necessary. Just one would be fine, too. :)

So, those are my must-do's for this trip. It's been more than a year and half since I was last in Disney World, (I know, that's really not that long, but it feels like it!) so there's a lot I want to do. We'll be there for 5 full days, so hopefully we'll get to all of it.

Love your list. You will really like the American Idol experience. Sad about Splash Mountain but atleast Space will be open for you!

I love Pixie Hollow too. I think Terence might be there now too because of the new movie but I'm not sure if that was just for a little bit. Who knows. LOL.

Hi Claire! Got here via your sister's PTR. I like your Top 10 Must Do's! I'm going about the same time as your sister in April, and normally my family doesn't go to all the parks. But since my DBF is coming along with us this time, I'm hoping to go to DHS with him. Trying Toy Story Mania would be a great memory! So cool how you were able to try it as a preview!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter