A Little More Fuel to the Grand Californian Villas Fire

kjjlouie

Earning My Ears
I just got back from a short three day trip to the Grand Californian. As I pulled up to the hotel entrance a bellhop asked where I was from. I told him that I lived only 10 miles aways. He asked me why I was staying at the hotel if I lived so close. I told him that my kids were too young to fly to Orlando, and we had to use our DVC points for this year. His quick response with a chuckle was.....

"This is probably the last time you'll be staying in the hotel section of the Grand then.....(chuckle, smirk)"

I said, "What?"

He ran off with his mouth covered and returned with a luggage cart. The rest of our conversation was me talking and him only nodding in agreement. No More Words.

Let's see what happens.popcorn::

I don't think it will be long before we here an announcement about the Grand Californian. AKV was officially announced on Oct 1st. I'm thinking that's when GCV will be announced this year. I also think with the recent ground breaking at the Contemporary we will be hearing something at the same time as GCV on Oct 1st.

Only time will tell.

For what it is worth I was speaking with my guide today -- arranging a tour of the models when I am in California in October. I told him to be sure and put me on a list of folks to call if a DVC California came along. His reply was "everyone thinks one will be happening sooner or later" which is different from his usual comment of "I don't know anything about that." I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is sooner rather than later. :thumbsup2

For what it is worth I was speaking with my guide today -- arranging a tour of the models when I am in California in October. I told him to be sure and put me on a list of folks to call if a DVC California came along. His reply was "everyone thinks one will be happening sooner or later" which is different from his usual comment of "I don't know anything about that." I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is sooner rather than later. :thumbsup2

Since a permit was pulled 2 weeks ago to redo the models (By the same archetect that is building the units at GCH), you may find them closed when you visit in October.

I think you are right on with the grand cal. We stayed there in April In conc. they did the same thing..

As for the simple expansion at the CR your all wet lol (just my opinion)

I've been watching the status on the building permits. :surfweb:
Once it looks like things will be moving along I might have to go for a short Disneyland fix to see what's happening down there.

Since a permit was pulled 2 weeks ago to redo the models (By the same archetect that is building the units at GCH), you may find them closed when you visit in October.

Bummer! For some reason I thought the permits were for the hotel -- it didn't register that they were for the models. I just thought it would be fun to see the models while I am there since I purchased sight unseen.

Currently there are three permits:
BLD2007-01716 to remove the overhang to make way for the addition,
BLD2007-01783 for the addition shell,
BLD2007-01721 to remodel the timeshare models.

Right now, all three permits are in the "received" status, so it will depend on how fast the permits are issued and when they start the remodel as to the availability of the models.

I don't think it will be long before we here an announcement about the Grand Californian. AKV was officially announced on Oct 1st.

Actually it was October 12, '06 when they issued a brief release with one piece of concept artwork and a few minor details.

More complete information and concept artwork were published on January 25, '07.

We will be at DLR this weekend. I will have my camera in hand and take pictures of anything out of the ordinary.

Since it sounds like "when" now and not "if" it is going to happen, does anyone have any speculation about how many rooms will be available when the new DL DVC is built? I am not familiar with how much room is available there to build on. I know they don't have a lot of space. Is this going to be a DVC that you have to purchase immediately, because it will sell out quickly? I am wanting to be prepared, because I really want at least 100 points there. I want to be able to have that 11 month window, because I think if you ever want to stay at DL DVC, it will be imperative.

Since it sounds like "when" now and not "if" it is going to happen, does anyone have any speculation about how many rooms will be available when the new DL DVC is built? I am not familiar with how much room is available there to build on. I know they don't have a lot of space. Is this going to be a DVC that you have to purchase immediately, because it will sell out quickly? I am wanting to be prepared, because I really want at least 100 points there. I want to be able to have that 11 month window, because I think if you ever want to stay at DL DVC, it will be imperative.

The rumor is 50 units at the GC. Since that is such a small number I think you really will have to be an owner to stay there. And those points will sell out quickly since it will be such a limited amount.

I have heard from other sources that there will eventaully be a much larger stand alone DVC behind the Bonita Tower at the DLH. Time will tell if that turns out to be true.

My guide said that they doont take peoples names for call backs for DVC...does yours?

[QUOTE="Got Disney";20504587]My guide said that they doont take peoples names for call backs for DVC...does yours?[/QUOTE]

Mine did, my name is at the top of the list for a CA DVC. Of course my guide also knows that I will probably call as soon as a CA DVC is announced.

[QUOTE="Got Disney";20504587]My guide said that they doont take peoples names for call backs for DVC...does yours?[/QUOTE]

What he actually said is that he has it noted that I am interested. Any guide who is a good salesperson should have a list going of leads for when or if it happens. Maybe some guides are afraid to even say that they have a list since it is not officially announced and don't want to run afoul of timeshare rules or some Disney policy. If I were you I would call my guide back and ask them to note that you are interested if such an announcement ever happens.

From what I remember of the AKL announcement and sales process if you are already a DVC member you are going to get first shot to buy before the public. I think that you have to call and purchase and not the other way around no matter when you are buying. And while I think that everyone thinks the demand is going to be very high for a GC DVC hopefully there will be enough for those of us who already own and if anyone got shut out it would be people who weren't already members. Also, it seems to me that the majority of DVC folks are midwestern or eastern or at least closer to WDW.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway . . .

We will be at DLR this weekend. I will have my camera in hand and take pictures of anything out of the ordinary.

Hope that you had a great time and wondering if you saw anything interesting . . . :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter