A little help with Irma rescheduling

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
We were supposed to arrive at SSR on Sunday afternoon. THAT'S not happening now. We are looking at two possibilities. 1) booked a cheap off site room on cash for a Saturday arrival and stay there, move to SSR first thing in the am and ride out the storm. Or 2)try to move the trip.

Having never had to cancel or move a DVC trip before, what are my options for moving the trip? If there is availability at SSR for the following week, can I just rebook the trip for then? If there is no availability am I SOL??

Your options for moving the trip vary. Your challenge will be availability. You can rebook if the points are still valid and there's availability. If there's not, you can cancel and they may or may not be flexible with your banking deadline.

Do we even know the path of Irma for sure?

It might or might not reach Orlando and only reach the coast line.

We are in Orlando until Monday and should Irma reach Orlando I assume we get to stay a few extra days

We were supposed to arrive at SSR on Sunday afternoon. THAT'S not happening now. We are looking at two possibilities. 1) booked a cheap off site room on cash for a Saturday arrival and stay there, move to SSR first thing in the am and ride out the storm. Or 2)try to move the trip.

Having never had to cancel or move a DVC trip before, what are my options for moving the trip? If there is availability at SSR for the following week, can I just rebook the trip for then? If there is no availability am I SOL??
We are in the same situation, arriving Sun but we may drive down Sat to be ahead of the storm Right now, there is no availability where we are staying for Sat. We could stay off site but then we risk the room not be ready until late afternoon or even not at all if they have to hold over rooms for guest stuck there. And then we are dealing with the storm in a main public area. I am hoping that people start canceling for Saturday night and I can pick up that night and merge the reservations - though I am now hearing from these boards that MS has huge phone waits right now so merging may not be possible. At least I would have a room that they would not be able to kick me out of in a state of emergency...

Do we even know the path of Irma for sure?

It might or might not reach Orlando and only reach the coast line.

We are in Orlando until Monday and should Irma reach Orlando I assume we get to stay a few extra days
the main models are predicting it will hit either coast line. One has it going straight up the middle of FL all of these will place Orlando in line for some very heavy winds - much heavier than Matthew last year. There is one model that is hitting Miami and bouncing far enough off the coast to avert damage on the inland but that is then going up to SC/NC where I live so I am worried with all of the predictions...

As for Disney giving you a few extra nights, that is doubtful. Disney is very good with clean up and they are pretty much self sufficient. They will have to extend the reservations for those that are supposed to be checking out on Sunday but by Monday morning, the storm will be gone. They may extend for those with flights that are canceled due to their destinations but that's all.

There is zero availability on the member site for moving the trip a week or 2 or 3 or 4 out. So it's go or cancel completely and there would be no vacation at all until next year.

There is zero availability on the member site for moving the trip a week or 2 or 3 or 4 out. So it's go or cancel completely and there would be no vacation at all until next year.

Availability changes a lot even during a day although you do have to keep checking.

Availability changes a lot even during a day although you do have to keep checking.

I'm going to call MS today and see if there is anything available to move the trip. I will keep checking right up until the last minute for us to cancel and hopefully we won't lose the points.

I would wait until Disney declares a hurricane condition. At that point, they will be very flexible with you. Until then, if you cancel, you lose the points unless you can use them in holding.

All:
A Mandatory Evac has been ordered for the Key's guests starting yesterday and for everyone starting today.
Where are all those people going - north to ride out the storm.
All tolls in Fla are currently suspended to facilitate the evac.
Orange County is a host county for evacuees from coastal counties so all hotels rooms book up early as the evacuees try to make arrangements so they do not end up in shelters.

If Disney does not declare a hurricane condition then I guess I can't reschedule our (Sept 8th) trip. If I cancel I guess the points go into holding. Right

On hold with MS right now since 9:00AM. All it does it ring now, should I hang up and start over? Suppose to arrive tomorrow and cruise on Saturday. DCL cancelled the cruise, so have to cancel the room as there is no place to stay for 7 nights. Then I have another room for a few nights after the ship was to come in. Jetblue was wonderful about the credit, no questions asked.

I've been trying to get through to MS for 40 minutes. Nothing but busy signals, or it rings and rings and then goes to a rapid busy signal. I'm frustrated and sad right now (as are many others).

If Disney does not declare a hurricane condition then I guess I can't reschedule our (Sept 8th) trip. If I cancel I guess the points go into holding. Right
This is what I'm trying to find out too.

If we just cancel without the hurricane warning we need to do it at least one day prior to arrival. ( Which is tomorrow for a Sept 8th check in )

I would get my Vacation Points back BUT they must be used for travel by September 30, 2017 or they expire. ( they are banked oct 2016 points :(

I got through and am on hold...approx 35 minutes to wait. Our points are banked 2016 Aug U/Y points so I'm not sure when they expire. This is my first time at this cancellation-rodeo LOL.

Just got through at 9:30 am.
The CM I talked to at MS today a 9:30 am said Disney waived the penalty for canceling do to hurricane issues. Points will go back where the were if you cancel or you can reschedule in the future as long as points are good.
This is what I was told
EDITED: I would still call MS and double check

I would wait until Disney declares a hurricane condition. At that point, they will be very flexible with you. Until then, if you cancel, you lose the points unless you can use them in holding.
I was scheduled to check into Beach Club tomorrow with points expiring 9/30 and Disney banked the points I would have used without a problem.

As for Disney giving you a few extra nights, that is doubtful. Disney is very good with clean up and they are pretty much self sufficient.

What I meant was that if we can't go home because of our flight being cancelled then our travel insurance would pay for the extra days at Disney until we can go home.

I got through and am on hold...approx 35 minutes to wait. Our points are banked 2016 Aug U/Y points so I'm not sure when they expire. This is my first time at this cancellation-rodeo LOL.
Please update us when you get off the phone

Just got off the phone with MS. She was VERY sweet. CM's are really being great in all this. She searched for any way to move our studio at SSR to the following week or even into late September or October. There was no availability there or even AKLV or OKW. She said to check again in a few days as there are LOTS of cancellations happening and it's changing constantly so something may open up.

IF we cancel she said Disney is waiving all of their "penalties". We can apparently cancel even the day of arrival. Our points were banked points so they would return to our account and could be used up to the end of July 2018 (August U/Y).

What I meant was that if we can't go home because of our flight being cancelled then our travel insurance would pay for the extra days at Disney until we can go home.

Unfortunately our flight was cancelled, and we can't get a new flight until Thursday. Just booked some additional nights at VGF not the worse place to stay during the hurricane. Hope that the hurricane will change it path and head out to sea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter