• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A little FYI about MCO and soaking wet luggage

When the ramp is closed due to lightning, they have to go in immediately. It's too dangerous.

Yep, that is my understanding too. Better some soaked luggage than some injured baggage handlers.

I will use some sort of Ziplocs or trash bags or something from now on! It sounds like this really does happen all the time.

The camera manual is just matte finish paper. It is still a little damp, but I think he will be able to use it. The pages don't seem to be sticking together. It is a little "crispy" so I will mention the iron to DH.

The situation was not like the bags were being loaded when the storm hit. We could see this wall of BLACK clouds and lightning coming well in advance. There was no plane at the gate. A plane landed as the rain and lightning started, but they left it on the tarmac for over an hour until the rain stopped. At that time they chose to send that plane to Dayton, not Dallas. Those passengers were already stacked up at the same gate where we were, and that flight had replaced ours on the board. No idea where their luggage was at that point. I suspect ours was out in the rain! :mad:

The next plane at the gate was sent to Atlanta, despite our flight being put back on the board. They moved us to another gate to load us on a plane that they had diverted to Tampa in the thick of the storm.

I certainly don't want anyone to risk being hit by lightning. My thought is more that our luggage shouldn't have gone out in the rain, because they didn't have a place to put it once it got out there. The e-mail I got stated that the luggage carts are covered, but this was obviously not just incidental exposure to the rain. :headache: I am guessing they pulled the cart out in anticipation of loading the luggage for our scheduled departure, then the weather turned and the ground crew went inside without covering the bags. It seems like they would have had enough advance warning to move the cart or cover the bags, but maybe not. :confused3

I don't think this was caused by liquid in someone else's bag. From the way our bags came out, I would say the 2 really wet ones were flat on top of a stack and took the brunt of the rain for a sustained period. The bags were uniformly wet, and the water penetrated down into the bags like rain would filter down into the ground.

I am hopeful that SW will honor the AirTran credit. If not, well, lesson learned that the airlines can and will leave bags in the torrential rain! Next time I will be ready!

This happened to us a few years ago on the way to WDW and we arrived at our room about 10 pm. I did the best I could to dry a night gown with the blow dryer. I use large ziplocks much more frequently now.

It was dry in Orlando, but we changed planes in Atlanta during storms.

How come they haven't invented hard shell luggage that seals shut? And soft side luggage that is not porous?

If I were a baggage handler out working on an wide open tarmac, with tons of metal all around me in the middle of a lightning storm I would get under cover ASAP (as I would be ordered to do by my managers). Sorry, I know it's inconvenient for folks whose luggage gets wet, but is that really worth risking lives over?

This! We had a flight into El Paso and it was during a thunderstorm. We finally landed, but it took forever for the bags to come in because the ground crew kept getting pulled in due to lightning. It happens, it's unfortunate, but it does happen. I'd rather the ground crew be safe than my luggage to stay dry.

When the ramp is closed due to lightning, they have to go in immediately. It's too dangerous.

MCO will close the tarmac on a moments notice...ALL employees are required to get off the airfield and under cover...I have seen lightning strike the bridges ALL the time...scary scary times

MCO will close the tarmac on a moments notice...ALL employees are required to get off the airfield and under cover...I have seen lightning strike the bridges ALL the time...scary scary times

Exactly. I had to wait at baggage claim for two hours once during thunderstorms because all ramp personnel had been pulled inside. Unfortunately, we were going on a cruise the next day so no DME or cruise luggage transfers to save us the wait!

How come they haven't invented hard shell luggage that seals shut? And soft side luggage that is not porous?

Of course they have, but it isn't cheap. It is often marketed as being bedbug-resistant, as it doesn't have zippers. Duffels meant for motorcyclists or boaters also have this feature.

In addition, you can do your own waterproofing (well, water-resistance, really -- it won't help with full submersion). You can use the waterproofing kits meant for boat canopies and tents to seal the seams and treat the fabric of soft-sided bags.

Its a good idea to spray "Camp Dry" on your luggage. We did and I am glad because when we flew home last month there was a down pour at the airport. Some of the folks collecting their luggage were upset about their bages being wet. Our bags were completely dry.

You can get it at walmart in the shoe dept

http://kiwicampdry.com/products.html

I spray it on my vera bradley purse every 4 months. Keeps my purse clean and dry.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I do believe an apology is at least in order. Went through this once as well. And like you, it was a good thing I was on my way home. Since I've been reading these boards, the best tip I've gotten is to put your stuff into ziplock and space saver bags. This way, if something like this were to happen again, at least it's just the bag that gets wet. Clothes and everything else stay dry. I hope you at least get your apology and for the most part, I hope most of your trip was a magical one. :wizard:

That's what we do. That way if a bottle of "liquid" breaks in someone else's luggage and leaks on yours it is protected as well.

Its a good idea to spray "Camp Dry" on your luggage. We did and I am glad because when we flew home last month there was a down pour at the airport. Some of the folks collecting their luggage were upset about their bages being wet. Our bags were completely dry.

I spray it on my vera bradley purse every 4 months. Keeps my purse clean and dry.

I will have to look for this.

DH was just saying who would have thought it would be necessary to treat your luggage with a product like this. But obviously, it IS necessary.

We also learned that our one bag is too big and we were slapped with a $49 "oversize" fee, so that bag is now out of the rotation for future trips.

In 2012 we will be using smaller bags, and we will pre-treat them with water repellant before we leave!

I even have a can of this at home and I wouldn't have thought to treat my luggage. I think I'll have to do just that. Thanks for the tip!

This happens at many airports, not just MCO. When it rains, luggage is going to get wet. I think that you were lucky to get any compensation.

As for the camera manual, these are usually available as .PDF files at the manufacturer's website. You can always download and print out a new copy.

If the manual or brochure got wet and dried out and the pages got stuck together, you could try soaking it again to see if the pages come apart. Then interleave paper towels or tissues as suggested previously.

This happens at many airports, not just MCO. When it rains, luggage is going to get wet. I think that you were lucky to get any compensation.

As for the camera manual, these are usually available as .PDF files at the manufacturer's website. You can always download and print out a new copy.

It is several hundred pages long. :rotfl2: DH can read it online, but it would cost a fortune in ink and paper to reprint it.

We were at MCO Sat night, too. We arrived at BWI around 12:30 am after the same similar delay. Every piece of our 7 luggage items AND car booster seat were soaked as if they'd been stored in a lake all those hours. My husband actually wrung out his socks and I had to dry out my make-up that was enclosed in a make-up bag within the suitcase. We were livid to say the least and approached the baggage desk for Southwest Airlines with little sympathy and no satisfaction. They wanted us to itemize a list of any ruined items for them right then and there. They commented that if drycleaning was required, we could submit a receipt for reimbursement. ( Oh yeah, right, I was going to inventory 7 suitcases with a sleeping 4 yr old and a pathetically tired 8 year old at 2 a.m.) I will be calling them shortly to vent my frustration!!

Good luck and I'll be purchasing lots of plastic bags the next time we fly.

The way thunderstorms pop up in Central Florida, this does not surprise me. Anyone who has visited Disney World in the summertime has seen the sky go from blue to gray to black in a matter of minutes. Actually, coming from New York, I relish the opportunities to see nature do its work. If it means some wet clothes when after a safe flight, I will certainly survive -- and praise the baggage handlers from protecting themselves from the lightning!

We were at MCO Sat night, too. We arrived at BWI around 12:30 am after the same similar delay. Every piece of our 7 luggage items AND car booster seat were soaked as if they'd been stored in a lake all those hours. My husband actually wrung out his socks and I had to dry out my make-up that was enclosed in a make-up bag within the suitcase. We were livid to say the least and approached the baggage desk for Southwest Airlines with little sympathy and no satisfaction. They wanted us to itemize a list of any ruined items for them right then and there. They commented that if drycleaning was required, we could submit a receipt for reimbursement. ( Oh yeah, right, I was going to inventory 7 suitcases with a sleeping 4 yr old and a pathetically tired 8 year old at 2 a.m.) I will be calling them shortly to vent my frustration!!

Good luck and I'll be purchasing lots of plastic bags the next time we fly.

I am so sorry that happened. The one good thing was that we were going HOME. The clothes that got wet were clothes I would have had to launder anyway. It probably wouldn't have been my choice to spend 12 hours doing laundry as soon as we got home, but that's how it went. :rolleyes:

This thunderstorm was visible from quite a ways out. We saw it coming, and we KNEW it was going to delay the flight at least an hour before the announcement of delay was made. With the radar and such they had to have known well in advance that a storm with a lot of lightning was coming, which is why I don't understand why they had luggage out in the open.

This thunderstorm was visible from quite a ways out. We saw it coming, and we KNEW it was going to delay the flight at least an hour before the announcement of delay was made. With the radar and such they had to have known well in advance that a storm with a lot of lightning was coming, which is why I don't understand why they had luggage out in the open.

But, of course, you would have been completely understanding if they had delayed your flight when there were storms they "KNEW" were coming based on radar but never actually materialized? Probably not. They had luggage out in the open because they HAVE TO have "on-time" departures. Those are the stats that people see. Weather delays aren't considered (and neither is wet luggage), so they aim for what they are measured by.

Who knew??? Thanks for that info. Looks like another trip to WalMart this week.

I do tend to wrap my stuff in plastic. Why? I've had stuff break in someone else's bag and get on my bags. I'm just not taking that chance again. I don't need someone's else's liquid soaking my clothes. And we all know about those folks who feel the need to pack all those liquids when heading to WDW...anything to save a few bucks on water in WDW. Too bad if it breaks and soaks everyone else's luggage. So, now, I pack in ziploc baggies for the most part. Sometimes I just pack the who deal in a large trash bag and then tie it off before closing the piece of luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter