• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A little creepy

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
The other day I was on my phone looking at realtor dot com.
About an hour later I get a text from a number that I've never heard of that says "text me"
I googled the number and it comes up as belonging to a realtor 😲
We're not in the market to sell or buy so I haven't been in contact with anyone. I was just curious to see if the homes in our are have sold or if they're contingent

It is creepy. My son knocked my laptop onto the floor a few weeks ago. I almost immediately got a ding on my phone from Ebay with an ad for the exact same model computer. I'm sure it was a coincidence, but still.......

I was also talking to someone about a previous grad student we had working for us...next time I pulled up facebook she was the first "find friends" suggestion. I've literally never typed her name anywhere, nor do we have any mutual friends.

It is creepy. My son knocked my laptop onto the floor a few weeks ago. I almost immediately got a ding on my phone from Ebay with an ad for the exact same model computer. I'm sure it was a coincidence, but still.......

I was also talking to someone about a previous grad student we had working for us...next time I pulled up facebook she was the first "find friends" suggestion. I've literally never typed her name anywhere, nor do we have any mutual friends.
Yep. Facebook 'listens' to you through your phone. I've had similar things happen too many times for it to be a coincidence.

Our phones are listening to us and possibly reading our minds. The sheer number of ads that are on facebook or other sites that match what we were looking up, discussing, or thinking is too much of a coincidence.

Google mines your data like crazy, so does anything facebook. I use Telegram for all my IMing now and Thunderbird is good for checking email. I also keep Firefox as a browser just in case. The house also uses a VPN.

Last edited:
I get the popup ads but this was a text message directly to my phone.
How did he get my phone number from me searching the internet?

All information you place on the 'net is connected. Let's say you purchased a ....blanket on line and you entered a bit of personal info such as a telephone number (so they can contact you in case of an issue w/ delivery is a common reason given), your mailing and email addresses, etc. The info can be sold even if your c/c info is not.

Those sites that tell you they are using cookies are also collecting info on your interests; it's not just so they can help you shop on their site.

All information you place on the 'net is connected. Let's say you purchased a ....blanket on line and you entered a bit of personal info such as a telephone number (so they can contact you in case of an issue w/ delivery is a common reason given), your mailing and email addresses, etc. The info can be sold even if your c/c info is not.

Those sites that tell you they are using cookies are also collecting info on your interests; it's not just so they can help you shop on their site.
I was on realtor . Com. I never entered any info to that site.
Are you saying that because the site might use cookies that they can sell my phone number that I used to access the internet to realtors or anyone willing to pay?

Is it possible you hit the "ask a realtor" or contact a realtor" button by mistake? I hit the wrong darn things on the phone anytime I try to use it for web pages. Then the phone could have used the info you've entered other places to auto populate the phone number field on realtor .com.

Are you saying that because the site might use cookies that they can sell my phone number that I used to access the internet to realtors or anyone willing to pay?
Something like that. The link I embedded further up can explain it better as well as give ways to protect some of your privacy whether using a laptop or your cell phone.

super easy solution. Call the realtor and ask how they got your number

The other day I was on my phone looking at realtor dot com.
About an hour later I get a text from a number that I've never heard of that says "text me"
I googled the number and it comes up as belonging to a realtor 😲
We're not in the market to sell or buy so I haven't been in contact with anyone. I was just curious to see if the homes in our are have sold or if they're contingent
On an app or in a browser? If on an app for the site, then you've probably agreed for the app to see and send your phone number and your contact list to the website.

Our phones are listening to us and possibly reading our minds. The sheer number of ads that are on facebook or other sites that match what we were looking up, discussing, or thinking is too much of a coincidence.
I use my phone as a clock, calculator, unit converter, camera, and notepad at work. I never go on Facebook at work on my phone, but every day I go home and get on Facebook on the computer, all the ads are related to everything me and/or my coworkers had discussed throughout the day.

But the mind reading thing, well, I was out on a ride on the motorcycle and saw a VW GTI for sale in someone's yard. I slowed down to see if I could see a price on the sign, then went on my way. The ads on Facebook was all VW. That is creepy!

I have performed searches, and aside from now seeing ads related to the search, the next time I go on a news site I frequent, there are stories in the featured section about that same topic.

Others I know swear things they have talked about pop up in similar fashion.

I have performed searches, and aside from now seeing ads related to the search, the next time I go on a news site I frequent, there are stories in the featured section about that same topic.

Others I know swear things they have talked about pop up in similar fashion.

That's typical and is from cookies and from your web browser tracking your data. Even phone apps can have tracking hidden into them. They use it not just for marketing but to build an actual profile of you. See also:
https://www.wired.com/story/google-tracks-you-privacy/https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ures-iphone-but-beware-apps-watch/1492715001/https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-facebook-tracks-you-even-when-youre-not-on-facebook/
The methods I mention in my post above are good security for anyone. Telegram is free, easy, and does not track you. Firefox is a safe browser and a good way to know you aren't being ripped off (If you google products, flights, cars, or anything then sites will alter the price you see based on your interest. Switching browsers is a good way to double check quoted pricing.) A VPN is a virtual private network that essentially creates a private network from a public internet connection. I'd recommend everyone have one if you do any bills or financial management at home. I may sound paranoid but my hubs has worked IT in the past and while we've had family members hacked and scammed we never have. Extra caution is always a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter