A little advice please!! (or just reassurance!)

3DisMunchkins

Mouseketeer
I'm planning on a whim today and looking at booking a trip for Jan 2-6, but I'm now 2nd guessing myself. I haven't been to WDW since my girls were 2...they just turned 16 this week!!! I've always wanted to take them back but we've become DL regulars since it was so much easier as a single mom with 3 littles and much cheaper from Colorado! They LOVE DL and always want to go back, but this seems like a good opportunity to change it up.
I know almost nothing about WDW planning, although that may not matter now since it seems everything is different. We are not huge foodies...usually only do 1 or 2 ADRs on a 5 day trip, but I know that seems to be a bigger thing at WDW. Is it difficult to just eat on the fly?
How are wait times...we are huge fans of FP at DL and rarely wait too long?
Are there many things to do/see other than rides? Some of my favorites are always the shows and parades at DL.
Bottom line...are people who don't go all the time finding going during COVID surprisingly enjoyable or slightly disappointing? I no that no day at WDW would be disappointing but you know what I mean (hopefully!)
I have tons more questions about hotels, best parks and more, but I'll start with this and try to read as much as I can! Great use of a slow day at work :-)
Thanks!
Jana

I'm planning on a whim today and looking at booking a trip for Jan 2-6, but I'm now 2nd guessing myself. I haven't been to WDW since my girls were 2...they just turned 16 this week!!! I've always wanted to take them back but we've become DL regulars since it was so much easier as a single mom with 3 littles and much cheaper from Colorado! They LOVE DL and always want to go back, but this seems like a good opportunity to change it up.
I know almost nothing about WDW planning, although that may not matter now since it seems everything is different. We are not huge foodies...usually only do 1 or 2 ADRs on a 5 day trip, but I know that seems to be a bigger thing at WDW. Is it difficult to just eat on the fly?
Are there many things to do/see other than rides? Some of my favorites are always the shows and parades at DL.
Bottom line...are people who don't go all the time finding going during COVID surprisingly enjoyable or slightly disappointing? I no that no day at WDW would be disappointing but you know what I mean (hopefully!)
I have tons more questions about hotels, best parks and more, but I'll start with this and try to read as much as I can! Great use of a slow day at work :-)
Thanks!
Jana
For the foreseeable future due to Covid...
No parades.
No fireworks shows.
Virtually no stage shows.
No dinner shows.

The "rides" are virtually the primary current reasons to go to the parks.

Just noticed hours seem really reduced for the week of Jan2 also. Is this normal for the time of year, or COVID?
Any chances of them changing? We are usually rope droppers with a nap and close down DL on an 8-midnight day! I know the nap break aren't really feasible at WDW staying off site but 5 or 6 pm closing seem really early!

Thanks!
Jana
That sounds fun! I can't speak to how it is down there right now as I haven't been down since covid, but tentatively soon/ hopefully could be, along with my teen. My advice is use this time to do the experiences that are open, because you probably wouldn't do it all anyway in one day. The hotels, depends on your budget, but IMO none of them are horrible choices. And its so nice when you land at the airport, you don't have to do much but get your luggage, and go to the Magical Express. As far as food, I am pretty sure if you aren't picky and have patience you will eventually find a place to eat. And my advice also is to see all 4 parks.

Just noticed hours seem really reduced for the week of Jan2 also. Is this normal for the time of year, or COVID?
Any chances of them changing? We are usually rope droppers with a nap and close down DL on an 8-midnight day! I know the nap break aren't really feasible at WDW staying off site but 5 or 6 pm closing seem really early!
Its Covid hours. We plan to go early and stay all day or as long as we can hold out. I noticed you said you are staying offsite, so the Magical Express comment I made previously would not apply.

I will focus on the food aspect. I think eating at ADR's are a bigger thing at WDW. I love DL but there are so many more choices of places to eat at WDW. Great restaurants there. Look into the restaurants at Epcot. Each country has a restaurant and they are very good for the most part. HS has 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi Dine in which are both so much fun to eat at. AK also has some very good restaurants as well as the resorts. It is just so much fun to decide which restaurants to eat at. If you would rather eat on the fly though there are some great quick service restaurants as well. I would go on the Disney site and check out the menus to give you a better idea. Even though your teens enjoy DL they may enjoy the different things and parks that WDW has to offer.

They're COVID hours. Everyone has their own "wants" out of a Disney trip and right now the current operational status doesn't fulfill mine (park hopping, character meet and greets, parades, etc). I wouldn't stay off site though, I'd rather be in the resort guest park reservation bucket than the regular ticket bucket.

Thank you all!! I will definitely check out some of the restaurants. With the shortened hours it makes it less appealing to spend valuable park time in a restaurant. Are the hotel restaurants open later?
Can you go to them even if staying off site?

They're COVID hours. Everyone has their own "wants" out of a Disney trip and right now the current operational status doesn't fulfill mine (park hopping, character meet and greets, parades, etc). I wouldn't stay off site though, I'd rather be in the resort guest park reservation bucket than the regular ticket bucket.

Curious..what is the difference in the reservation buckets?

Thank you all!! I will definitely check out some of the restaurants. With the shortened hours it makes it less appealing to spend valuable park time in a restaurant. Are the hotel restaurants open later?

I believe some places in the parks are taking late reservations for that reason and the restaurants in the resorts will be open later. As long as you have a reservation you can visit the resort restaurants.

Second the thought of staying at an on-site Disney hotel. Unless of course there are non - negotiable reasons to why you are choosing an off-site hotel. But especially now I would much prefer to stay in the "bubble".

I would echo the thoughts of staying on site consider AoA, POP, or CBR to get benefit of sky liner. If your dates are not set in stone consider moving to jan 3 because there is a sale right now for those resorts for Jan 3 onwards.

2021 has to be better than 2020, and what a great way to start the year!

Is it difficult to just eat on the fly?
There are quick service options, but the options are pretty limited right now in the current environment. You also are required to mobile order through the app before you can enter the QS establishment. The only time we found availability issues was during the 12pm hour at DHS, and the more popular QS locations had mobile order windows for an hour out. So we had to either wait an hour to eat lunch, or pick from one or two places that you could mobile order from instantaneously. So, its not necessarily difficult to eat on the fly, but you will have limited options.

I know DL is known for their great QS, but that is not the case at WDW. Table service meals are more prevalent and well worth the effort, time and money to try. Use TS meals as a break for lunch mid-day, or schedule one at the very end of your park day so you aren't wasting park time.

No fast passes currently, so wait times can vary. Park opening will have the lowest waits. January is a slower time of year, so if it was anything like when we were there two weeks ago, headliners are generally 45-60 minutes with most other rides being in the 10-30 minute range. We found it manageable.

As PPs mention, not in the current environment. IMO, its not an optimal time for first timers to visit WDW because you are not getting the full experience. The shows, parades, and fireworks are some of the most impressive and special/memorable parts of a WDW trip.

January is a slow time of year. Also gets dark early. They typically always have shorter park hours during this timeframe, but the hours you're seeing have been pretty static since re-opening due to Covid. I would not expect them to be extended, although they have been extending on some weekend days when its projected to be busy. When we were there two weeks ago, we lacked for things to do in the evening with no park hopping and parks closing early. We visited Disney Springs several times, swam, had dinners at different resorts.

Speaking of Disney Springs, you'll be shocked at how significantly larger it is than DL's Downtown Disney. Definitely plan at least a night or two there.

Hotel restaurants may be open later and you can go to them no matter where you are staying. You will still need a reservation. Some resort dining options are currently closed, so definitely try to make reservations as soon as you can. You can also book a dining reservation close to park closing so you're not wasting time during operating hours. As I mentioned above, we enjoyed TS lunches two weeks ago and used that as our break since there wasn't enough time to go back to our resort for a mid-day break.

The reservation buckets mentioned refer to the priority given to resort guests for the required park reservations. There seems to be a larger pool of availability for those staying onsite to draw from, making it easier to book Hollywood Studios which tends to be the first park to book up.

A couple other things I would add:

-Keep in mind that WDW property is the size of the city of San Francisco. It takes time to get places, there's traffic, there's construction. Plan accordingly. It drastically different to DL in terms of convenience and ease of getting around.

-I also vote to stay on-site if you can swing it. Both from an immersive theming perspective as well as just a convenience perspective. Easier, shorter commutes and avoids parking fees and hassles. We never rent a car on-site because an on-site reservation includes airport transportation. We did find the limited capacity on the buses to be an issue on our recent trip, so we just used Uber those times instead.

-January in Florida can be downright cold. Layering is a must. It can be in the 30s and 40s in the mornings and evenings, but in the 70s mid-day when the sun is out. The majority of the queues right now are outside in the elements so you will want to be prepared for the weather. If swimming is important to you, be flexible with your schedule. Some days may be warm enough, other days may not be.

Here now. Everything is organized around Covid safety. Disneyland remains closed.... this is a company that is beyond cautious.

Half the restaurants are closed and the ones that are open have massively reduced seating to maintain social distancing. Even most of the quick service restaurants require mobile ordering. Eating on the fly can present challenges.

Rides vary. There is currently no fast pass. Headliners have very long waits. If you are looking forward to Rise of the resistance, boarding passes are typically gone in 5 seconds at 7 AM. Expect to stand on lines... carefully marked out to maintain social distancing.

Masks must be worn properly at all times. CMs patrol to make sure you comply. None of the under the nose wearing. Lots of signs and announcements that failure means immediate expulsion from the park.

I own DVC and have an annual pass. I come several times a year so I am willing to take it for what it is. It’s hard to tell whether that is where your head is at. Consider the cost which will be no less than you would normally pay and the limitations you will be under. A good time is possible if you are realistic. Things will not be massively different in January.

As PPs mention, not in the current environment. IMO, its not an optimal time for first timers to visit WDW because you are not getting the full experience. The shows, parades, and fireworks are some of the most impressive and special/memorable parts of a WDW trip.
I would second this. As Annual passholders for several years, my favorite thing is the fireworks - amazing and IMHO much better than the DL nightime shows (that we saw for first time summer 20190 To me, the fireworks, the shows, the parades are all the things that make it a theme park instead of an amusement park. Nevermind that you still many have to deal with quarantines on returning (that may or may not be in place now) . An of course, no memorable pictures with characters, and all your pictures will be with a mask

thanks for the tip about the specials starting on the 3rd. Unfortunately we have to be back by the 6th for school and that's already missing one day for my 13yr. Also coming from Colorado puts us noon getting to FL even leaving at 6am.
We could stay somewhere else the first night...hard to pay $255 for that first night at POP, but I'm guessing then we'd have to find alternate transportation from airport and change hotels.
hmmm...too many decisions!!

Last edited:
thanks for the tip about the specials starting on the 3rd. I assumed WDW would give that rate for the nights of the special even if trip starts on the 2nd. Is that not correct? Anyone make separate bookings?
In general, if you want to book a special resort rate, you must make that a specific booking during the time that the special is valid.
If you arrive (for instance) a day early, that might need to be a separate one-night booking at a "non-special" rate.

We could stay somewhere else the first night...hard to pay $255 for that first night at POP, but I'm guessing then we'd have to find alternate transportation from airport and change hotels.
Traditionally, yes.

In general, if you want to book a special resort rate, you must make that a specific booking during the time that the special is valid.
If you arrive (for instance) a day early, that might need to be a separate one-night booking at a "non-special" rate.

Traditionally, yes.

thanks...I went back and edited the previous post because I realized they were honoring the special rate on the other nights. It's just that the first night is soo high, it looked like it was not. the 2nd is $255 but the other nights are only about $120.
This might be a good choice for us.
Animation is about $100 more and Carribean and Coronado appx $250 more for the stay. Are there advantages to staying at one vs. the other? preferences?

So, I'm going to second the comments about are you sure you want to go during Covid?

Sounds like shows, parades, fireworks might be important to you - and those just aren't happening. Neither are FP's - it's all standby.

For AP holders, locals, regulars to WDW - hey - if they want to go right now even with Covid restrictions in place - sure - they understand what they are buying at the moment.

For infrequent visitors - and first-timers - well, okay - it's still your choice to go - but your girls are going to not get a true impression of all WDW usually has to offer.

Your money...... but given your love of shows and parades - I'd just suggest you think about that.

So, I'm going to second the comments about are you sure you want to go during Covid?

Sounds like shows, parades, fireworks might be important to you - and those just aren't happening. Neither are FP's - it's all standby.

For AP holders, locals, regulars to WDW - hey - if they want to go right now even with Covid restrictions in place - sure - they understand what they are buying at the moment.

For infrequent visitors - and first-timers - well, okay - it's still your choice to go - but your girls are going to not get a true impression of all WDW usually has to offer.

Your money...... but given your love of shows and parades - I'd just suggest you think about that.
I do agree with all of that. BUT.....once they turn 16, life travels at warp speed. Will you get the chance to come back at a better time? Or will senior year, college, etc creep up and you never find a good time to go? If you’re used to DL, half of WDW is still equal! From sheer volume of activities, I mean. But for a trip of that length, even with everything that’s missing, there will be plenty to keep you busy.

WRT your stay, I’d echo what others have said—don’t forget travel times. They can be significant and rope drop sounds important to you, esp with reduced hours. Definitely consider staying on property, and at least look at Swan and Dolphin, especially if you have Marriott points or are eligible for any discounts like teacher, health care, military, or government. You can walk to two parks from those (and other Epcot-area) hotels.

The biggest difference btw the three resorts is the beds. I think there are 4 of you - 1 adult, 3 almost adult kids (16 ish from first message) - how tall or big are you (Don’t answer, just think about how much bed room you each need)
CBR has 2 queen beds and a smallish pulldown (tall 12 yr old fits)
POP has a queen and a queen pulldown
AoA has two doubles in mermaid room

also the other consideration is transport
as you said a Disney resort includes free transport to resort and parks
skyliner base is at CBR so you can get in right queue for DHS or Epcot straight away
if you stay at AoA or POP you first take sky liner to CBR And then transfer to right queue for your park

for buses
at both AoA and POP there is one bus queue at the front of each resort for each park, very easy and generally very quick
at CBR there is a bus stop at each region and the bus traverses the resort before leaving to go to a park but you only need bus for AK and MK and DSprings

if you go to CBR (which while it cost more) I recommend as its my favorite of all those resorts, stay in Jamaica, it’s the first bus stop and closest to sky liner and not a long walk to food hall - my second favorite is AoA but I suspect you would want the queen beds at POP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter