A Guide to Taking it Easy at WDW. Oct 2014 Mother/Daughter Trip Updated 3/6x2 The End!

Pluto0809

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! Welcome to yet another of my TRs. If you have had the patience to follow me through all of my past TRs, welcome back. And if you are joining for the first time, welcome and I hope I don’t bore you too much. :rotfl: This will be the fifth TR I’ve written (well really six as the “Rock On” one details two separate trips). Three of them are listed in my signature if you care to go back. Unfortunately the first one I ever wrote is all messed up now because I moved the pictures around in my Photo Bucket account. I keep meaning to go back and fix the pictures but have never had the time. For now I’ve removed the link from my signature.

This trip was the second Mother/Daughter trip for me and my Mom. For the purposes of this TR she will just be “Mom” to protect her privacy. The first one was in 2012 and was over Christmas. Unfortunately that is the TR that is messed up. Here we are on that trip.

And here’s a picture from the current trip.

Mom and I have always been close but when my Dad passed away in 2007, we became traveling partners. She and Dad used to travel a lot so I have stepped in to fill that position. I’m married but my husband, Jim, doesn’t like to travel so he doesn’t mind me going with Mom. I also don't have any children which makes it much easier for me to travel with her. We both love Disney so obviously that is a destination we try to get to often. We were actually there in February of this year for my cousin’s wedding with a huge family group. Mom was slightly disappointed in that trip because we spent the first part of the week catering to family. When we finally had some time to ourselves, Mom came down with a stomach virus that was going around. So she really wanted a do-over. She had a week off from work in September and one in October. We decided on the October week because I was not able to get off of work in September.

A few details about the trip:

Dates: October 11th – 17th, 2014

Resort: Port Orleans French Quarter (new to both of us)

Dining: We did not have a plan because of my AP membership. We used my Tables in Wonderland card instead.

Before I move on, I guess I should explain the title a bit. We really ended up taking it very easy on this trip. I’ve talked about Mom’s health issues in some past TRs but here’s a quick summary if you haven’t read those. A couple of years ago, she started having some dizzy spells. She went back and forth between several doctors and was finally diagnosed with blood sugar issues at the beginning of the year. She was told to just eat small snacks in between meals. Unfortunately that is still not fixing the problem and she is planning on heading back to her doctor again. One of the things that causes her problems is standing for a long time in the heat. Well this trip was hot and crowded! If a ride had a wait time of more than ten minutes, we didn’t get in line. That meant we did not ride as many rides as usual and we ended up doing a whole lot of shopping and people watching instead. I always made sure she had a seat on the buses so sometimes that meant waiting for the next one and missing rope drop. All that being said, we still had a wonderful time although a very different trip than I am used to. Maybe it was me worrying about her or the heat but the relaxing and not rushing from ride to ride was perfectly fine with me this trip. Oh and unfortunately the laziness (and crowds) carried through to my picture taking. I ended up taking about half the normal pictures as I usually do.

Up Next: Step 1: Sit At the Orlando Airport Several Hours Before Boarding DME

Last edited:
Chapter Links

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Introduction
Step 1: Sit At the Orlando Airport Several Hours Before Boarding DME
Step 2: Hang in the Room Instead of Heading Straight to a Park
Step 3: Leave the Park Long Before Close

Sunday, October 12, 2014
Step 4: Sleep in and Throw Rope Drop Out the Window
Step 5: Spend All Afternoon in a Park and Only See One Show Part 1
Step 5: Spend All Afternoon in a Park and Only See One Show Part 2

Monday, October 13, 2014
Step 6: Have a Nice Leisurely Breakfast Before Heading to a Park
Step 7: Skip the Headliners and Do Character Greets Instead
Step 8: Spend Time Admiring the Pretty Fishes Part 1
Step 8: Spend Time Admiring the Pretty Fishes Part 2
Step 9: Drool Over the Chocolate Sculptures
Step 10: Spend an Afternoon Eating Around World Showcase

Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Step 11: Head to the Least Crowded Section of the Park at Rope Drop
Step 12: Take a Spin and Play Some Games
Step 13: Take a Stroll Through the Jungle Part 1
Step 13: Take a Stroll Through the Jungle Part 2
Step 14: Have Lunch With Some Old Friends
Step 15: Take a Two Week Long Safari Part 1
Step 15: Take a Two Week Long Safari Part 2
Step 16: Take Yet Another Stroll Through the Jungle
Step 17: Lounge Around Your Room for a Whole Evening

Wednesday, October 15, 2015
Step 18: Wait For a Second Bus So You Can Have a Seat
Step 19: Fly Through Air and Space
Step 20: Accept a Royal Invitation to Lunch
Step 21: Continue the Afternoon with More Princess Greets Part 1
Step 21: Continue the Afternoon with More Princess Greets Part 2
Step 22: Relax and Watch the Afternoon Parade Part 1
Step 22: Relax and Watch the Afternoon Parade Part 2
Step 22: Relax and Watch the Afternoon Parade Part 3
Step 23: Chill on a Bench on Main Street for Over an Hour
Step 24: Climb a Tree to Watch the Sunset Part 1
Step 24: Climb a Tree to Watch the Sunset Part 2

Thursday, October 16, 2015
Step 25: Have a Lazy Morning Shopping at DTD
Step 26: Eat Around the World Again

Last edited:
Mom lives up north while I am in Atlanta, GA so I always try to time our flights so we land about the same time. Well this trip I had an awful time coordinating our flights and as a result I had about 3 ½ hours to kill at the Orlando airport.

My flight took off at 8:30 am so that meant I had to leave for the airport around 6 am. I did manage to get to bed a little early the night before and was up at 4:30 am. We made it out the door right on time.

I’m glad I got to the airport early as it took me over a half hour to get through security. The Atlanta airport can be crazy at times. My flight was uneventful, I was on Southwest which does not have assigned seating but I checked in right at 24 hours prior and got to board in the first group. I got a window seat not too far back in the plane.

My flight was uneventful, I landed at 10 am which was a whole hour before my Mom even took off on her plane. Mom sent me a text and said she was having a breakfast sandwich and to make sure I ate something. I was hungry even though I ate breakfast before I left the house that morning. It really was a long time ago at that point. So I decided to be like a hobbit and have a second breakfast. I headed to Chick-Fil-A because I wanted some Chicken Minis. For those who do not have a Chick-Fil-A near them, a Chicken Mini is a small biscuit with a piece of chicken on it. They can be eaten in about two bites and come three in a container. Unfortunately, the Chick-Fil-A in the food court has a pretty limited menu so no Chicken Minis for me. Instead I decided to get a chicken and egg biscuit. This thing was huge!

And of course I couldn’t resist adding a side of hash browns.

The sandwich was very good although very, very messy. It fell totally apart on me and I ended up eating a lot of the egg with my fingers. At least I didn’t know anyone in the food court and hope I never see any of them again.

After I finished eating, I sat for a while and tried to get on Facebook on my phone. There were some auctions ending at 11 am that I was very interested in but unfortunately the wi-fi at the airport was very spotty. I gave up after a while and headed to the Earport for some shopping. It was pretty crowded so I didn’t stay long. After a quick trip through the Universal store to look at the Harry Potter stuff, I ended up finding a soft chair near the fountain and read for a long while. At 1 pm I headed into the nearest newsstand and bought a candy bar and bottle of water to snack on.

Mom was scheduled to land at 1:30 pm and I was waiting and waiting for a text to tell me she had arrived. I was planning to walk over and meet her as she came out of the secured area but once again the spotty service got us. She did text me when she landed but I didn’t get it till she was all the way out by the fountain and looking everywhere for me. We finally found each other and headed to the DME.

We were on the bus pretty quickly but very far back and I didn’t even take my camera out of my bag until we were in our room. We made stops at both Old Key West and Saratoga Springs before arriving at POFQ. Check in when very quickly and our room was ready. We took a few minutes to add a separate credit card to Mom's magic band so she could use it for charging.

I hadn’t put in a room request because the resort is very small but I probably should have. We ended up in building 7 in the farthest room away from the main building. We could almost see POR from our window. It felt like we walked forever to find the room. That being said, once we found a shorter route, it was still less than a 5 minute walk to the main building. POFQ is just a very small resort.

When we got to the room, I finally got out my camera to take some room pictures. I apparently started with the bathroom and worked my way back out.

As you can see in the next picture, we actually had a corner room which has two windows. The room was a slight bit bigger than a non-corner room. The only disadvantage of the corner room is that you loss the second mirror that is usually above the table.

Mom wanted to call my Great Aunt and check up on her. She is in her 80s and lives alone so Mom likes to call her several times a day to make sure she is ok. So I stepped outside and took a few pictures of our view. Here’s our room number in case anyone is interested.

Looking straight ahead, the horse drawn carriages came through that circle so we heard the clopping of hooves in the evenings.

Looking to the left and back towards the middle of the resort.

And off to the right, POR wasn’t too much further in that direction.

Up Next: Step Two: Hang In the Room Instead of Heading Straight to a Park

This is so wonderful! Looking forward to more. I just took an Alaska cruise with my Mom who is 83, and it's so wonderful to be a mom/daughter traveling team!

Damnit I am NEVER first :rotfl2: I'll take 2nd place Your picture taking skills are getting better and better I can almost " smell " that Chik-Fil-A

POFQ I don't think gets as much love from Dissers that always want POR I think FQ is much prettier. Nice corner room and as a side note thanks for taking bathroom pictures with the toilet closed I HATE pictures with that lid up

YAY glad you started! Sounds like it was definitely a different kind of trip, can't wait to hear all about it. Waiting at the airport must have been brutal, stinks that the wi-fi was so spotty. Your room looks really nice!

Can't wait for the rest of this TR! Loved the last one as well. We also love the Port Orleans resorts have stayed at both and we live the theming. We like french quarter because it's small but POR is our favorite when it comes to moderates.

Yay New TR! Looks like we passed each other along the way at the airport. DH had to come home from Afghanistan due to his mother falling at the nursing home she was at and ended up passing away. We decided last minute to get away and literally booked a room and booked a flight on Thursday and was in Orlando by 10:30am Friday! Maybe one day our paths will cross :)

I'm here! :wave2:

Great first update, though it sounds like you didn't have much to do while you waited at the airport. And I like the pictures of POFQ, I've never stayed there and while I doubt I ever will I still like seeing the theming! :goodvibes

Okay, I'm here, but I'll have to come back to read all about my favorite resort of all time! Loving the pics I've seen so far!

i'M HERE!!!! Thanks for the heads up!!! here before D!!! YAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOO

3 hours in an air port. I might have gone stir crazy! LOL!! the room is beautiful! sorry you were so far.

You and your Mom are so cute. I love you two are so close! cannot wait to hear your re-do!

Here Arianna.

I guess there are worse places to be stuck for 3 1/2 hours. :laughing:

Ah, that looks like my Disney travel snack. Oh so good.

It actually sounds like a great trip. Nothing wrong with taking it easy sometimes. :goodvibes

Better late than never!!!! I am here to follow along Ariana... Anxiously awaiting your verdict of our beloved FQ... :lovestruc

D~

Great start, I'm looking forward to hearing about your mother-daughter trip! I never had the chance to do that with my mom, but look forward to doing this with my own daughters!

Those chicken minis at Chick-fil-A (that the airport didn't have!) are the best ever--little buttery biscuits of goodness! :)

Okay, read everything so far. I agree with Mo that it is so nice you are so close with your mother. Yes, even the most distant room is close to everything pretty much. And we love the boat to downtown Disney!

It would have been hard for me to wait patiently in the airport when so close to Disney!! But, you do what you have to do.

My Mom had a bout of dizziness many years back and they couldn't do anything for her. It eventually went away as suddenly as it had come. But it took several months to do so. Hope your Mom gets some answers and some relief soon.

Can't wait to read more!

I'm here to read along!

I had no idea there was a Chick Fil A at the Orlando airport. I'll probably never fly through Orlando since we live so close, but I like to know where all the Chick Fil A's are because I almost always need a fix. As a matter of fact, I know where at least 2 are along the 2.5 hour drive to Disney, just in case. :thumbsup2

The view from outside your room was very nice. We love POFQ but we haven't stayed in Building 7 yet. We are at POR for our trip next month.

Looking forward to following along on your adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter