A general question about timeshare presentations

Mercy

<font color="blue">never been tagged ... until now
I have never been to any of the TS pesentations in Orlando, but have done a few elsewhere. I have also listened to your horror stories on these boards about the high pressure sales pitch.

Anyway, my question is... do you think you can really pressure anyone into purchasing a TS who really isn't interested in the first place? I know for my DH and myself, we had no intention of purchasing no matter what kind of sales tactics they used. I guess, I'm thinking people either have an interest or not. I would not think you could force someone to buy, but then maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

They will use "fuzzy" math to make you think you are wasting money by traveling the way you do. Just be prepared for it and be strong. They might get frustrated and you'll see the "boss" a few times but just stay strong and you'll be fine.

of COURSE, they can, Mercy.That's what they're trained to do! :D

Their job is to make it sound attractive, affordable and the only way to go.

I, personally, am not a "timeshare" person because I get lots of deals and perks from my company, one and I don't ever stay at the same TYPE of place twice. I hope from hotel to condo to vacation home to friends home and back. Variety is my spice of life and I don't usually have to pay much for it, thank goodness. And since I am basically "salesperson PROOF" (I work with a staff of 20 who try me EVERYDAY :rolleyes: I thought I was totally safe.

NOT!

I actually THOUGHT about it after one of the many offers they through at me!! They know how to make it VERY attractive.

Stay strong like jeff said, and don't let them bedazzle you with the fuzzy math. I just kept repeating to myself the INTEREST rate they were charging... :earseek: ... there was NO way I could cave into that!

Boy do I agree with Robinrs...some people are able to play the timeshare game and win, but it is pretty dangerous. My brother and sister-in-law once bought two weeks of a timeshare in their own town! (not Orlando)

We were once given $100 to make a tour at the Marriott in Kauai. Although we were able to resist - due to the fact that we have more than 1.25 million Marriott points and get upgraded to ocean views - it was still a tempting and well-done presentation. My husband kept pointing out (to me) that the price of a week times 52 weeks was WAY more than the unit was worth (if you were buying it as a residence).

On the other hand, if you've resisted before, you'll probably be fine. If you are even the least bit tempted, check out the secondary market as well as eBay. There are lots of resources out there now.

They don't physcially twist your arm, but they try just about everything else.

We went into a spiel at Hilton Grand Vacations in Las Vegas --- the plan was to sit thru it and then politely say "no thanks." Well, we ended up signing on the dotted line.

We do not regret it because it really does work out extremely well for us, and a friend we referred did the same thing (planned on saying no, ended up buying, paid cash up front so the "interest rate" was a non-issue for her) and it's working great for her too --- maybe we are a rare breed, I don't know.

It really depends on the type of program being hocked (I'd never buy into a TS that required me to stay at the same location, for the same week of the year, ever year), and your personal vacationing needs (if you are like Robinrs where you get company perks, stay with friends, etc. then it just may not work for you).

I can answer questions about HGVC, but I know about as much as you do regarding other TS programs.

If you are thinking of Westgate - guess what - 80% of the people who buy from them - were not even looking at timeshares. Say NO!!!

also if you ever really want to buy a timeshare - go to the resale market. 50% less than developers prices.

Also NEVER buy in the Orlando market - too many are there. (okay Disney Vacation club are exceptionally - Disney kepts the price up - they resale for close to the developers price). besides people who love Disney buy at DVC and they don't trade often. I certainly would never consider (at this time) selling my DVC.

We did the presentation at Vistana Village last week. I know that someone could not convince me to buy something that I did not want. It is just not in our nature. We did the tour because we were given $100 to do it. We could also do it first thing in the morning.

Starwood owns VV. They also own Sheraton and Westin among other hotel chains. We made the appointment ourselves after considering the offer to do so from earlier in the week. We were there for 10 nights and just decided that it would be stupid to pass on $100.

We own a Disney timeshare with Hilton Head as our home resort. We bought this through a resale not directly from Disney. It is not a deeded property. The Vistana Village is a deeded property.

We had a continental breakfast on VV at 7:30 am. We told the salesperson upfront that we owned a DVC "timeshare" and had no immediate plans to purchase. He gave us an abbreviated run through of Starwood's program. Having some knowledge of the timeshare business kept things moving. We actually had a good time. We were back in our VV condo by 8:45 am and on our way to a park by 8:50 am....$100 cash richer.

I would encourage to folks to stay at VV a heartbeat. It would then be their own decision as to whether they should take in the timeshare presentation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter