• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Few Post Trip Thoughts

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
We just got home today. 😓 I want to post a few good, bad, and ugly thoughts.

The Good:
1. The TMs! So friendly and helpful for the most part. A standout was one of the Wand Keepers at Ollivanders. My DD11 was determined to keep going through until she got picked (both siblings have been picked now). I was going to let her go 2 or 3 times and put the kabash on it. The 2nd time through both she and a little boy thought the wand keeper had picked them. Of course the wand keeper went with the younger child in that case. It was a small showing - only 3 or 4 families. As we were filing out, he pulled her aside and asked if she had a wand. She admitted she did. He asked to see it, told her it had a phoenix feather core, and that she was destined to have a great life. In all the shows I've seen, I've never seen a Wand Keeper interact with anyone other than the kid picked before. It was so magical and kind and after that she was fine with not trying to get picked again. I'm going to go send an email to guest services thanking him. If there's a TM shout out FB or twitter page or some other way for me to recognize him, let me know.
2. Hagrids was awesome. They hit a homerun with that theme-wise and family thrill wise. The rest of the fam has a strong preference for the bike but I like both. I really hope they get the reliability issues worked out soon.
3. The crowds, while definitely above average, were not nearly as big as the same days leading up to Thanksgiving as last year. Last year Mon and even more so Tues were packed. Not as much this year. Great for me, not so much for Uni.
4. I'm am continually impressed with the level of theming. It is really extraordinary. I can still sit in DA and see new things I haven't noticed before. We stayed at Portofino this year and all the money that went into painting it to look distressed and like the buildings are separate is crazy. My kids agree that Universal surpasses Disney on theming.
5. The Mythos Fork, Knife, and Spoon grilled cheese is fantastic! It's one of the few park meals I've had at Uni or Disney where I actually remember what I had and thought, man, I really have to go back for that. This is the second time I've had it and the presentation wasn't as nice this year, but it was still fantastic, creative comfort food.

The Bad:
1. What's with the less attention to cleanliness? Even though crowds weren't as bad as last year, I twice went into bathrooms and there was no toilet paper in the stalls. On multiple occasions I had to walk past the nearest trash can because it was full. I don't remember that in previous years.
2. The sit down restaurants are slow. I don't think this is a Uni thing because it's this way at Disney too. I book sit down dinners/lunches because I want the higher quality of food, not because I want to spend 90 minutes sitting in a restaurant. But that seems to be a cultural thing (life long Midwesterner) - there tend to be a lot more complaints about restaurants pushing people out than being too slow.
3. A lot more things (besides Hagrids) seemed to be delayed, down, broken. Maybe I just didn't notice it last year but a lot of rides had late starts and break downs while we were there.

The Ugly:
1. This one pains me. My poor beautiful Hogwarts Express desperately needs a cleaning and painting. It really looks dingy and possibly even rusting. One morning there was so much dirt you could see streaks of it down the side. I really don't remember this being the case the last few years. Maybe we just caught it at a bad time and they plan to give it some TLC after Thanksgiving but it's surprising to me. I also noticed broken and missing shutters at Portofino. This, along with the cleanliness issues and break downs makes me fear a Disney inspired reduction in standards for the sake of higher margins. Again, hopefully I just caught things at bad times. It is way too beautiful a resort to let things go.

We just got home today. 😓 I want to post a few good, bad, and ugly thoughts.

The Ugly:
1. This one pains me. My poor beautiful Hogwarts Express desperately needs a cleaning and painting. It really looks dingy and possibly even rusting. One morning there was so much dirt you could see streaks of it down the side. I really don't remember this being the case the last few years. Maybe we just caught it at a bad time and they plan to give it some TLC after Thanksgiving but it's surprising to me. I also noticed broken and missing shutters at Portofino. This, along with the cleanliness issues and break downs makes me fear a Disney inspired reduction in standards for the sake of higher margins. Again, hopefully I just caught things at bad times. It is way too beautiful a resort to let things go.

We are going in late April. I was looking at rates for Portofino and got a message that the buildings would be undergoing renovations while we were there. So hopefully the broken shutters are one of the things they plan to refurbish.

We are going in late April. I was looking at rates for Portofino and got a message that the buildings would be undergoing renovations while we were there. So hopefully the broken shutters are one of the things they plan to refurbish.

That’s good to hear! It really is beautiful. I love the energy in the harbor area at night.

It is painful for me to hear Universal may be cutting back on park maintance too.

I hope this is just a glitch in scheduling the right number of people to do the job.

But I fear it is the ways things are going.

I think food service is uneven and depends on a lot of factors. We were stunned at how fast our food came at Antojito's in City Walk a few weeks ago. We ordered a drink and fajitas for 2 and the food came quickly after the drinks! I had made a reservation for 7:15 (parks closed at 7) so it was just starting to fill up. We ate at Lombard's the night before, after the Christmas parade and had time after to catch the Hogwart's Express to see the nighttime lights on Hogwarts castle before 8. That was a more leisurely dinner but even with dessert I think it was less than 90 minutes.

That’s my hope too. They have a lot going on right now with new rides and new park. They didn’t skimp on the theming in Hagrids so it makes no sense to let other things fall into disrepair. I’m hoping things are just due and we happened to be the people who came at the time right before the repairs.

The Good:
I'm going to go send an email to guest services thanking him. If there's a TM shout out FB or twitter page or some other way for me to recognize him, let me know.

I think you can just tweet at @UniversalORL with or without the hashtag, #UOFistBump. They usually acknowledge your tweet and say they will recognize the TM in some way.

I love your story about the wand keeper. I have a DD who will probably feel the same way on our next trip, now that she's old enough to go to Hogwarts. She has seen her sister get picked and her brother decline the honor. She has a wand but would love to feel like it's as special as her sister's wand. It would make her so happy to have the wand keeper talk to her like that.

As for the Hogwarts Express, I think I'll just imagine that the real HE would be a bit dirty at times, but I hope that they aren't slacking on park maintenance and cleaning.

I'm here now and agree with a lot of the OP. Lots of great things but they are slipping in a few areas. I'll write more when I get home next week, but in general the service at the restaurants has been spotty. Past few years at Thanksgiving, Universal was outstanding at just about everything. But this year garbage overflowing, poor service at some of the City Walk restaurants. Still love it here though. Great way to spend the holiday.

I think you can just tweet at @UniversalORL with or without the hashtag, #UOFistBump. They usually acknowledge your tweet and say they will recognize the TM in some way.

Excellent! Thank you. I sent an email to GS this morning. I’ll check out Twitter later.

I love your story about the wand keeper. I have a DD who will probably feel the same way on our next trip, now that she's old enough to go to Hogwarts. She has seen her sister get picked and her brother decline the honor. She has a wand but would love to feel like it's as special as her sister's wand. It would make her so happy to have the wand keeper talk to her like that.

As for the Hogwarts Express, I think I'll just imagine that the real HE would be a bit dirty at times, but I hope that they aren't slacking on park maintenance and cleaning.

I’ve never seen the wand keeper talk to anyone other than the person picked so it’s really cool that he did that for her. I hope your daughter gets picked.

So, it isn't just me about the HE. I've been to the parks the past last two weekends back to back and I noticed the HE looked a little out of it. I wouldn't say streaks (didn't get that close), however, it looked more dirtier, perhaps murky would be a good word? I wouldn't say run down, but it looked like it had more years on than it actually has. Since I just renewed my pass I thought, well maybe I'm forgetting things. I kept thinking to myself, "Well it can't look brand new, it's the HE. It's been through a lot. It has to have age-- history." Which I do recall it's never been exact pristine condition, but seems so different within two years.

The black part of the HE has always been really worn and streaky and dirty looking.

5d06ddd7daa4823d4a579743

The black part of the HE has always been really worn and streaky and dirty looking.

5d06ddd7daa4823d4a579743

The dirt streaks that I saw were specifically on the red parts of the cars. The coal car with the seal on it was clean but not the passenger cars. Maybe they’ve always been that way and I don’t remember or I just caught it at a bad time. In looking at your picture (not sure how old it is) it looks like the black ‘soot’ on the top of the engine has always been there. I didn’t remember that.

Never said it was specifically just the black part. Looking at my photos (from a couple of years ago) that part has always looked that way. It's even more prominent in mine as I like to bring out the colors in my photos.

I didn’t take photos, but these two were from a couple of years ago.

As I said previously, I've willingly stated it's never been pristine. Just stating, the whole HE itself just appeared a lot more dirtier than what I remember seeing previously. I do not know how often trains are traditionally washed in reality, but I doubt it happens regularly. So for authenticity reasons it’s for the best. I just wanted to point out that I had that thought of it too last time I was there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter