• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Few More COVID Testing Embarkation Questions

zebsterama

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered on the boards but I can't find the answer -- and calling DCL and Inspire phone lines are impossible.

Here are some questions I'm hoping someone can please answer.
FYI we are sailing via the WISH / Port Canaveral August 15

Q1. According to inspire - patrons can get tested at the port for $74 USD (or something like that) ... is this true? .Can our family get tested at the port on the day of sailing?

Q2. If yes, you can chose to get tested at the PORT / terminal / day of sailing, does this require an appointment, or do you just show up at your allotted check in time and get tested in the terminal somewhere?

Q3. If you need to book an appointment to get tested at PORT/terminal, do you recommend waiting to first choose your check in time and then book your COVID test appointment?

We are in a weird situation -- we are Canadian, there are 9 of us, we will be in the USA for a few days prior to our sail date at Universal Studios (so we can't use pharmacy testing services from Canada before entering the USA due to timing) -- so our testing situation is up in the air.

We've used Walgreens for a past Disney trip to get back home to Canada - so we are aware of that option -- but booking 9 people and taking time away from Universal may not be in the cards/possible - hence our questions. If we are going to pay for testing anyway - we'd prefer to choose the easy day of option.

Any other advice / experience is warmly welcomed!

Thank you!

Q1. Yes, you can get tested at the port. If the initial test is inconclusive, a followup PCR test will be done and that one is $125 plus tax.
Q2. No appointments necessary. Just arrive at your selected Port Arrival Time (PAT) and you if you didn't upload pre-cruise test results, you will be automatically tested.

Q1. Yes, you can get tested at the port. If the initial test is inconclusive, a followup PCR test will be done and that one is $125 plus tax.
Q2. No appointments necessary. Just arrive at your selected Port Arrival Time (PAT) and you if you didn't upload pre-cruise test results, you will be automatically tested.

Appreciate this info ... but I heard that testing is no longer free? Are you saying your first paid test is $74 USD for an antigen test, and if that one is inconclusive (or positive I'm guessing) - you do a follow up PCR test for $125 USD?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks

Appreciate this info ... but I heard that testing is no longer free? Are you saying your first paid test is $74 USD for an antigen test, and if that one is inconclusive (or positive I'm guessing) - you do a follow up PCR test for $125 USD?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks
That is the current process. Testing is no longer free. If you opt for testing at embarkation, the first test administered is antigen costing $74. If that test is positive or inconclusive, a second test (PCR) will be administered which costs $125. Hopefully you only need the first test.

Alternatively, you may want to considered doing an online (telehealth) proctored test 2 days prior to embarkation. That can be done at your convenience from your hotel room. Some folks have used free testing kits provided by the government (both US and Canada) or you can buy kits at local pharmacies. I honestly would be leery about spending several days at Universal and then testing at the port...

Can we use our local medical clinic for testing before we head two days before we cruise?

I’ve got my 90 day exemption information that I’ll submit, but DH needs to get tested. I’ve got him an appointment to get tested on Thursday morning before our Saturday cruise.

As far as testing at the port goes - just be aware that the price that people have mentioned above is per person. So if there are two of you sailing, you need to double that.

I would suggest a telehealth proctored test, like eMed or Onpoint. I have not used either of these, but people on my cruise social media group have used them to cruises and entrance into the US, when that was required. I bought the eMed tests before we tested positive for covid. Plan to use this for our son, who is still negative.

Yes, as long as you'll have results you can upload to SafePassage by midnight before embarkation.
Can I assume that if we get tested at Walgreens via a NAAT test / drive through - that's acceptable correct?

We're planning to set up some times at Walgreens near Universal and renting a car at the Royal Pacific for the day 8-) ... it's quite economical considering there are 9 of us. I will be a few trips -- but such is life.

We've decided to sacrifice a few hours at Universal to get that done.

By the way - thanks for everyone's response!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter