A few DLR observations from a WDW regular.

I will give you weather. Weather out here was perfect, and I will happily warn the WDW weather can be a trip killer.

We did see Fantasmic, from some great seating at Liberty Tree Tavern. The show was much better than when we saw it at Hollywood Studios.

Would you suppose that Roger Ebert likes movies, even though he spends his days sorting the good from the bad and the good and bad points present in each? Both resorts are expressions of one man's vision. To the extent that most of the DL rides and many of the DCA rides have a WDW counterpart. I think that pointing out areas where one side excels while the other falls short is fair. I can recall at least one recent thread on the WDW side where a lifetime DL veteran was unsure what to expect on their trip to WDW.

Think about it from the other side of the coin. In the hundred or so days I have spent in the WDW parks over the last 10 years the reliability of certain expectations solidified them into constants. Within the first few days at WDW you realize that you have never seen a trashed bathroom or a pile of trash along a ride queue railing or gum stuck to the underside of said railing; it's actually a little shocking. So you start to pay attention to those things and sure you find an occasional wad of gum or bit of trash but then you think just how incredibly rare those digressions are and it shocks you again. Even during the busiest day of the year I can walk into any bathroom in the WDW parks knowing there is a seat clean enough to sit on behind the first stall door I open. If I have to shop for a stall in WDW I'm shocked, I let someone know, and 10 minutes later it's fixed.

I never said Disneyland wasn't magical. Only that if a comparison should be made, it is less so than WDW. And I know it sounds very 'first world problems' to critique the 'magicalness' of one park over another. I choose that adjective only because it is the common positive descriptor used within Disney properties.

Just to give a visual on what I'm describing here. This is the waste basket in the Carthay Circle Restaurant in DCA. Really one of the nicest restaurants on any Disney property. Better than Hollywood Brown Derby all around and the food was as good as the Yachtsman or California Grill even if the menu was less ambitious. We had their first reservation of the day, an 11:30 AM lunch. We bought a seating package for the Frozen show but the menu prices for our lunch came to $64 per person. Just to be clear, the place had just opened...
View attachment 298893

My wife said the bin in the ladies room was just as bad. Worse, I mentioned the problem to someone on the floor there and it was still like this 20 minutes later.
Now... all I'm saying is that from the perspective of someone who frequents Orlando Disney a lot, this is shocking.

Before I went to WDW 5/2016 I had been reading posts about how dirty Walt Disney World was becoming. Before we enter the park on our first day I saw that first hand in the bathrooms outside animal kingdom. I saw more and more every day and I took some pictures of my own. These are in Tom Sawyer‘s Island and outside Splash
Mountain.

6B81A54E-B9E8-4B26-AD64-14F8F112A534.png 3FEFF337-6759-4AFE-9ED8-9FF58E80F589.png

Let’s just agree they both have room to improve.

I would suggest that if the OP has serious complaints about his recent trip to DLR, that he send in a comment listing the problems in detail. (Use the "contact us" link on the DLR webpage.) Note dates, times (if possible), CMs (names if possible or descriptions and locations), restroom locations and time of day, etc. Issues cannot be addressed if management doesn't know or hear about them. Complaining here isn't the same thing as letting Disney know directly.

When there is trash on the floor it's because someone or several someones put it there. It's not an indication of how well the cleaning staff functions but of the manners of the individuals who commit these types of acts. The cleaning staff does not put the trash there. There is not one cleaning person in each restroom at all times, so if people throw trash on the floor sometimes there will be trash on the floor until a cleaning person sees it and can pick it up. How nice it would be if people did not throw things on the floor and the cleaning staff could concentrate on cleaning rather than picking up trash that some individuals did not dispose of properly.

When there is trash on the floor it's because someone or several someones put it there. It's not an indication of how well the cleaning staff functions but of the manners of the individuals who commit these types of acts. The cleaning staff does not put the trash there. There is not one cleaning person in each restroom at all times, so if people throw trash on the floor sometimes there will be trash on the floor until a cleaning person sees it and can pick it up. How nice it would be if people did not throw things on the floor and the cleaning staff could concentrate on cleaning rather than picking up trash that some individuals did not dispose of properly.
Disney knows their customers make messes. It's on them to make sure it gets cleaned up in a timely fashion.

The thing is everyone has had their own experiences. OP saw these issues at DL and some people here are saying they've seen the same things at WDW. I'm a WDW vet and have been to DL twice and cant wait to go back to DL but I've seen similar issues at both locations. WDW can get filthy and so can DL and I don't fault the parks or employees for this because ultimately its the guests that are the ones being nasty. Are they really supposed to stand in the restrooms and just stay there for their entire shift cleaning non stop? Some people like the sporadic meat and greets and some people like it to be more structured. Also sometimes the parks just have "off" days.I'd say give it another chance.

One thing I will agree with OP about though is the CMs. I used to read that the CMs are super friendly and way better at DL then at WDW but a lot of the ones we encountered seemed more...casual? Not rude or anything close to that but not so overly chipper like we usually see at WDW. I chalked it up to the fact that it seems like more people who work there are locals whereas it seems that WDW has more people who are from around the US and abroad? So maybe its more of a whatever job to the DL employees but at WDW they traveled further to work there so that means they reallly like Disney and are more happy to work there? Just a weird theory I had that probably makes no sense. I'll go home now.

One thing I will agree with OP about though is the CMs. I used to read that the CMs are super friendly and way better at DL then at WDW but a lot of the ones we encountered seemed more...casual? Not rude or anything close to that but not so overly chipper like we usually see at WDW. I chalked it up to the fact that it seems like more people who work there are locals whereas it seems that WDW has more people who are from around the US and abroad? So maybe its more of a whatever job to the DL employees but at WDW they traveled further to work there so that means they reallly like Disney and are more happy to work there? Just a weird theory I had that probably makes no sense. I'll go home now.
That theory makes sense, but another factor might be different culture on the two coasts. I haven't been to WDW so I can't make a comparison about the differences from experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if the CM's at DL are more "casual" like you say, and that that is normal behavior for people working with the public on the West Coast but might be perceived as a lack of enthusiasm by those from farther East. I grew up on (or rather near) the West Coast, and in general I prefer when people I encounter in the service industry talk to me casually like they know me. It makes it feel like they actually enjoy talking to me as opposed to them putting on a corporate face because they have to. I realize it's basically an act either way, but I prefer not to be reminded that these are "employees" rather than "helpful people". Maybe that's a prevailing preference in the area, and therefore what the DL CM's are catering to. Or maybe it's just me. Of course, in instances of downright rudeness, that's another issue.

We’re at WDW now and DH and I both agree we prefer DLR. We’re west-coasters, but distance isn’t the main issue. We just find DLR more magical and a more carefree vacation. We’ve been to WDW close to 20 times and all the planning that’s now involved is such a buzz kill.

Yes! While both parks have cut back on cleaning staff, it’s hard to keep restrooms clean when most people today behave like entitled pigs.

First off, like most of you, I love Disney. I never would have guessed that I would be one of those 'Disney People' but there it is. We go to WDW at least once a year with the kids. The wife and I pop down when schedules permit. If I found myself alone in Orlando I would probably stop in to visit the mouse al by my lonesome ... my god...

Anyway... Wife and I hit the DLR parks a year ago and had a sort of 'meh' reaction. But there were a ton of closures at the time so I held my tongue. We just got back from another trip out to Disney Worlds's western relation and I have to say my piece.

It's a less magical vacation.

Sure, there are a couple rides at DL that beat the WDW version and some great rides without a Florida peer. Not really the scope of this missive to go into that. Instead, here's a short list of a few of the things that raised my hackles a bit.
  1. It's dirtier. I'm not exactly saying it's dirty. But compared to the WDW parks it's dirtier. I have seen trash and garbage on the sidewalks so often on my DLR trips now that I stopped counting. More than that, I stopped pointing it out to the cast because even when I do, say on my way into a ride, it's still there 20 minutes later!
  2. Kind of a subset of earlier point ... the bathrooms are dirtier. Again, not horrible, just not what I've come to expect. In one case it was pretty shocking, and remained so even 15 minutes after I had let a CM know.
  3. CMs for the most part are great, but I've been told, "no" at DLR a few times and have witnessed single finger pointing on this trip. I know ... clutch my pearls. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's less magical and it says something about the overall management dicipline
  4. Sort of like #3, ride CMs seem less "into" their roles. None of the Nemo submarine ride CMs faked an Aussie accent. The HM CM at the fastpass reader actually told us, "Have fun!" in the cutest chipper happy voice you ever heard, and she was not doing so ironically.
  5. The Character MnG system is a real pain. I get it, a line makes things less magical for some people. Nostalgia reminds us when the characters would just wander freely. But what we have in DLR is mob rule, 5 second photo-ops.
I know people have fun comparing the two resorts and there's a lot of cool things at DLR that you can't see and do at WDW. But this was my 2nd try and I have no desire to go back.
We visited DLR for the first time in November after many WDW visits, and it was not dirty or dirtier than WDW at all.

We have visited the Parks when everything was spotless and clean and all the CMs acted as if they had just received a nice pay raise and truly were enjoying their jobs. B U T, we have also visited the parks when there was trash all over the place and the CMs were not the happiest people on earth. Deal with it folks! Just because the CMs are not in the best of moods, don't let it ruin your trip. They have good and bad days like everyone else. :charac2:

Yes! While both parks have cut back on cleaning staff, it’s hard to keep restrooms clean when most people today behave like entitled pigs.
I have never heard this. How do you know this is the case?

:wizard:

We have visited the Parks when everything was spotless and clean and all the CMs acted as if they had just received a nice pay raise and truly were enjoying their jobs. B U T, we have also visited the parks when there was trash all over the place and the CMs were not the happiest people on earth. Deal with it folks! Just because the CMs are not in the best of moods, don't let it ruin your trip. They have good and bad days like everyone else. :charac2:
I think you missed the point. The OP was saying DLR is less clean than WDW and had photos to back up his/her conclusion. Others who have visited both DLR and WDW have not found this to be true (including yours truly) and some folks posted photos to support this - including photos of dirty restrooms at WDW.

Similarly for CMs at DLR vs. WDW.

I do not think anyone in this thread is saying that CMs should always be perfect or parks should always be spotless.

:wizard:

I visit WDW pretty regularly and have visited DLR a couple times over the last few years (another DLR trip coming in the next month!). I wouldn't say I noticed any difference in cleanliness, but I did think the the CMs at DLR were actually a bit more engaged than those at WDW. Mind you, I didn't think it was a big difference and certainly less than "normal" differences between individual CMs.

In terms of Meet and Greets, my kids have never been too interested in them, so I find the roaming characters in DL to be much better as without that, we wouldn't have any interaction.

Hope your disappointment didn't put a downer on your trip. We've been to WDW once and last August we did our first DL trip. Love them both for different (proximity, rides) and same reasons (magic at both).

It's funny as I never noticed any of your comments at DL, but now that I think of it, I do remember coming back from WDW and thinking how spotless everything was...never saw garbage on the ground, etc. So for me, DL is totally good in terms of cleanliness but WDW stood out.

Don't remember any issues or disappointment with CMs at either location (and only exception was a photopass photographer at WDW at the Haunted Mansion on Halloween night as he was rude and abrutpt...and even our picture turned out horrible)

I live in the midwest, so both are, unfortunately, far enough away that we can get to only one per year. I like reading these types of posts and seeing other's perspectives. I grew up going to WDW, and took my first ever trip to DLR for the Diamond Celebration. I fell in love instantly! In fact, I can't even decide which coast is my favorite, as I have too much I love about each. I won't bore anyone with my whole lists, but at this point if WDW didn't have Epcot, DLR would likely win.

I also have to say my BFF and I went in January. Even with the refurbs and shortened hours we had a fantastic time and probably couldn't come up with a complaint even if we tried. I think some of it comes down to expectations. I plan like crazy and knew we would have more rides down, but less crowds and AMAZING weather! I also work in the complaints department at a call center so when I go on vacation, I'm pretty easy to please! ANYTHING is better than being at work!

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I think your experience has a lot to do with your mind set before even entering the parks. Flexibility is the key.

I was in DL and DCA on Jan 19-21, 2018. I was actually commenting to my family on how clean everything was. We used several bathroom throughout the parks and they were spotless. Those tiny bins get filled up with paper pretty quickly and I was amazed by several guests dropping there trash on the floors. My daughter took it upon herself to clean up after the piggies while we were there. She's 14.

For the first time my daughter and friend wanted to meet characters. I have never wanted to do that outside a character meal but it was fantastic. Maybe we were just there at the perfect times but we met Evil Queen, Moana, Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Mary Poppins, Bert all with barely a 10 minute wait. If we ran across a character and the line was long we simply skipped it. We also stood in a 5 minute line for Tinkerbell and twice went to see the Princesses, 10 minute waiting time tops.

But what really made our trip fantastic was the cast members. Every single one we met up with was super friendly, helpful and made our time there magical. We stopped to get some hand sanitizer out of my bag by the entrance to Pixie Hollow and 2 cast members walked up and started talking to us out of the blue. They were so nice and talked all about there time in the Disney College Program with us.

If you are looking for the negatives you are sure to find them wherever you go.

That said it's OK to have a favorite.

Lots of great points have been made already. I just wanted to add my own observations about human nature, based on my experience and how personal bias figured into my reactions.

I have only been to WDW once. My family and I went and had a great time. My kids loved everything but Magic Kingdom, and we all had the same negative reaction there. It wasn't because it lacked anything, wasn't as clean, CMs weren't as friendly, rides weren't as good, etc etc. It boiled down to the fact that we had a personal bias to prefer our home park. I think this is a human nature thing and why we often feel compelled to enter into a competetive mode without even realizing it. When it finally dawned on me what I was doing, it was already the end of my trip and I've not been back to try and erase that mental bias from my thinking. I'm not sure it's completely possible, but if/when I go back, I going to try not to play the compare game because I already know who would win.

My other comment is that where CMs are concerned, or anyone in the service industry for that matter, their treatment of you will often mirror what they receive. If you are happy, smiling, outgoing, and friendly, that is almost invariably what you will get from a CM. Not always, particularly when CMs are feeling the stress of large crowds, multiple closures, and things of that nature, but I have made it a point to be friendly and happy with CMs and they almost always respond in kind. I guess it's good to be aware of the vibe you are sending out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter