A Fear of Hurdles

DisGirlAllie

DIS Veteran
Let me preface this by saying that I am not athletic. I'm not a runner. And I am most definitely not in shape.

And yet, Saturday night, I registered for this sucker:

148.jpg

I can sense your shock. Believe me, I feel it too. Yet there's this small part of me going "hey, stupid, you can do this. You. Can. Do. It." This small part of me was apparently big and strong enough for me to not only register, but for me to convince my dad to do it with me. So, $320 later, I'm officially signed up.

I've said it above, but I'm not a runner. I did track for a little bit in elementary school but I never really enjoyed it. Any time running was mentioned in gym, I would cringe so severely you'd think I'd been electrocuted or struck by lightning (though, to be fair, running in gym usually involves the pacer test and this exercise-induced-asthma-chick is not a fan). This is not, of course, to say that I can't run; it's in my blood. I have great (and great great and great great great and great great great great) grandparents who have competed in the Olympics for running. My uncle held some record for running some thing at the University of Alabama (I'm not sure if he still does or not) for many years. My dad was a runner of marathons, half marathons, 10Ks, and 5Ks until he tore his ACL about five years ago. So, running is in my blood. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

As I've also said above, I'm out of shape. My BMI (based on my height and weight) is 33. I'm technically obese and I'm not even 18 yet. Clearly, it's time for a change. And, somehow, the 1/2 marathon seems like the solution/motivation.

But how did this come to be? Let's rewind to about a month ago. I was on the DIS, minding my own business, when I read someone's TR about their experiences running the 1/2 Marathon. And I thought to myself "I could do that!" I made the mistake of mentioning this to my father. This conversation followed.

Me: "And they have characters along the course and it's supposed to be really fun. It could be a great way to get healthy and who wouldn't want to say they've run a half marathon at Disney?"
Him: "Yeah, that would be cool. We should do it; we so could."
Me: "Yeah, we totally could. It's in our blood."
Him: "Yes, yes it is. How much is it?"
Me: "$150 a person if we register before 19th June."
Him: "Cool, I'll think about it."

And think about he did; so much so that when I came over Friday night he goes "we'll go get shoes and register tomorrow."

I, of course, was over the moon. I had visions of myself running through the castle, along the roads, and getting a medal at the end. It was awesome.

Then I woke up this morning and I realised something: I'm in no shape to run 13 miles. I understand that's why you train and why you get healthy beforehand. But the thought was still terrifying.

I was ready to chicken out. Then, I remembered something about myself: I'm far more likely to do something if I'm accountable to someone else. Thus, this WISH Journal was born.

If I have an entire board full of people who know I'm going to do this thing, then I'm doing it full force.

Now, an explanation for the title. I love puns; I live for them. So I knew that when it came time to pick a title, it was only natural that I chose the greatest ever spoken:

"I used to have a fear of hurdles, but I got over it."

Classic.

Good luck on your journey from a fellow Canuck. I'll see you there! Keep up with the journaling.

Dang Allie, long time no speak, huh?

I haven't been over to the TB in years! Hope you are doing well. You gonna be a senior in HS this year?

Anyway, congratulations for taking the plunge! I was kind of in the same spot as you before my first half marathon in May, but you can make it! And you're right, who wouldn't want to do a half at Disney? That's an entirely different kind of motivation.

Let us know how you're doing and good luck!!

Good luck on your journey from a fellow Canuck. I'll see you there! Keep up with the journaling.
Aww, thank you so much! Yeah, maybe we'll run into each other :) Hopefully not literally though ;)
Dang Allie, long time no speak, huh?

I haven't been over to the TB in years! Hope you are doing well. You gonna be a senior in HS this year?

Anyway, congratulations for taking the plunge! I was kind of in the same spot as you before my first half marathon in May, but you can make it! And you're right, who wouldn't want to do a half at Disney? That's an entirely different kind of motivation.

Let us know how you're doing and good luck!!
KAYLA! Dude, I've missed you so much. I haven't been on the TB in a while as well, been super busy with school. Thank you! Are you doing the half?

Aww, thank you so much! Yeah, maybe we'll run into each other :) Hopefully not literally though ;)

KAYLA! Dude, I've missed you so much. I haven't been on the TB in a while as well, been super busy with school. Thank you! Are you doing the half?

:goodvibes

Yep, now I understand why everyone just uped and left. Life really does get in the way doesn't it? :rotfl2: No more spending all my summers DISing away...

Anyway, not the Disney half unfortunately. :(
I did do a local half in May though.

Wish I could do one at Disney! Some day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter